don't click here

Dust Hill and Mystic Cave Discussion 2019

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Taylor, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Guys, the Rexons are dinosaurs. Not so "giant", but...

2. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Well there's a dinosaur in one of Hirokazu Yasuhara's slides... not sure were they picked the idea of the sweets... but it's written there... I swear for my life... I was not even refering to the tunnels... also...I'm invulnerable to sarcasm...

3. 19XX

19XX

Sorry, not being sarcastic, just silly.
    Press just knew more back then about Sonic 2 concepts than us today. We need to look for that now.

4. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    No need to sorry for that ... you did nothing wrong... you were the only one who paid attention to this...

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'm assuming that French magazine got that information from Sega, possibly in (or translated from) Japanese. Perhaps the sweets thing was simply a mistranslation?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  6. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Probably... that's what I want to know... it's weird... but it's there ...

7. Taylor

Taylor

@Asagoth This is a long shot, but could you post the original french text of "swallowing some sweets"? Perhaps we could try to narrow down what it's actually meant to say by seeing if there's any similar Japanese words?

8. 19XX

19XX

Maybe the other dinosaur badniks, that red one and the Stego, also were originally created for that early HTZ concept.

9. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    ...et le fait de pouvoir voyager dans le temps en avalant des pastilles de warp-zone...

google translator... or what you prefer

10. They would make sense there, wouldn't they? Plus, even if per-level badnik exclusivity was already decided on, they could still use Stego.

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It's pretty clearly mentioning the act of eating a warp-zone pill to time travel.
    Either it's a mistranslation or Sonic 2 was going to be FUCKING wild.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Here's the article's pages where they talk about Sonic 2 for Joypad Magazine.

I'm reading the text, and it looks like they were joking. Because later on, the writer says they do not know exactly how time travel will occur.

13. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I could be off-base, but according to Google Translate, pastille/pill in Japanese is 丸薬 or 錠剤, both of which can also be translated as "tablet".

Perhaps the original Japanese text actually said that Sonic uses a time-warp tablet (of the ancient kind)? If so, he probably picked it up at the Hidden Shrine mentioned in the time travel concept documents.

14. T.Q.

T.Q.

After reading the French article, I wondered if it was a copy/paraphrasing/embellishment effort by someone in the French media, because it seemed familiar with something I was transcribing. And then it hit me:

ELECTRONIC GAMING MONTHLY from August 1992 (Volume 5, Issue 8, Number 37)

Page 82 (MORE LEVELS, MORE ENEMIES, MORE FUN!)

Similar headings, paragraphs, texts. Some additions made by the writer in order not to look like plagiarism from reading an older magazine and passing it off as its own in the French publication in September 1992.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Yep it seems to be that article... in EGM they say "Sonic's ability to travel through time when he reaches warp-sonic speed" (like in Sonic CD)... so why the hell they mentioned sweets/pills in Joypad magazine ? ... neverthless what Pengi said makes a lot of sence ...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. T.Q.

T.Q.

Probably the French writer's poor attempt at humor. Like taking powerful drugs that makes the person hallucinate with their mind spinning, warping through a tunnel, maybe going back through time, and....you probably get the picture. The '90s.

17. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Yep ... tripping on acid :) ... oh wait... did he confused the word "speed" (velocity) with "speed" (the drug) ? :) ... because that's what it looks... :)

18. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Yeah, Joypad's writers had a weird sense of humour back then, don't pay too much attention to this "pastille" affair.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  19. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Yep ... busted ... but that's why we're here for ... to prove or to demystify all this stuff... but what Pengi said is plausible...

20. 19XX

19XX

So, we can make a hack where sonic has to snort some time-travel powder, and then he'll see dinosaurs and tunnels. What a game!

I switched sides to the Dust-Hill-is-Mystic-Cave Camp. But I remember reading it was named Deep Cave Zone at some point, just don't remember where I saw it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.