don't click here

Sega Retro is back online (mostly)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This is a thing.

Also a thing is that I've not been paying much attention to Sega-related news over the last month or two, so two questions:

a) What are we missing?

b) What doesn't work anymore? (other than what has been logged already)

Of course, we encourage as many people as possible to sign up, log in and fill in the gaps, but for those with a terrifying aversion to wikis, post things here and someone might sort them out. Is there something really important that we should have been covering for years? Is part of the wiki horribly wrong and stupid?? Do we need more question marks???

Remember, the goal of Sega Retro is to document anything related to Sega, no matter how trivial. We totally want to obsess over the minor details.

2. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    In my opinion... we have to "fight" that "aversion to wikis"... when I discovered Retro I was just looking for some scanned Mega Drive Manuals... it didn't look any special at first sight... I tought "Just another wiki"... but then I realized this was something bigger... I didn't even knew what a "SNASM" or a "PSY-Q" was... and here I am... five years I guess? ... anyway... I learned that we don't need to wait for someone to discover all these cool things... we can do it for ourselves... researching is fun :) ... the best way to learn how to edit the wiki is... to learn with others... to do as others do... of course this is voluntary work... and people have their lives... but someone has to do it...

now look at this:

this stub was made by a guy who is bad in English ... and that don't even have any technical knowledge about this (he don't even know how to use a graphing calculator... and sucks at math too)... it's more an advertising than anything else... but is something...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  3. So hey, ran across a Sega cabinet in the wild while driving, it's Sega Strike Fighter. Comparing the pictures I took to the two images we have it's the regular/non-Deluxe cabinet. I took pictures of both sides, the control panel, a view from behind the seat, and another shot of the control panel wit the full game on the screen. I've been p. out of the loop on how we're documenting arcade cabinets, is there anything special I should do with the photos/label them/whatever to fit a standard style used for the other cabinets when I get the pictures from my phone and upload them to the wiki? Additionally, the cabinet is located about a 1.5 hr drive from my home so if we need additional pictures then I can take them.

I understand that there wasn't much that could be done about it, but the timing of the wiki being down caused me to miss out on documenting something: Someone was selling a Cut the Cheese cabinet for $300 on a local buy/sell/trade website. I held off on purchasing it as I wasn't sure if we had it documented yet or not and the listing is no longer active. I also don't think a coin-shooter game where you try to send coins into a miniature toilet fits my apartment decor so I didn't want to purchase it "just in case" and end up not needing it. I did copy the listing pictures at least.

4. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    Well for photos of cabinets we normaly put them on what we call "photo gallery" ... scans of marquees, manuals, instruction cards, etc we put them on "Physical Scans"... but if you have just raw photos they should be put on the "photo gallery" ... the style of naming the files is usually this ... Name/system/ type... i.e "SuperMonacoGP Xboard cabinet deluxe" (sitdown, upright or standard if its the case... or just cabinet if you're not sure)... before uploading you should put on the summary box these codes {{hardware|X Board}} or {{hardware|Sega Naomi}} (depending on the system... just look for a photo of a cabinet of a certain system that's already preserved on our wiki, copy the code and paste it on the summary box before hiting the upload button) ... this way the photos will be directed to its correct page so we can easily track them on our gigantic wiki...

5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  6. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
  7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
  8. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    Eyo, thanks for the shoutout. Though, I only got Lah's model sheets preserved; the rest of the content still needs doing.

As for stuff that needs to be done, I've written up the page for Sega Ages Columns II in a text file offline, but the problem is that the CAPTCHA doesn't work on Sega Retro, so adding anything with external links (especially references to archived links) is a no-go currently. Of course, I still have to document more of the Jewel Case unlocks as I'm halfway done with those, but yeesh is the "Flash Columns" mode tedium incarnate, even with the Skull Smash setting turned on.

Other stuff I do want to get round to when I have the time is to expand a few more game pages, particularly minigame listings for Tant-R and Ichidant-R, especially considering the latter finally got an international release via the Sega Ages series on Switch. Also, perhaps download all these manuals for the Sega Ages series and convert them to PDFs so they can be preserved.

9. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    There's copies at the wayback machine of Hamidashi's and Yoshihisa Hashimoto blogs... I just don't know if all the content was preserved...

Yep I tried to save an interview there but the Captcha is not helping... this is probably known already but the arcade versions of Tant-R and Ichidant-R reached Portugal and Spain at the time... I've played both in the 90's ... our fellow ICEknight knows this ... he also played them at the time...

A picture of the Arcade in my Town who once had these two cabinets...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  10. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Is it just me or is registration broken? The captcha in the sign up page failed to show in all browsers I tried (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) other than IE.

11. Asagoth

Asagoth

Portugal
    The captcha isn't showing on the wikis too ... it's happening to us all... it's a known issue that will probably be fixed soon...

12. Alright, pictures I took are uploaded and added to the gallery for Sega Strike Fighter's page! I think I saw an NFL Quarterback Club(?) cabinet in the same arcade-area on the drive back a few days later, but I was in a rush to get home before the snow so I didn't stop to take a picture. I did see a Sega logo out of the corner of my eye at the very least. Looking at the pictures I took, I see what looks like a poster or something in the hallway outside with a Sega logo, I don't remember noticing it when I was on-site. I'll have to make a drive out that way some time to check it out, but it's pretty low on my priority list so it might be several months from now if ever.

13. There is a U.S. cabinet of Daytona USA. We could use some info on that

14. Despatche

Despatche

15. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Multicol seems to be working fine on its own. I think the problem is with ProductionHistory.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Too many templates calling other templates. It needs admin magic.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Here is a crazy list:
    Sega Retro:Todo/Sub-pages

It took us a many years to get pages for every Sega-related video game ever made (and we're still not done). The next phase is to expand - to document things in more detail than "this game exists".

The plan is to follow a similar structure to Sonic Retro on Sega Retro. Except without having to dedicate a page to every level or enemy. At least not yet.

To take Sonic 2 as an example:

- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit) - a page for general game information.
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Maps - a sub-page for maps.
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Achievements - a sub-page for achievements, because this game was brought to XBLA and PSN and
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Comparisons - page for comparison. This could include:
    -- localisations
    -- ports (both Sega and non-Sega(!))
    -- different settings
    -- revisions
    -- other, similar content
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Magazine articles - every single piece of magazine coverage (there's a lot to sift through)
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Promotional material - all advertisements and... promotional material (this page doesn't exist for Sonic 2 yet but it will do one day!)
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Merchandise - game-related merchandise
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Development - a history of the game's development, with concept art and documents and official screenshots
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Hidden content - cheat codes, unused stuff, anything you can't "see" during regular play (aka what TCRF does)
    - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)/Bugs - bugs that may or may not have been fixed
    - we also have a Sonic 2 hacking guide but I want to somehow turn that into "Technical info", as this information isn't necessarily related to "hacking". Don't ask how I plan to do that.

and in addition
    - related books
    - related music albums/singles/whatever
    - pre-releases
    -- maps
    -- comparisons
    -- hidden content
    - all other related content

As there are thousands of Sega games, many of which are not understood all that well, this will take years. But that's the direction we're probably going to take for video games, so uh... make pages and add things I guess. Absorb the internet.

And of course, Sega Retro does a lot more than just video games.