don't click here

Which is the better (ie: least painful) way to play Sonic 06?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Jonny Axehandle, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Jonny Axehandle

Jonny Axehandle

Man and machine and nothing there in between Oldbie
    Last time I bought a new Sonic game (Mania not included) was Shadow the Hedgehog. I'm on a quest to catch up with the franchise, to see what I've missed out on (regardless of their infamous reputation). I'm starting with 06.

Everyone knows about the PS3's awful loading times, but I hear the 360 is more glitchy. Can anyone confirm this? I've been searching and couldn't find a concrete answer. (I might be crazy enough to try both)

Also, I'm getting a bit of a "Mandela Effect" here: wasn't this supposed to be released on PC?

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think there were rumors or some early posters that said the game might have come out on PC, but it never came to fruition.

That being said though, best way to play Sonic 06 is to not play the main game but to play the P-06 project for the PC. It's not done yet, but it's by far the best experience with Sonic 06 I've had even though it likes to chug on my PC. It's been a while since I've played 06 on console but I have played both versions. From what I recall I think the 360 version was slightly better, if only because installing it on your console cut down on load times.

Not sure if you're able to play modded games on your 360, but there's a hack of 06 called Legend of Solaris that adds some new features and fixes some things. And of course there's also the Project 06 mod for Generations that I still don't think is done yet and that's... fine. Still more playable than the actual 06 IMO but still not great.

3. Jonny Axehandle

Jonny Axehandle

Excellent, thanks a lot! I'll have to look into modded games for 360, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue.

4. All of these are better than 06 itself.

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I played the Xbox 360 version beginning to end. 100%’d it.

And I enjoyed it. Every second of it. Fight me.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Good for you!

On topic: I’d recommend P-06 as well.

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I actually think playing vanilla 06 is not a completely fruitless experience. It's not gonna be fun, but I think it's really informative and you'll learn a lot about what you like in Sonic games. That's what happened for me anyway.
    And more importantly, as Dark Sonic mentioned none of the fan projects or mods are complete. And I also don't think they make the game significantly better.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    All the fan projects are fundamentally the same game (save for the Generations 06 one, that suffers from the issue of putting levels into a game where the gameplay isn't the same) just with some quality of life improvements IMO. P-06 looks like it has the most potential to ever get "finished" compared to the others, although the Generations 06 Project always seems to be *that* close to being done.

9. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

What would you people say is more playable right now, the Legacy of Solaris mod or P-06? Is there any place where I can see the list of changes?

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think Legacy of Solaris is more playable as in you can play more of the game, but P-06 is more accessible because you don't need a modded 360 to play it.

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

What about gameplay alone?

Does P-06 even aim to fix stuff, or is it trying to stick as close to Sonic 06 as possible, glitches and all?

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    P-06 aims to fix the control issues/glitches the original has. All the characters playable so far are far superior and in some cases even have new moves. Silver is quick and fun to play as now and has a projectile move, Tails has his Adventure tail whip back and the power meter is used to indicate flight remaining, and Sonic and Knuckles just work how they should have from the get go. Also the buttons are mapped better now, no more bouncing into a pit while attempting a light speed dash

There was another 06 PC project though that aims to stick close to the original save for glaring faults. Don't know what's up with that one lately though.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    If we're talking official release? I believe XBOX360 version installed to the HDD is the least painful.

From what I remember, the PS3 version had a few more glitches and gremlins under the bonnet that weren't present on Xbox, but I've heard conflicting things over the years.

I also heard Unleashed and Generations were a bit more stable on 360 as well. Not sure if SEGA put more priority into those versions, or if they were just easier to port or whatevs... PS3 Unleashed's framerate was uncapped and a bit all over the place I recall.

14. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Just a minor detour here, but yes, it was rumoured to be coming out on the PC - as the back of the instruction book [advertising Sonic '06] to Sonic Riders showed us:

(Please excuse the camera flash; this was actually taken years ago)

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Makes me wish Riders received a PC rerelease. Looking back it was a fun game

16. Jonny Axehandle

Jonny Axehandle

Thought it was something like that. Also that PC DVD logo's giving me some pre-steam PC gaming nostalgia, from back when stuff was just "on PC" instead of a given digital storefront.

17. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

I have also beaten 06 twice. I wouldn't say I enjoyed every second of it, but at least I liked something enough about it to bother finishing.
    Can't say the same about Heroes, but you have to beat that shit three times to beat it once..

18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    How have we got this far down the thread without someone not just saying "Don't" =P

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  20. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    I had a reply written up that started "Suffer a brain injury to the point that you no longer remember what videogames even are" but I backed out of it, it was too mean to be funny.