don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. dredd

dredd

Banned
    What if the next big original villain in IDW Sonic is a Devil-type character? (Kinda like Mephiles)

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    At this point I just want to know what Knuckles has been up to while all this is going on. Is he completely oblivious to what's been going on after the first arc? Just eating breakfast one day, looks down off the edge of the island and sees half of the planet is metal, says "Nope.", and goes back to the Master Emerald? If so, that's a Knuckles I can get behind.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm surprised Robotnik hasn't dumped the virus on Angel Island. Considering its remoteness, it'd make an effective staging post for future distributions.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Flynn seems to respect the fact that Knuckles has a job, unlike Sega.

Also they may still be unsure what to do with Knuckles after the whole Archie mess. Shame some of the Archie post reboot ideas couldn't be used here, I liked Eclipse and Knuckles's Koala friend. I also liked reboot Snively, double crossing GUN agent suits him.

5. Jason

Jason

Relic was a pika, and I loved her. A spunky archeologist and an ancient automaton on a land of mystery with one native inhabitant, a ghost, and a diety? Of all the things post-reboot, I wanted to see where that went the most.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  6. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I’ve not followed this IDW series at all, which is shame seeing as the art style and current plots are exactly what I wanted back in the mid-2000’s.

I’ll have to see if I can get the backlog somewhere in the U.K.!

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Fleetway was doing that in isolated testbeds back in 1995. ;P

[​IMG]

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, she was a pika. Not sure what that is but sure. But agreed overall. And Knuckles and Relic made a kinda cute pairing. I also wanted to see where that idea went.

9. Jason

Jason

A stumpy rabbit.

10. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    To be fair, a lot of things can have "Fleetway did it!" tied to them.

Rogue badnik turned against Robotnik? Shortfuse the Cybernik.
    Metal Sonic turning against Robotnik? The Metallix saga.
    White Echidna that is a bad guy? Zachary.
    A stoic rival of Sonics with a mysterious past that he doesn't know due to amnesia? Fleetway's Knuckles.
    Charmy being a nutjob that people find annoying? Guess what...
    Travel to Earth from Sonic's World being possible? Yup.
    Arabian styled adventure? Shanazar.
    Robotnik manages to capture Sonic for a prolonged period of time and takes over Sonic's World during his absence? Forces or Fleetway?

That comic did a lot that other media did later.

11. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    There was a story about a "Black Knight" too :p

12. The Claw

The Claw

To be honest, no longer having Sonic comics on newsstands probably has just as much to do with my falling behind.
    Stores OTHER THAN comic shops are how I knew and loved the Archie comics and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I suppose I can't say I'm particularly bothered by lacking ongoing story development. (why am I reading Rin-ne?)

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    So does anyone else wonder if they're building up different powered gemstones as a sort of individual Chaos Emerald type deal? The Chaos Emeralds, the Phantom Ruby, the Warp Topaz (the Time Stones maybe?), I get the feeling they might make seven different kinds, or create one for each common gemstone. I'm half expecting some kind of Gravity Sapphire next or something akin to that.

14. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

This pacing is the actual worst. I think the editor needs to reel Ian Flynn back in because I feel like he's out of control with it. He wants this big grandiose story, but like, it's just not working. It's not interesting and that makes the bad pacing even worse.

15. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    This whole ongoing arc has really scared me off of getting into IDW Sonic.

Maybe when it finally ends?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya, this is going on too long. I dont think this series was ready for this kind of arc yet. Not enough world building has been done prior and unlike the Archie series, there are no subplots. Like ya, the last issues of Archie were a giant Unleashed arc, but other things happened along the way in more contained 4 issue sets. This is just zombot zombot zombot. I don't think it's bad, but like this is graphic novel length at this point and there hasn't been enough to break things up.

Archie was also in a unique place where while some game plots happened, some didn't, so they could play around with more pre-existing stories. It also pulled from more Sonic media. This has none of that. Every game already happened and only the modern Sonic cast is allowed. No SatAM, no AoSth, no Hooligans, no Mighty or Ray, no Tails Sky Patrol or Adventure villains. There was so much more to work with there. Now that's gone. Why else would he incorporate fucking Zeti so soon? He has nothing else he can use from the series as villains.

17. Jason

Jason

I agree this is getting too grandiose. Incorporating the Zeti as a last minute boss rush is almost exactly how they were brought into the Sonic/Megaman crossover. Probably because it's hard to add to such one-dimensional characters who've only been in one game with no real intrigue surrounding them, unlike say the Great Battle Kukku. Without being able to acknowledge pre-Adventure content at all, let alone any of the ramifications of the world change post-Unleashed, Modern Sonic's world is pretty barren right now. I think Flynn feels obligated to create an actual story in the absense of one in the games lately, and as a result hasn't set aside enough time to allow for this world to develop more naturally. Hopefully the next season doesn't aim for something this big. Two year arcs are too much right now.

18. BartG

BartG

Poland
    I just caught up with the series and reading it back to back, the pacing in this arc didn't feel too bad, but I can imagine it wasn't that great when read monthly. I do think, however, that the arc is way too long and should've ended 2 or 3 issues ago. Instead, it's just now coming to an end, albeit very slowly. I thought the first arc was fantastic and exactly what Sonic stories should be like, to me.
    I also kinda like that there are no subplots. I think that keeps things moving in this already long storyline and really sells the feeling of urgency and panic this arc is trying to convey. But I do think that it got kinda tiring and the fact that we got a breather only recently, when the gang arrived at Angel Island isn't the greatest.
    I didn't read too much Archie so I can't really compare them, but I also agree that introducing the Zeti, of all characters, wasn't the best move. I mean, they have a purpose in the story, but I also feel other characters could've fit their role. That said, I think it might've been a deliberate choice to use only characters from the games and brand new creations. To make this more appealing to new readers and make this a more "generic" Sonic comic.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    Ian and Evan are still collaborating on big-picture trajectory and they plan to swap a bunch, but I'm still really interested to see what comes of this. It's clear that losing the Archie Reboot universe and the Freedom Fighters hit him pretty hard, so it'll be nice to have someone extra adding to the world.

Plus this set of arcs sounds really cute and refreshing after... well, a virus-based apocalypse that's hitting a little too close to home right now. :V