don't click here

SXSW 2020 Sonic the Hedgehog Panel - 20th March

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Pengi, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Agreed. I never understood when people say "there's nothing more to do with the boost formula." Like with that argument how much more can they do with the Classic formula? Yet Mania was great and most of us here want a 2nd one. There's still plenty to be done with the boost style if the level designs are up to snuff and it plays well like it did in Generations. Speaking of which, like look at all those side missions in that game. There is so much that can be done and other elements that can be added, like honestly I'd love to see some of the Lost World parkour adapted into the boost style, and I know I'm in the minority here but I really don't hate the wisps, well at least the ones that keep the action going (Like Cube is kinda stupid and Rocket is kinda clunky, and that's another argument I never got the whole "why are wisps still here they don't make sense to the plot." What about all the other shit that goes on in the games that doesn't make sense, no one ever questions the plot significance of the item monitors or the shields).

More can be done with anything if it's handled by the right people. Look at how well Mighty and Ray fit into the classic series with their new move sets, and also things like Encore mode mixing up the formula.

Actually I'd love to see a Sonic R spiritual successor that used the boost formula, I think that'd make an awesome racing game.

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Alright, so maybe it was a bit presumptuous of me to say they did everything they could with the gameplay style. My bad.
    But yeah you’re right on the money @Nova, I’m not the biggest fan of this gameplay style. I don’t hate the boost games (expect Colours), but they never brought me the trills the adventure era games did. I just want something different.
    And if they do make another boost game, it’s gonna be Forces 2 and nobody’s going to be happy anyway.

3. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Why’re y’all hating on Colors?!? That’s my favorite 3D Sonic game, I’d say it’s on par with Adventure.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like Colors but some don't like it either due to wisps or it's heavy reliance on block platforming.

5. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    3D sonic game, you say? That’s a bold statement to make for a game that’s essentialy New Super Mario Bros. with a Sonic skin:V
    Nah but I’m just kidding, I can definitely see why people like this game. I’m just extremely passive aggressive toward it for several reasons that would derail this topic, so I won’t get into them.

6. @Dark Sonic I thought I was the only one who looked at the boost formula and thought itd make perfect sense for a modern Sonic R game.

7. Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

8. BTW if there are any legitimate questions that the community wants answered, I happen to live in Austin and plan on going to this event. I went to the one with the Forces reveal as well.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yup, that's what I meant. A very literal keep Classic out of Modern games lol I love classic Sonic but he can stand on his own.

The only instance that I'd of been ok with Classic Sonic in a Modern game is if they put like, Classic Sonic, Mighty, and Ray into TSR as a team. And Generations but that was an exception (and executed well enough that I didn't care).

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I mean at this point they're well aware of it, but maybe ask about Sonic 3 one more time? Just to make sure they know the interest is still here.
    That could come off as a bit whiny though, so I'll leave it at your discretion.

11. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    That and it's not like Sonic in general is showing up with unannounced projects at major gaming trade shows to begin with. E3, Gamescom, TGS, TGA, PAX, and whathaveyou have not been platforms that Sega has debuted Sonic games at for a good while now. The smaller localized community events like Sonic SXSW and the 25th birthday party are what Sega has used to fill these voids.

And speaking of community interactions, what has happened to Sonic Boom and Summer of Sonic over the past few years? The two big (Western) fan conventions that existed well before the Sonic SXSW panels became commonplace? Their total absence / diminished publicity has only highlighted the contemporary dry spells from Sega even more.

Man, if games like Forces are everything Sonic Team could do with the boost playstyle; I'd be scared out of my wits to see everything they would do with a new Adventure game.

12. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Last year’s panel was fun to watch. I’m expecting more BotW2 news as well as a trailer for Bayonetta 3 and who knows, maybe they’ll give us a sneak peek of the upcoming Metroid Prime sequel. :specialed: Joking aside, prepare to meet SONIC2020.

13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Honestly I'm only hoping for a Mania 2 if they get Stealth's team back on it. Anyone else and I'll be extremely leery of what could possibly be "DIMPS Sonic 4 in a Mania skin".

3D-wise, I mainly just have a fascination with whatever 3D game will be announced, what decent idea they'll reveal and then show underwhelming gameplay for.

14. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Doesn't mean they won't do something online internally from Sega with the same basic content, but yes the in-person audience is gone. (Not exactly a huge loss where the Q&A is concerned...)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Was gonna go but it's the right call.

Hopefully a stream happens in place. Would like to hear any game related news.

17. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
  18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

As shame that it's been postponed to April in a new format, but it's a bigger shame that the coronavirus outbreak is a reality.