don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Level Zone Act

Level Zone Act

Not sure if there's a better place to put this. A while ago, Ed Lomas of late-'90s Computer & Video Games, Official Sega Saturn Magazine, and Official UK Dreamcast Magazine made some posts on Reddit about his time working as ODM's Reviews Editor:

https://www.reddit.com/user/ODM_Ed/

Is any of the information in those posts useful to incorporate into the wiki? This post is particularly informative about the magazine's history (from its start as a lifestyle/lads mag, to becoming more gaming-focused like SSM had been) and relationship with Sega. The paragraph towards the end, and his comments in this post, do contradict the ODM wiki article's assertion that "ODM was unable to criticise games fully".

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    All Sega-related things should be incorporated into Sega Retro.

So yes, very much so

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    In the latest episode of "tasks that will never be done":

Category:Games with known prototypes
    (this category will get bigger over time)

Prototypes.

Yes Hidden Palace and TCRF do this subject better - maybe they always will, but I think it's a good idea to at least acknowledge things exist. Even if the page just ends up being "GO LOOK ELSEWHERE" in the short and medium terms.

But I want to replicate our Sonic CD coverage on on Sega Retro. Even if it's just to cover that Aladdin prototype that's being marketed as something it isn't. That and there's oddballs like Shinobi III that were re-written from scratch. It's not right to call Shinobi III an "unreleased game" because Sega released a replacement game, but equally it is its own important thing that could do with a page of some sort. Prototype pages is likely the cleanest way to do it.

Dunno, always good to have lofty goals. It's not like anyone's going to cover the 34 prototype builds of Golf Magazine: 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples any time soon.

4. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Sorry for the late reply ... yes both ... I guess ... I'm not your best "Techie"... in fact I'm no "techie" at all ...

5. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Sega 32X Development Target by SI Electronics Ltd. (source) :

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edit: not to be confused with the "Sega Mars Development Aid System" (also known as 32X Target in tech docs)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it can be seen on this episode of the Bad Influence! series

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Holy hell that's rad. Speaking of rare Sega hardware, I finally got my Sega Versus City Billboard Unit up and running:

7. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Beautiful!!! ... it must have been difficult with all that dust and smoke... good job :) ...

8. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Thank you, it was very gross when I got it, lol. I used this cleaner called "Krud Kutter" and gave each board a general rinse. Finer details and nooks and crannies were cleaned with a cotton swab (q-tip) and rubbing alcohol. Every electrolytic capacitor was replaced with modern equivalents. The 8-dip switch was also replaced because they were either grimed/rusted stuck in position. A step-down transformer was used to convert the USA outlet voltage of 120v to the Japanese voltage of 100v. The transformer probably wasn't necessary but I wanted to add it as a precaution.

The schematics in the Versus City Manual came in very handy.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Wow ...it was in really bad shape... never thought it was so bad... you saved her from a "certain death" ... it's a lovely piece of Sega hardware :) ...

10. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Now... what is "SEGA rd-4"? :psyduck:

11. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    I have no idea ... R&D #4 ... maybe? ... but I doubt...

12. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Just another name for AM4, they were the team responsible for building hardware such as cabinets.

(To make matters confusing AM11 were called also R&D 4 for a short period in 1999 before becoming Amusement Vision, but this stuff obviously predates that, and is clearly in AM4's wheelhouse.)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Ah, I should have known that. Also, they are credited with "Blast City" and "New Versus City" cabinets, but why not regular "Versus City" cabinets? I'm fairly sure that's where my billboard originated...

In other Sega news, Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom has been dumped and there is some INSANE copy protection which I feel is very deserving of being documented on Retro.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure how much time I'd want so spend on "products that look a bit like Sega consoles".

I mean it could be in scope. I genuinely don't know anymore.

15. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    "CYBER Gadget's latest mind-blowing creation for the serious gamer!" :V

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nothing makes me happier than winding up collectors. Except most things.

[​IMG]

Today on "versions of games you probably don't have", a re-release of Sega Rally sold in Croatia, Slovenia and what was then Yugoslavia (Serbia and Montenegro). Undocumented!

Mind you this is the 27th confirmed physical release of Sega Rally for the PC so collectors have been stuffed for a while. Oh and don't worry:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There are Sonic games you won't own either.

17. While products that look like Sega products are interesting curiosities, I'd argue that they are outside of the scope of the wiki. Maybe they'd fit under a Trivia section of the relevant hardware, but even that's pushing it. They're still neat to see, though! If I had need of an HDMI switcher then I'd love to have that thing in my living room.

18. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    In exploring the Sonic the Fighters patent, which turns out to be a way to represent the "shock" of being hit, I found this Fujitsu patent referenced by the StF patent. And GEE, guess what it is... "THREE-DIMENSIONAL MODEL OPERATION DEVICE". So I bet dollars to doughnuts this is the patent for the Fujitsu TGP MB86234! Crazy!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Picked up a Japanese Saturn today. Sans AC adaptor.

What would be the best route to take to get it up and running? I'm in the UK so I'm going to need a stepdown converter of some kind? I have a PAL console lying around but I assume that using the cable from that would be a non-starter...

(Its the first time I've bought a foreign console so a bit lost here!)

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Your video cable will probably be fine (go for RGB SCART) but yes, your issue will be power. You'll need a stepdown converter or a UK mains plug that outputs the same volt & amps as the Saturn is expecting to get. The stepdown converter will be easier and less likely to kill your Saturn =P