don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

i really, truly advise people that already know they want to see the movie to stop watching all these clips at this point...

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  2. Yeah, I went ahead and bought my tickets last night. No need to spoil any more of the flick before opening day.

3. camcommunicates

camcommunicates

Saw my first poster for the movie today in Barcelona. It definitely is weird seeing Sonic in the mainstream again, something I can’t say I’ve seen in 20ish years

Attached Files:

4. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member

They cleverly leave Sonic's feet off screen for this

5. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    You know, when I posted that Sonic licorice analogy, I assumed I'd get the usual boilerplate pile-on. "I don't know what licorice is", "You're just a hater", "the analogy is inaccurate", "I didn't bother actually reading it". Certainly no one bothered to give a thoughtful response as to why they reached that conclusion, but this is the usual case I have slowly come to realize. I'm not going to fight for reason or understanding anymore, I'll just withdraw, or so I had told myself... But then...

What I did not expect was to be BANNED for a week.

Let me be clear about something... While I alluded to a racist term for a candy which was no longer in use, I literally censored the word. I also clearly used the phrase in a disparaging manner which reflected it's negative social connotation. I literally held the phrase up (in censored form) as an illustrative tool BECAUSE it isn't socially acceptable. Yet, the reason I received for the ban was, ~"no one's used this term since the 80s so you're banned".

It's one thing write on these forums and get beat down every time because no one takes an honest effort to comprehend what you write, but to receive a ban for the same reason is an even further injury.

For some contrast, I recall drawing to the admins attention that a popular member was calling other members a derogatory term for homosexual (obviously I can’t allude to the word any further or I’ll get banned for advocating it) in their signature, and the response I received was basically, oh that’s just how he expresses himself…

Well mission accomplished, I won't ever attempt to share a thought again, and likely I’ll be banned for pointing out the irony and hypocrisy anyway.

6. A week ban is a small slap on the hand, so it's best to let it go.
    No matter what the intention was, it can be easily misconstrued. You're lucky it wasn't permanent.

7. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    None of that is enough when you're using a disparaging term born from racial prejudice. You really, really should've thought that one through more and not used it at all.

This bothers me too, but talking about it more here would drag this thread further off-topic.

8. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I'll say that I understood it was a reference to a historical use of the term, and while the comparison didn't make a lick of sense to me, I was surprised by the suspension. If someone wants to be deliberately insensitive, they wouldn't censor the word.

9. Agobue

Agobue

Here comes The Boom!

10. Oh God no.

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Why are we still here

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

Wait, what? What's that?

13. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    For what it's worth, I read your entire post, and understood the initial analogy. The last part however, genuinely took me off guard (as I had never heard of the brand), and I actually wanted clarification on what you meant before I responded. I gave you the benefit of the doubt before responding angrily, thinking I missed something.

But did it honestly never cross your mind that comparing the current state of affairs of Sonic to an overtly racist candy brand could unintentionally offend people? Especially when the current conversation had to do with the new rap song for the movie, featuring black artists? Get real.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    If your entire analogy hinges on you being able to use a highly inappropriate word to stick the landing, use a different fucking analogy. That's the last I'll say on it and the last I want to hear about it.

15. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Getting back on topic a bit, Jim Carrey was on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and they talked Sonic a little, including an extended cut of the "I'm in charge" scene from the original trailer. Jump to 4:15 if you want to get straight to the Sonic stuff.

16. Agobue

Agobue

It's just a fun little song for the kiddies to enjoy about everybody's favourite hedgehog. Why, have you got something against that?

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Ok, that joke got me to chuckle. I still love your work Jim.

18. RDNexus

RDNexus

Why would I? I didn't even see the video.
    I was just curious, nothing much xD

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

So apparently this cover of Endless Possibilities is on the Sonic movie soundtrack. Pretty neat.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Ew. I could only make it through about 20 seconds.