don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. VelocitOni

VelocitOni

Almost 10 years of trial membership Member
    No, no thanks. The eye separation and shape is actually incredibly cute and what I've wanted from this character for ages, personally. I'm fine with a rendition of Sonic that doesn't follow the games 100%, as long as it actually looks good.

2. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I think he still looks too much like Tails. I'd make his "eyebrows" protrude more and put more white fur in between his eyes above his muzzle to highlight the monoeye more.

3. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Put me in the same camp as...everyone else, really. The design is indeed not horrifying. I feel a lot less averse to calling this thing Sonic, and I applaud Tyson and the art team for getting this thing into a less embarrassing state in such a short amount of time.

At the same time...yeah, it still doesn't really seem good. I don't like the design's proportions, I still don't buy Carrey as Eggman or Schwartz as Sonic, the plot still has nothing to do with the games, and it's still a god damned live action version of a Japanese cartoon. It's still fundamentally flawed and the trailer writing isn't convincing me any more that it's an exceptional example of any of the things it does try to be.

As with before, all it leaves me wondering is if they cared this much about fans' feelings on the film, why did it end up as a live-action Jim Carrey Sonic-and-a-cop-in-the-real-world movie in the first place?

4. Amnimator

Amnimator

Looks better. I'm less bitter about it if I look at this as "Hollywood Sonic" rather than "actual Sonic". It seems like it's still going for the "age 7 and no older than 7" audience in the sense that "it's for kids, so make it generic". I'm obviously not the target audience.

As much as I appreciate Tyson Hesse's involvement, the movie itself doesn't look of interest, like I've seen it before. Could be okay. I don't think this is going to be the "Sonic Boom Mk 2" sentiment this thread opened up with, so that's better.

5. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Still not sure what the beef with Jim Carrey is. He's as close to Sonic OVA's Eggman as can be and it shows, although the latte joke does fly over everyone's head ever since they got rid of the Mean Bean Machine reference - and just becomes a strange, generic madman villain quote.

6. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    What Mean Bean Machine joke?

7. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    I'm also in the "Jim Carrey is a good casting" camp. I suspect that he was chosen with the possibility of playing the "transformed" Robotnik as seen briefly at the end of the first trailer. It's weird to say it but he's got that... prance? And those skinny legs? If they get a sequel (they obviously wanted one from the start) I think Carrey's casting will make a LOT of sense.

8. Flare

Flare

Yeah they are going for that "origin" story of these two relationship. You know the end of this film is Robotnik going to Sonic's world... leading into Sonic 1.

Also this is basically 90's American Sonic: The film. It almost feels like an adaptation of the comics around the early days of Sonic. The origin of "Robotnik" not "Eggman". Which is fine if that's what you go in expecting. If Japan made a film I'd imagine it would be like Sonic X which basically followed the cannon of the game series.

Actual connections to the games will likely be what Tyson brought in. Which makes me hope to see a version prior to his involvement just to see how much he added.

9. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    This one.

10. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    The fact they brought Tyson in gives me a lot of hope. A LOT of hope. I also smiled a lot during this new trailer. Not just the design. The delivery from the new animation also just felt right. Sonic playing ball by himself, the trip to the giant rubber-band ball, the darts missing every shot. It felt very Sonic. But that was something we hadn't seen before.

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

Tyson, if you're reading this then like this post if we're going to see Sonic's feet.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    Are we sure we don't want connecting eyes? Sounds like Yuji Naka wants connecting eyes.

13. gamerz31w

gamerz31w

Banned
    Jim Carrey as slim and thin Doctor Ivo"Eggman"Robotnik reminds me of Dr. Eggman from Sonic '06 in the previous trailer speaking of being bald without any hair on his head with his noctovisors and long moustache.

14. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Do y'all REALLY want to see a cyclopian dual-pupiled abomination semi-realistically rendered that badly? The white parts of his eyes shouldn't ever have been rendered as eye parts at any point tbh, he should have little black beady pupil eyes and the white parts are just coloured fur markings on his face, kinda like a real hedgehog. But of course the train of setting that (or anything) as THE standard left the station back in 1990, so no use complaining about it now.

but im going to anyway lol

15. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Thanks for the link - however, what I'm after if at all possible is a1080p MP4 or WEBM rip of the original upload from Paramount's channel, rather than a recompressed reupload - I'd like the best possible quality as I was hoping to use it to take some still frames for comparisons. Still kicking myself for not being able to grab it myself yesterday - did anyone else rip it while it was still publicly available?

16. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Not anymore you're not

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Like Like x 6
    • List
  17. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Bullet dodged.

18. gamerz31w

gamerz31w

Banned
  19. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Well, I mean, none of those characters have been confirmed for the film. Or even rumoured. And those images are literally hosted on knowyourmeme. So, no, they won't look like that.