don't click here

Dust Hill and Mystic Cave Discussion 2019

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Taylor, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just like how Mushroom Valley was changed to Mushroom HILL Zone.

2. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    To the people debating the suitability of the name "Dust Hill" for the desert zone and MCZ, I would like to bring something up. The one instance we have of the devs using "Dust Hill" for the desert zone is the interview with Brenda Ross. Note her wording in this part:
    She seems to use the term interchangeably for the desert and winter zones, which makes sense. She was told to produce art that would be used for both a desert area and a winter area via palette changes. She was only in charge of drawing the art, not designing the levels, so she probably viewed both zones as the same assignment. As such, she would only have needed one name for it. There was also the language barrier, which likely meant they didn't go too much into detail about their plans with her.

What I'm trying to get at is that there's the possibility Dust Hill was going to be the name of the winter zone, and the desert zone would have been called Sand Shower instead. I would say it fits the best, as the Dust part could be referring to snow dust or diamond dust. It also solves problem of the winter zone being seemingly absent from the time zone maps - it's not absent, it's just the place labeled as "Dust Hill Zone" in the ruined present.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    It's been suggested before that dust in "Dust Hill" referred to snow a la Diamond Dust Zone.

4. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    Yeah, but I felt like bringing it up since nobody had done so in this thread, not even when people made the argument that "there's already a fitting name for the desert zone in 'Sand Shower', so DHZ can only apply be the cave zone" (paraphrased).

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    All the evidence we have points to Dust Hill being Mystic Cave. Seriously, find me documents that show the winter level ever having a name, let alone Dust Hill, and I could maybe believe that. Until then, there's no reason to think Dust Hill was anything other than Mystic Cave with a stupid name, from a dev team with a penchant for stupid names.

6. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    Yeah, no reason. Other than the word of the artist who drew the desert/winter zones art, you mean.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    From 10 years later. After the Sonic community had started using Dust Hill to refer to the desert level. How well do you remember things you did 10 years ago?

I'm tired of this shit. Believe whatever you want.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    That would imply that she kept up with the community and was aware fans called it that. The fact she wasn't even familiar with the famous "DHZ" pic says otherwise:
    Also note that the interviewer never brought up the name "Dust Hill" until she did.

I don't "believe" anything in particular. I just don't think we have enough information to reach a conclusion.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here's her last say on the topic:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  10. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    The full quote was:
    She called it the Desert Zone or Desert Level, but she believed it was officially called Dust Hill.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Are you serious now? We should go with the facts, not with the beliefs.

12. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    So we're just going to disregard her account?

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No, she clearly said in the end:

14. Vangar

Vangar

Yes, people's memory from 28 years ago can get very fuzzy.

15. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    Yeah, that's what she called it. She never said it was its intended name; she claimed Dust Hill was.

That interview didn't take place this year you know. And why would we even interview the devs if we're going to disregard their account? I'm not saying her word is gospel, I'm saying it's the only official word we have on the name "Dust Hill", and she deserves the benefit of doubt.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No need to, she was very clear here:
    That's the fact there, among the beliefs.

17. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    So where did she get the idea that it was called Dust Hill from? Do you think she made it up?

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    She was bombarded with emails asking about Dust Hill, which prompted my interview with her to be cancelled.

That is also a fact.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Ultrared

Ultrared

Sonic 2 Director's Cut
    Was this before the Feb 2001 interview?

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This is before anybody knew that Brenda Ross had been in charge of the desert level.

The context is explained here.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.