don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    [​IMG]
    Huh, this is odd. Apparently Sonic Unleashed has received an Xbox One/Xbox 360 reprint.

Wonder why they'd go through the trouble?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  2. Powpuck

Powpuck

GG Sonic on an acient euro microcomputer.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Actually, it's an Amstrad GX console based on a CPC microcomputer.

4. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

So I was doing some research for a new video (unrelated to this one) and happened across this odd piece of footage.

It seems that in 1993, Sega held a national championship competition in Australia (They also did in Europe so it might be part of the same event) to find the 'best' Sega gamer.

Now according to this, the final event was shown on an Australian TV show called "Hey Hey It's Saturday". The clip is only few min long but apparently there is a lot more to this tv show.

Annoyingly the clip cuts off right as the giant Sonic Mascot enters the studio.

According to the comments, the person who uploaded it suffered a computer failure and lost the other parts, and a contestant also commented on the video who claims he still has the shirt.

Anyone able to shed anymore light on this?

5. netscapenow

netscapenow

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Prototype

Prototype

I remember watching Hey Hey It's Saturday as a kid. It was a weird sort of variety show. I would've been about 2 when this aired, and I'm pretty sure we got a Megadrive when I was 3. So it very well could have been this show that inspired the parents to get us a Sega, haha. This was routine viewing every Saturday night back in the day.

As such I don't really know much else about the particular episode or contest, but being an Aussie I might possibly have some more luck than someone outside of the country in finding more info about the above video.

I'll see what I can do. :)

Quick Google Search brought up this interview with Ozisoft's National Sales Marketing manager, Tim Allison.

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/arti...national_sales_marketing_manager_tim_allison/

The whole interview is worth a read for basic history on Sega distribution in Australia, but the Sega National Championship on "Hey Hey" is specifically brought up.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Looks like @doc eggfan has some more Sega Retro stuff to do. :v

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    10 points to anyone who writes a big list somewhere of interviews to be mirrored on Sonic/Sega Retro.

12 points if you make the pages yourselves.

9. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Sonic the Fighters Honey has been captured for the first time on authentic hardware! Guess the hardware wasn't powerful enough to render her pigtails every frame, like ElSemi's emulator does! Interesting to know!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    THE DREAM HAS COME TRUE!

*insert "It's Happening" .gif here*

11. Vangar

Vangar

Unfortunately it seems that Hey Hey It's Saturday hasn't been archived well at all. Because it was on every Saturday from like the 70's to the late 90's, there's hundreds of episodes, and it appears any episode before 1997 doesn't even really have a listing anywhere.

Unless someone happens to have a vhs recording of that specific episode, I doubt we'll see it.

PS: I remember watching this show when I was a kid, usually there wasn't anything like this on there. It had random segments like 'pluckaduck' with some guy dressed up in a duck costume to win prizes.

12. Phantom_JGS

Phantom_JGS

[​IMG]

Sonic Generations got one, too, among many other BC-compatible games. I imagine the cost for doing this is negligible so it's worth it for publishers as some people might not be aware that a game is BC.

13. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I wish they released a PS4 version too...

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

Well this is unexpected. A Sonic 4 remix.

I thought they wanted to forget that game existed.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    What a nice surprise. I used to love episode 4 as a kid... while I don't play the game anymore nowadays (I mean why would I lol, it's fucking Sonic 4), this remix definitely tickles my nostalgia bone.

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    What's wild is Tee's original take on Act 1 way back when is so similar.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Proves yet again that the issue with Sonic 4's music was almost entirely the instrument set used...

18. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Guys, I was just thinking about '06 and I had an epiphany. I realized something so stupid, so illogical, and so insane it just might have a slim possibility of being true.

I think Mephiles, at one point in development, might've been Metal Sonic. Think about it.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'd prefer not to. Care to elaborate?

20. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think that this was never the case and you're talking nonsense. Think about it.