don't click here

Sonic 3 Complete

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tiddles, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Despatche

Despatche

Genuinely shocked this wasn't bumped at all. I'm not here to beg for the proto update, I swear! I just wanted to say that if a proto update ever does happen, I'd like for the developers to keep ValleyBell's original ports of the PC version music in if possible. The PC versions can be quite different and it's just wrong to throw out perfectly good work like that. I also seem to remember ValleyBell saying there were some elements of their ports they preferred over what appears in the proto.

I'm aware that this project is intended to be finished. If anyone interested in their own S3C-type project, I hope you come across this post. Thank you.

edit: Would just like to state that I'm not making a comment on the quality of either version of the songs.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  2. Tanks

Tanks

I wholeheartedly disagree. The prototype carnival night zone is pure fire. None of us, not even valleybell, could have known that that shit would be so poppin. That said, launch base's proto music is clearly unfinished, so I do understand your sentiment.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I think Carnival Night, Launch Base, the credits and the competition menu are better in the original personally; no offense whatsoever to ValleyBell's attempts of course. Their takes on Ice Cap and the unused track are far better though.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Now THAT is a hot take! :eyebrow:

5. PhotonSeek

PhotonSeek

Yeah, I agree. Same goes with ValleyBell's take on Knuckles' theme, where the prototype version feels a bit weird.

6. Glisp

Glisp

That one weird guy that does stuff. Member
    Bloomington, IN
    None at the moment I'm afraid.
    Hah! Guess I'm not the only person that came here for that reason. Personally, I like the rougher feel of the originals more than ValleyBell's. Even the unfinished sounding tracks just sound energetic. Of course, it could be that I just like the way the originals sound more as well.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    One admittedly slightly weird feature request I'd have if this gets picked up again would be to restore Knuckles' laughing animation after he pushes the boulder in Lava Reef; it and MHZ2's Knuckles encounters are the only ones without it, presumably only because the animation in question was not included in S&K on its own. It looks a bit sterile just having him stand there afterward.

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Having this hack updated was the first thing I thought when I watched the livestream lol.

It's the closest thing to the unreleased S3 Limited Edition.

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    We can talk about what we want to see in it as much as we want, but that won't make it come back.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Yeah, at this point, we're better off hoping AIR incorporates all of this game's fixes and features (I'm sure Eukaryot will get at least the fixes with time).

11. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I just wish you lot would respect someone's decision to move on to other things, rather than keep wishing Dad would just come back and give you a shiny new toy, even if he has absolutely no motivation to actually make it.

Who knows, he might decide to come back to S3C some day, but guess what -- it probably wasn't from the incessant begging.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea leave Tiddles alone guys, he's moved on and so should all of us really. Sonic 3 Complete was great but it's basically over now.

But hey Sonic 3 AIR exists and it has mod support. Go play that.

13. Tanks

Tanks

Hey don't lump me in as a beggar here. Just needed to white knight for that CNZ Proto music. Nobody is allowed to slander those tracks. :colbert:

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I honestly thought this was still a WIP, my bad.

Anyway, this hack is just the reference for the best Sonic 3 experince, so it's natural for people to remember of it from time to time.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    My sincerest apologies. While I know Tiddles had moved on I recalled that there were other folks who gained custody of the project. I guess I was mistaken.

Nonetheless, still a wonderful project and deeply impressive to consider the level of content and effort put into it.

16. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

While I think someone hacking the proto music into S3 Complete would be great, it's not too big a deal since the existing versions are still serviceable, and in some cases superior, and as is it's still the best way to play the game on hardware or emulators.

I still need to get around to checking out A.I.R. That makes me wish Sega would release the Whitehead remakes of 1 and 2 on PC...

17. Fred had done a lot of work and experimentation for Sonic 3 Complete beyond the final public release. Eventually it was decided that the code and assets of S3C would pass into his control, but not control of the project itself under that name. In other words, he is not "authorised" to release a new version of Sonic 3 Complete, but is free to do whatever he wants under new hack names (for which he has chosen Sonic 3 Unlocked). This freed him from the obligations of Tiddles' vision for S3C, so that it's no longer necessary to maintain S3C's litany of customisation options or avoid creating entirely new content.

For what it's worth, Eukaryot is already working on adding the proto music to Sonic 3 AIR, so I can live without it in S3C.

18. Fadaway

Fadaway

Not that it matters in a thread about a defunct project (albeit a great one I play often) but I’m more interested in sprite updates if nothing else.

19. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Gonna say again that I really wish Tiddles would open the project source to the public so that people could make their own customizations rather than be limited to the options provided. I mean it's not like he owes it to us, but it'd be cool for the public to have.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    It's not up to Tiddles, it's up to everyone who worked on the hack.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List