don't click here

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Olympics announced

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Mar 30, 2019.

1. dredd

dredd

Banned
    If they have guest characters they better add Shotaro Kaneda.

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    We gotta put years on the wiki now. :V

3. DryingPan

DryingPan

"Hey I know, I'll use my trusty Frying Pan..." Member
    UK
    I look at the Dream Events and it just makes wish they scrapped the Olympic part and had a game full of Dream Events. Sure it would essentially be Mario Party but with Sonic characters added but the Dream Events are always the best part of these games and it almost feels like a waste to have them as a side feature in the Olympic games.

4. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Ever since seeing the dream events I've just wanted a Mario & Sonic Party too. But my guess is that the Olympics aspect helps sell the game to a bigger normie crowd.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So heads up, a demo of this is available on the Japanese E-Shop. I don't have enough space on my switch to download the demo but yea it's there anyway.

6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    God, is there no quicker way to get the demo? *rant*

edit:
    The disciplines (Badminton, 110m Hurdles, Karate, Surfing and Archery) are short and take little bit of practice. I hope Free Mode gets added. Gotta cool down between matches. You can't quick restart during an Event!

Play it with a friend, the CPUs can be pretty tough.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Of note, re:marketing, I wouldn't be surprised if marketing goes super hard once the actual Olympics are coming up, especially in Japan because, well.... :V

8. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Game comes out today, and so have the reviews.

Opencritic: 68 ("Fair"), based on 43 reviews. 49% of reviewers recommend.
    Metacritic: 68 ("Mixed and/or average"), based on 41 reviews.

Based on the recurring complements and complaints, the broader consensus seems to be the following:
    - The core content of the game, the minigames, hasn't had much devolopment from a gameplay standpoint, so they're still lacking in depth and/or difficulty; but there's a decent amount and variety of them to partake in. Depending on the reviewer and their preference, this is pretty much the make-or-break element of the game; especially if you have any friends/family members to play with you. This is important because...
    - ...the replay value for solo players begins and ends with the story mode (which is single-player only). Widespread agreement says it's underdeveloped and only lasts for roughly four hours.
    - The motion controls for some of the minigames is also pretty faulty (although this is somewhat alleviated by alternate control options).
    - The Retro Events are a nice addition, but don't really add to or change much of the overall package.

Overall, in spite of the new additions/changes to the table, it's very much "more of the same" of the previous games.

So much for sitting Pyeongchang 2018 out if the series' return after a four-year absence is reviewing in the same singularity of the rest of the M&S series (and by extension most of the current crop of Sonic games). I still don't believe this game is going to be enough to bring audiences back to the franchise.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wish they could like merge the Dream Events with Mario Party or something and make a game out of that. Get rid of the Olympics aspect and just have Mario & Sonic party. It'd be perfect.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'm currently on a family vacation, and just played through the story mode on an international flight. I enjoyed it for the most part. Story was dumb/cute and kinda fanservicey. Nice that they gave Eggman Nega a legit role. Also enjoyed the weird minigames in between the events (chasing Eggman, plane shooter, Streets of Rage but with Tails and Shy Guys, etc.). Nothing amazing, as usual, but I had fun.

11. MH MD

MH MD

12. Vangar

Vangar

For someone who hasn't played any games in this series before, is it worth playing this one to start with? Considering getting it to play with my partner

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Well, depending on how the game sells, The Onion doesn’t have much chance of being wrong.

And speaking of which, the sales numbers of Tokyo 2020’s debut in Famitsu’s software sales charts is in...

https://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-software-sales-10-28-19-11-3-19-top-30/

I know, I know, this should be expected, it’s a Sonic game in Japan (in fact, it’s likely a better opening than most Sonic games since the Adventure/Advance days). But one might think having your game co-star Mario and his friends, as well as it being about your home country hosting the next Olympic Games, would had turned more heads.

Edit: Can’t confirm for myself as of this writing; but based on commentary I’ve read, this is the worst M&S debut in Japan after Sochi 2014 (y’know, the one that was released only for the Wii U...).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well they meant that it'd the last video game to ever be made period, regardless of series or platforms :V

16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, you guys should read the article, it's hilarious. The fact that they chose such a random game only makes it better.

17. MH MD

MH MD

18. MH MD

MH MD

This game actually seems to have legs in japan, after initial week where it sold like 19k , it now reached 100k in sales, where it sells like 20k each week

1. [NSW] Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games (Sega, 11/01/19) – 26,677 (103,857)
    source

19. Vangar

Vangar

I'd still like to hear from people here if the game is fun or not, did anyone here actually buy it?

20. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I got it and was playing it day one. Got through the story in about 6 hours on a long flight. It's a well made, pretty polished game, and I enjoyed the character interactions during the cheesy, dumb-fun story, but past that's it's just Rio '16 with slightly better controls and a couple more events. I've gone back to it to play single events a few times, and it's been fun, but if you've had your fill of the series already, it probably isn't worth your time. I enjoy seeing these characters together and being able to, say, play Rugby with a team of all hedgehogs, or Football/Soccer with Team Sonic + Amy/Eggman, so I might get a little more mileage out of this stuff than others. The 1964 events are cute, but simpler than the 2020 ones to play because they're going for a control scheme that would work on the NES. Dream Events are pretty mediocre. Dream Racing is fun, Dream Karate is chaotic and button mashy, and the third Dream Event must not have been all that great, because I don't even remember what it is right now.

It's not worth $60, especially if you're just playing alone (like me), but if you enjoyed the past games, I'd consider checking it out after the price drops, or even going in on it with roommates or something to have another multiplayer game around.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List