don't click here

SEGA launches the Sonic 2020 project, promises to release Sonic news on the 20th of every month

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by DreamsComeBlue, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    (sigh) can one of these news be that they're overhauling the 3D model they use in all these renders? look at how static Sonic looks.

That said...

yeah this is how I feel too. In my case, especially because I really don't care for the current 3D games and the team that made Mania no longer really exists, so there isn't even much for me to look forward to out of all of this.

2. Pengi

Pengi

The Japanese team haven't ever done cryptic clues, and that's not what was announced.

I wouldn't expect every month to be a video game related reveal. Probably more along the lines of "We've partnered with Reebok to make Sonic sneakers", or "Here are the dates for the next Sonic Adventure Music Experience".

I reckon the timing is about right for a new animated series though.

3. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    I don't expect anything Sonic-related from EveningStar any time soon. If I were them, I'd make the next couple of releases something original. I doubt they want to tie their future success that closely to the rollercoaster that is the Sonic franchise.

4. DreamsComeBlue

DreamsComeBlue

Controversial opinion here, and a little afield from the topic, but I don't think Sonic needs just a new 3D model to freshen things up. Rather, Sonic is about 22 years overdue for another redesign. When they soft rebooted the franchise in 1998, made the characters taller, gave Sonic green eyes, etc., it was because Sonic Team was worried that Sonic had become too cutesy and safe. He needed to seem "cool" again. I don't know what would make him look cooler at this point, or if a significant number of people think this design has grown stale. I personally think it carries the baggage of a lot of truly mediocre terrible games with it, and a fresh new take on Sonic that still retains his essential characteristics could be just what the doctor ordered. I don't even think he necessarily needs as drastic a redesign as before (and let's just pretend Boom never happened), but I think something should happen for the 30th anniversary. And I hope that come November or December of this year they'll start dropping teasers for the redesign, just like they did in the months preceding SA way back when.

5. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Haha Sega, you've never changed, yet again we get a announcement of a announcement. :V Though I am intrigued on what games we're going to get this decade, especially with Sonic's 30th anniversary next year. I'm sure we'll be getting a game based around the movie at some point. xD

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Nobody:

Overeager Sonic fans: "The way Sonic is holding the ring in the promo means kNuCkLeS cHaOtIx Hd ReMaKe CoNfIrMeD!1!1!"

7. Turbohog

Turbohog

I think they should go back to his Adventure design. It actually had style and character. The model/style they've been using since Unleashed is soulless and generic.

8. DreamsComeBlue

DreamsComeBlue

I've never been able to see much of a difference between the Adventure design and everything we've had since. It's all Modern Sonic to me, with just slight variations here and there (e.g. Sonic Heroes).

9. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

I'm pretty sure the Heroes design has been the main one since the early 2000s. The '06 design was only used in two games (Sonic '06, of course, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl), while Secret Rings returned to the Heroes design and it's been used ever since.

10. DreamsComeBlue

DreamsComeBlue

I was in the middle of writing a reply when you deleted it. :V

Anyway, I just wanted to say that the shade of blue used in that fan art and in this new Sonic Team render is almost exactly the same.
    [​IMG]
    The whole "classic Sonic is lighter" thing is mostly a meme started by the Sonic Mania team, anyway. Looking back to Sonic 3&K era you see that he was always cobalt blue.
    [​IMG]
    Say what?
    [​IMG]

11. DreamsComeBlue

DreamsComeBlue

Oh God, no. It's sad that I can totally see SEGA doing that. They'd probably farm it out to Big Red Button to develop and release it only on Switch and mobile.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Looks the same to me. CGI just got better.

13. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Gonna have to agree. If someone's bored enough to make an itemized list of changes in Sonic's design post-Adventure, I'd love to see it.

14. If it means actually announcing some dang games in there, that would be nice.

We haven't gotten any new Sonic game news since EARLY 2019 with Team Sonic Racing, which was dropped from support immediately when released and had no post launch support. It was the PERFECT game to have DLC tracks and new teams (Team Chaotix, Team Babylon, Team Classic, Team "R"), but the game came and went with little to no fanfare, they dropped it so hard there were not even any patches to fix some clear issues with the game!

They will have to show me these "announcements" will matter for me to care. I am not expecting much as of right now.

15. I'm just hoping we're not getting another weird sounds / fails in the streams again for the game reveal.

16. This, 100%. I get that Sega and Sonic Team are Japanese, but why they continue to court a market that has near-zero interest in Sonic as a franchise is beyond me.

17. Pengi

Pengi

The Sonic brand is profitable enough in Japan to continue releasing video games and merchandise there. It’s the Japanese marketing team’s job to promote all of their products in Japan. With a Hollywood movie release this year and the series’ 30th anniversary next year, they’ve determined that now is a good time to give the brand an extra push.

18. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    tbh? make him cute again.

Lots of the hype I see from (younger) Sonic fans regarding the movie is how cute he looks in certain screenshots or renders. Tryhard "cool" is out, cute is in, in general.

Adding to that as well, with the clear contrast between Mania and Forces, Classic Sonic has more of a better reputation among non-Sonic fans as of late than Modern does.

19. Oh boy, can't wait to see that after sitting through announcements of announcements and false hype for a game that undoubtedly will be:

-about 3 hours long
    -a "3D" game that's mostly 2.5D 90% of the time
    -level design will be mostly straight lines and blocky platforming
    -virtually no replay value outside of collecting Red Star Rings/Numbers/Moon Rings (which isn't really fun, tbh) that lead to underwhelming unlockable content
    -gameplay will amount to "hold X to go fast", unless some dumb gimmick gets thrown in that somehow makes the game even less fun
    -wisps being shoved in again
    -more Green Hill Zone for no reason other than "Remember the Genesis/Mega Drive?"
    -a final boss that's just a reskin of Colors' final boss again
    -a paper-thin plot with cringey meta jokes that makes you wonder why they even put stories in these games at all
    -but has a solid soundtrack

20. Pengi

Pengi

Keep in mind that they never said these SONIC2020 announcements would relate to a video game.