don't click here

Sega Ages: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Out Now on Switch

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Taylor, Nov 17, 2019.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'd have been fine with emulation if they'd still given Tails his damn flying ability. It's weird how he looks to be snubbed for all the extra content in his own debut game in favour of Knuckles, as nice as an extra the latter is. They don't seem to have even bulked up 2 player for him and with Drop Dash for Sonic he's essentially the 'dud' now.

But yeah, so much for all the scrapped content malarky. Looks set to be a nice package, but the whole 'definitive version of the game' hyping, yeah kinda bull.

2. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Hopefully they've kept a few surprises to reveal at a later date, but if not then at least it's gonna be a solid release. Not the definitive version (which of course is the mobile release) but including the Knuckles in Sonic 2 lock-on and making Knux playable in the other modes (including Challenge mode) is nice-more replay value. Especially if 2-player vs mode is not being included (I don't think it's been confirmed yet).

As I said over on Stadium, what I find strange is that there's no mention of Tails in challenge mode. It says only "Sonic & Knuckles". Why wouldn't they make Tails playable in challenge mode? It also implies they won't be adding Tails flight; "By using Knuckles' glide ability, you can reach places Sonic and Tails cannot" (Sonic has the drop-dash, Knuckles has his moveset so Tails should be given his flying ability) but regardless whether he has his flight of not there's no reason to exclude Tails from any of the modes/rankings. They even didn't show-off one screenshot of Tails playing solo. This sounds like a lazy effort on M2's part.

Come on SEGA this was Tails debut Mega-Drive game, he deserves more love!

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

My guess is maybe it was considered but backporting Tails' flying was pretty complicated, it has LOADS of extra branches and functions to consider (eg. swimming, carrying Sonic, hitting the boss with your propeller ass). I mean Spin Dash is the basic backported move most fan hackers here learn to do as practice and even M2's rendition of that is kinda buggy.

Adding Knuckles for extra abilities was an easier approach since the 'hacking' was already ready made, they just had to somehow fuse the ROM to use the same challenges as their base Sonic 2.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Sure. Make the original available. But don't bother adding anything to the original when the "special edition" exists that can be added to.

5. Dek Rollins

Dek Rollins

size of a tangerine Member
    US
    I'm not sure I understand this.
    I think optional extras that are being discussed here should definitely be in M2's release, like Tails' flying ability. Obviously the mobile version should be released on other platforms, but again, for people who want the original game without the fundamental alterations those contain, but still with new optional content or enhancements, M2 should be filling that in here, and it looks like it'll be lacking in that department.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If there's interest in keeping the original version for the sake of having the original, but all means do it. It's a great game and should be preserved for everyone to play in its original form (or as close to it as possible, since we're talking emulations).

But any new features/enhancements, they might as well all go into the remade versions. Release the "Special Edition" with all the bells and whistles and include within it the original game too.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    *sigh. Ya this is fine I guess but damn it why can't we just get a Taxman port. This just makes me sad more than anything

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    What makes me sad is the fact that I'll buy it again because I'm an idiot.

10. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I'm personally fine with the fact it's not the Retro Engine version, since we're probably going to get most of the additional features it had anyway. But it bothers me that they're probably not adding widescreen (c'mon M2, you're technological wizards, I doubt widescreen hacks are that hard)

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

So another worldwide release for the Sonic title.

Yeah, as said before, this one sounds like a decent package, but I still find M2's tweaks to Sonic 2 on both this and the DS version esoteric compared to fleshing out what the game obviously asks for (eg. Tails flying, bigger 2 player mode). I am kinda disappointed they seemingly didn't upgrade split screen in anyway since they have proven able to input screen enhancements and what not to some of their previous releases, though at least it's confirmed it's there at all after a previous screenshot scare.

I admit Puyo Tsu's details garners my interest even more, stating that it's getting a proper English localisation and Endless Puyo Mode (which I'm pretty certain wasn't in the original or listed for the Japanese AGES release a couple months ago).

Same really. I can never turn down a copy of the old Sonic games on whatever console I currently have.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean isn't Sonic 3 AIR basically something like that? It sources the main ROM and then tweaks it or something.

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

M2 are good in terms of professional industry, but not much as ROM hackers. Note their buggy spin dash in the AGES Sonic 1, something most basic hackers here can get right.

Some of the extras are impressive considering what most official releases usually churn, but I still get the feeling if some of the more advanced amateur hackers were working on these they'd be WAY more lavish in extras.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    and something common enough that we have a guide about it hahahahah

I'm super sick of them just spitting out the OG over and over again. we have the Sonic CD remaster on Steam. I don't understand what is stopping a port for the other remasters.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Here's hoping for some stealth (no pun intended) surprises missing content or something.

Frankly, though, someone just needs to mod/hack the android version into some kind of steam port and get it over with. Sega's never going to do it officially at this point, and emulating android is always a messy affair (though the port is very playable when you get it right).

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    We need a Sonic 1 AIR and a Sonic 2 AIR :V

But it's a shame that the expanded multiplayer and Hidden Palace will forever be locked away on mobile, however both are available to play on the Amazon Fire stick, so if you have that and a controller you can play them on a TV that way.

17. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think they work on Apple TV too. It’s not entirely impossible to play them on a big screen.

18. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I've tried playing them on Android for Switch but it's not really ready to rock yet, was having some image stretching issues unfortunately. It's too bad, that would really be the ideal way to play the remasters in their current state.

19. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I mean the M2 release looks good, but I wouldn't think SEGA's readding HPZ anytime soon, either.

I'll probably pass, though, since I do have the remaster on Android. All I need is a BT controller and I'm good to go, but I do like M2's rereleases as a whole. SEGA could do more, but I can't deny most of them do have some nice features i.e. Phantasy Star's mapping and FM/PSG switch.

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I admit if they even just add Tails flying ability alone, I'll probably rank this a good entry, it would leave all three guys perfectly represented like they are in Mania, also it bugs to no end only one release of the game bothered to add it.

It's not M2's fault specifically that they have a tough act to follow, but that addition would be the sure fire sign they had tried with this one.