don't click here

Sonic Hacking Contest 2019 - THE RESULTS

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]
    Another Sonic Hacking Contest comes to an end…

Please note that entry evaluation from the Judges will be coming soon. This year they will be on the website, rather than through Google Drive, so please wait for them.

[​IMG]

Judged – 1st Place
    Sonic 2 Advanced Edit by Team AE

Judged – 2nd Place
    Hellfire Saga by Hardline Team

Judged – 3rd Place
    Sonic Gaiden by AeroArtwork

Community – 1st Place

Community – 2nd Place

Community – 3rd Place

[​IMG]

Judged – 1st Place

Judged – 2nd Place

Judged – 3rd Place
    Sonic the Hackable by CHRdutch

Community – 1st Place

Community – 2nd Place

Community – 3rd Place
    SONIC AND THE MYSTIC GEMS (project S.A.M.G.) by Harder Project

Judged and Community - Best Visual - Entry voted to have the best graphical work

HONOURABLE MENTION FOR COMMUNITY: Hellfire Saga by Hardline Team

Judged - Best Audio - Entry voted to have the best sound work

Community - Best Audio - Entry voted to have the best sound work

Judged and Community - Best Technical - Entry voted to have the best technical work

Judged and Community - Best Level Design - Entry voted to have the best level design work

Best Voted by Media Panel
    Sonic 2 Chaos Adventure by JDpense

[​IMG]

Judged and Community – 1st Place
    Sonic Adventure 2: Randomizer by Prahaha

Judged and Community – 2nd Place
    SA2: Blazy Mix by Darkybenji

Judged and Community – 3rd Place
    Sonic 06 Legacy of Solaris by JotaroPowered

Judged and Community - Best Visual - Entry voted to have the best graphical work
    SA2: Blazy Mix by Darkybenji

Judged - Best Technical - Entry voted to have the best technical work

Community - Best Technical - Entry voted to have the best technical work
    2P ShadowTH 2.0 by dreamsyntax

HONOURABLE MENTION FOR COMMUNITY: Sonic Adventure 2: Randomizer by Prahaha

[​IMG]

Judged – 1st Place

Judged – 2nd Place
    Sonic Mania: Advanced Quest by Balibali_418

Judged – 3rd Place
    Amy Mania by troopsushi

Community – 1st Place

Community – 2nd Place
    Amy Mania by troopsushi

Community – 3rd Place

Judged and Community - Best Audio - Entry voted to have the best sound work

Judged and Community - Best Technical - Entry voted to have the best technical work
    Amy Mania by troopsushi

Judged and Community - Best Level Design - Entry voted to have the best level design work
    SONIC MANIA WARPED by Ggyas2202

HONOURABLE MENTION FOR COMMUNITY: Sonic Gaiden by AeroArtwork

Amy Mania by troopsushi

[​IMG]

Judged and Community - Most Entertaining - Entry voted to be the most entertaining

Judged and Community - Most "WTF?!" - Entry voted the most "what the absolute fuck is this?!"
    (traditionally the Polygon Jim trophy)
    I made you a Salad by VAdaPEGA

Judged and Community - Best Team Entry - Entry voted best that was made by a team

Community - Best Team Entry - Entry voted best that was made by a team

HONOURABLE MENTION FOR COMMUNITY: Sonic 2 Advanced Edit by Team AE

Judged and Community - Best Multiplayer Entry - Entry voted to have the best multiplayer functionality

Judged - Best Fresh Concept Using Existing Concepts As A Backbone

Community - Best Fresh Concept Using Existing Concepts As A Backbone

Judged and Community - Most Potential - Entry thought to have the most future potential

Judged and Community - Most Improved - Entry thought to be the most improved since its last submission in a previous contest

[​IMG]
    3D: Judged and Community - Best Audio - Entry voted to have the best level sound work
    3D: Judged and Community -
    Best Level Design - Entry voted to have the best level design

[​IMG]
    This year was the first year where we revamped the trophy system, splitting the contest into three sections – Retro, 3D and 2D PC. We also changed the trophies in terms of the amount, and of course the fact that the public can now vote for all of the trophies. This was done to make the contest fairer for all, to address last year’s issue with a large amount of 3D entries being submitted…but this year there had been a downturn in 3D submissions, most being SA2 model mods, and no Generations mods whatsoever. We appreciate all submissions however, and hope people can submit next year.

Unfortunately, we do know there are still some things to iron out here. Fortunately not as much as last year, which had a late start and a late finish. Needless to say next year we’ll be doing the Contest Week earlier than December. We already have some changes ready to go for next year, such as how to address the abundance of model mods, as we know people have made their views on them.

We omitted a few trophies which meant a few good hacks this year have gone home empty handed, and we’re sorry for that. As all trophies can be voted by the community, it would have been unfair to add some more solely for the Judges, or add them for everyone mid-week or later on which would have meant those who already voted may not end up voting for the newly added trophies.

Expect trophies for things such as characters and bosses to return for next year, and if you have any others in mind please let us know. There is a Feedback form for a reason, please fill it out whilst it is still open.

We know that there will be some who aren’t so pleased when only a few entries win the entire contest, thinking that the rest of the entries just didn’t deserve recognition. That’s completely wrong and all entries are worth your time, there’s many in the Expo to play as well. Some Expo entries especially could have been in the Contest with their quality of submission – the website still remains open for your consideration.

If you want to watch the Results Show hosted by MegaGWolf and Tails' Channel, click here.

[​IMG]
    • All Judges this year for their hard work in ensuring the Contest ran from start to finish.
    • All of the Media Panel for their many streams and videos…which you can access here.
    • SeanieB for providing server hosting and of course Cinossu for the website.
    • redhotsonic for this year’s trailer.
    • Everyone who submitted to the Contest or Expo, no matter if they won trophies or not.
    • And You…for taking part in the Contest Week.

[​IMG]
    We will be back for the Sonic Hacking Contest 2020.

Information for that will be posted hopefully by the end of this year, as we don’t expect to do much fixes for next year.
    As mentioned, we expect an earlier Contest Week than this year, so the sooner the announcement is out, the better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Glad Hellfire got some trophies. I was quite impressed by the gameplay, amongst other things.

Like most years, there was some great content which I hope to see more of in the future. Oh, and a big well done to everyone involved. Not just the people who submit their work but to the judges, the media panel, the website and everything else I neglect to mention.

3. Congrats to all the winners!

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Congratulations to the winners, and thanks to all involved for another great contest week!
    I must say though, I do miss the more creative/fun trophy names.

5. Vangar

Vangar

Hellfire is absolutely mind blowing. Can anyone get Sonic 2 Advanced Edit to run on hardware? It crashes after the start screen for me on Megadrive 1 using an everdrive ...

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    No it doesn't work on hardware. They are looking at making a newer build soon to address a number of issues found in the SHC entry, but I don't know if they have found the hardware faults yet.

Also, Misc Trophies banner is now made and inserted in the results post.

Don't forget to get your own evaluations in, as we want to get as many responses as possible before we close it and start planning things for next year.

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I meant to post something here much sooner.

Thanks to everyone who voted for S2:AE! As this is certainly the last time I will submit anything to the contest, winning the contest again after so many years is a really nice end for this hack.
    It was really great to finally be able to reveal S2:AE after keeping it a secret for so long, and being able to see other people play (and hopefully enjoy) it.

I'm still trying to catch up watching the streams, but I want to thank to thank everyone involved in the contest. Everyone who put the contest together, the streamers, and everyone who submitted their work - it's amazing that this is still going in 2019 and I hope it continues for years to come. It was a lot of fun, and there are some great entries this year.

My personal favorites so far (haven't had a chance to check them all out):

Hellfire Saga, though those bosses are tricky, the the whole hack was really fun and felt super polished, tons of great layout. I liked this more than I had expected

SONIC AND THE MYSTIC GEMS, Obviously a lot of work has been put into this hack. I see a lot of people complaining about the layouts, but I think that's what I like most about it! The maze like layouts coupled with the new music give the game a more relaxing almost Ecco feel.

I made you a Salad, This one was just odd, but it was done so well and I really enjoyed it.

Also it's nice to see Mania and 3D Sonic hacks starting to take off!

Thanks again to everyone!

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
  9. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Sorry for the very long delay in getting these out but here are all available evaluations from last year's Contest, on a per judge basis, rather than per entry. Find out what the judges thought about the entries!

It was every intention to get these out earlier but a lot of things got in the way, including the website going down due to a server upgrade affecting the framework it was coded in, which meant the original plan with evaluations wasn't going to be available this year due to the amount of time it requires for a code rewrite to happen. It'll be sorted for SHC2020, don't worry about that.

Speaking of, what about SHC2020? Expect information regarding that very soon...

10. Vangar

Vangar

Is there an easy way to go through previous years and check out the older hacks? Seems like once the site shuts for maintenance its kinda hard to download anything anymore.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    An archive of all previous entries is in the plans.