don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    That's the most logical explanation. It's either that or Iizuka's "explanation" that "everyone had amnesia in 2006."

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    She already has fire powers in '06.

3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA it's quite a continuity snarl isn't it??

4. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    Is it possible the save battery in the Sonic 3 cat will die? I'm not really familiar with the way the saves in Sonic 3 works.

I'm only asking because I was playing S3&K on my Genesis model 1. I switch out S3 and connected S2&K. After that I put S3&K back on. I turned on my genesis and got a white flicking screen. When I got to the save data it wasn't erased but my Sonic save file had all 7 chaos emeralds and it was on Mushroom hill zone. My tails save file was on flying batter with 3 emeralds. There is no Knuckles save file at all.

This is frustrating because I had 3 save files prior. All 3 characters with hyper emeralds. What is going on here?

5. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    How so? Neither game explains why she has fire powers.

Also, none of the Sonic games explains why Sonic can run fast.

6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

For all the dumb plot holes in the series that were introduced by SEGA just not giving a fuck, Blaze's powers aren't among them. Sonic is fast, Knuckles is strong, Silver has telekinetic abilities, Blaze has power over fire etc etc.

7. Prototype

Prototype

Though ancillary material from various continuities in the early days implied it had to do with Sonic's shoes. An easy inference to make even if it potentially robs the title character itself of it's seeming uniqueness. That being said; through powerups in-game they reference Sonic's trademark shoe as being a symbol for speed boosts (the shoe monitor icon doesn't change with the character), thus potentially making it an in-game inference if not a full explanation as to how Sonic can run so fast.

Personally I like the idea that he's a naturally agile hedgehog, whose natural speed was enhanced and supported by a special set of shoes. Frankly there's a lot of merit in the old UK Kintobor/Sonic origins that still hold up this day. I wonder how much early Western lore will be in the upcoming movie?

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I hope there are exactly zero references to the Western origin or the shoes thing. Even the Western cartoons ignored them. Those things fall in the "trying to explain things that need no explanation" category in my book. Do we really need to know why Sonic is blue and fast, or why Eggman is fat and evil? Should they also explain why Knuckles is red and super strong? And what about Blaze, Espio, and all the other anthros who have unrealistic colors and/or special abilities?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  9. Prototype

Prototype

Duh, Midichlorians.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    One could assume that in Sonic Rush since Blaze says she is cursed by Iblis' flames, and Iblis shows up in '06 along with Blaze, that that is the source of her powers, despite the seemingly retcons '06 did with Blaze in particular.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think she was just born with fire powers :V

12. I don't think it would've been the origins of her powers, as Blaze herself said that her soul was already 'covered in flames' or something along those lines which is why Iblis wouldn't accept Silver as its host, so Blaze sealed it within herself instead and sent herself to another dimension. My guess is that 06's timeline reset at the end of the game led to Blaze being reborn as the Princess from the Sol Dimension and guardian of the Sol Emeralds. It's possible that Iblis being sealed within her is why she can use the Sol Emeralds and become Burning Blaze.

But that's just my take, the continuity for Sonic's been a mess since arguably Adventure 2.

13. Pengi

Pengi

Iblis isn't mentioned in Sonic Rush. But she does mention her powers at least a couple of times.

Blaze vs Sonic
    Ending
    Make of that what you will. No idea if it differs in Japanese, if anything got lost in translation.

Yeah, that's best way to make sense of it all. The idea that Blaze became tethered to her new dimension and untethered from Sonic's dimension. So when the timeline was rewritten in Sonic's dimension, it didn't account for Blaze, since she was no longer native. With her original history deleted, she was retrofitted into the history of her new dimension.

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
  15. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I would really love them to just re-release the original short, only give us a bit of a quality update. Sega's official upload (assuming it's still on their youtube) was only uploaded at 720p!

The only way to watch it officially at a higher quality now is to download it to the PS3 from the Japanese Playstation Network!

Don't forget there was also a 3D version of the short shown at Joypolis, that's never seen a home or 'internet' release, at least that I'm aware of. Would love a bit of a 10th anniversary re-release at some point.

16. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

There's a better version of that short on PSN? Why hasn't it been ripped?

17. Gryson

Gryson

So does anybody have this book? "Memories of Michael Jackson" (マイケル・ジャクソンの思い出) by Mayumi Nina Sakazaki, published in 2010. She was MJ's coordinator in Japan and worked with him extensively.

A listing on Yahoo Auctions includes a picture of the table of contents, and there is an entire chapter called "Michael and Sega."

Why do we not have this translated yet?! There are a few vague references to the book on this site but I don't think anybody has documented it clearly.

Some of the (vague) chapter subheadings:

-"I came here because I like Sega games."
    -Meeting with Yuji Suzuki [a combination of Yuji Naka and Yu Suzuki?! funny error]
    -"I don't need any payment."
    -"In exchange, I will make new songs."

Other vague references to this book state that Sakazaki does mention Sonic 3 and MJ, by the way.

This book is available on Amazon.co.jp used for less than $4. If somebody buys it and scans the Sega chapter, I will translate it. Unfortunately I cannot have it shipped to me right now or I would do it myself.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Fixed that for you. :V

19. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Vangar

Vangar

The save is actually flash memory so there's no way it will die like older ones with a battery, but it has finite uses. However i've had this problem before. The data gets scrambled and you either lose everything or strange things happen. I think it's from the lock-on connection being mis-aligned. Some more info: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...chips-are-nice-(Sonic3-related-stuff-in-here)