don't click here

Sonic 3 (Nov 3, 1993 prototype) - Technical Analysis & Research thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by JoseTB, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    @Epsilonsama Fairly certain the design process was:
    1: Deducing the problem as pointed out by Lurker
    2: Looking at the available inputs once the d-pad was eliminated and realizing that only the jump button was left
    3: Testing with a second tap of the jump button and realizing that people that spam the jump button out of habit would accidentally activate it
    4: Making it a short hold of jump to alleviate the problem

In short: iteration and testing.

Sorry if that's overly simplistic, but there's literally like 5 basic inputs in classic Sonic games, minus pause and super transformation.

How they decided on the maths that controls the speed on landing might be a more interesting question, but having seen a disassembly of the code, I suspect the only answer you would get would be "iteration and testing".

Edit: crap, this is how threads devolve into speculation.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    They couldn't figure out that you could move that barrel up and down by PRESSING UP AND DOWN, so don't expect the average kid playing Sonic games to be able to figure out that "different buttons do different things".

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    I actually kinda like it tbh, it makes sense to have a thread for hard research

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    I am evil.png

I am evil.
    I am planning to use original labels and constants through harvesting incomplete symbol dumps in Jam, S&K Collection, CD Gems, and S2 Nick Arcade. Labels that are missing, I'll have to recreate.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  5. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Okay, this is pretty cute. At $132802, there's a seemingly unreferenced KosM archive that contains all of HCZ's enemies except the flies for some reason. And in the middle of that archive, there's this little guy:

tiny.png

Still haven't found any mappings, but here's an educated guess. Don't talk to me or or my son.

big.gif tiny.gif

• Like x 10
    • Funny x 8
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • List
  6. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    All I can imagine now is a train of baby badniks following the adult when it runs away.

7. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    How do baby badniks work anyway? It's not like robots grow into adult forms. Eggman must have made baby forms. That's just bizarre.

8. KMetalmind

KMetalmind

Maybe HCZ was going to be used on 2P mode?

9. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Absolutely not. The same KosM archive also contains the art for most other HCZ enemies, and all of them besides Turbo Spiker are regular sized.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  10. I can see why Turbo Spiker and Bugernaut were increased in size for the final game. Such tiny badniks would have been hard to see, and also rather annoying to deal with.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't think that's what happened, specially when one of those two has the "baby" forms following it in the final game.

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Or they didn't want to waste the graphics and added little ones to the fly? Kind of clever if that was the case.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000

Never in my life have I needed something that I never knew existed and just found out about so badly

14. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    Shifting test. DEBUG equ is set to 1 so that I can move the code at various locations. Only took a few more pointers I forgot to uncover before the game could run without disastrous results... Overall, so far so good. Still needs work, though.

shift test.png

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  15. failsandwich

failsandwich

Hell
    Would it be possible to transplant the prototype's music into the final version of the game, or is the sound engine too different?

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    We can transplant music from Sonic 1 into S3K and vice versa, it is absolutely possible.

Also, Sonic & Knuckles Collection's mod loader already has the prototype music available to use ingame, if you're into that.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Anyone get Sonic 3 proto disassembly set up for SonLVL yet? You know to view the layouts, tiles ect.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  18. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Jorge Nuno from the SSRG Discord has a disassembly set up and has been posting map rips on TCRF.