don't click here

Mega Drive / Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Gods, I wouldn't. A Master System Mini would be a hell of a lot cheaper to make and put out, and would sell well in Europe and Brazil - you could do a smaller run for the US if you really wanted to. Maybe even throw in some Game Gear games. =P

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh it'd absolutely be cheaper, won't deny that. I just feel like a mini dreamcast with maybe like 20 games would sell better.

Plus don't they still manufacture master systems in brazil?

3. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Last I hear Tec Toy is already making a plug and play Master System

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  5. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I love how these plug n play consoles always have every game but Sonic 3. And then on Mega Drive 2017, the only Sonic game it has is Sonic 3. The situation with that game is messed up.

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, I did a double take when I saw it in the game list. Like, for real?
    It seems to be vanilla Sonic 3 unfortunately. But hey, it's still surprising to see this game rereleased in some form or fashion, especially since I'm pretty sure Sonic 3 IS the problematic game in the S3&K duology.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe the Sonic 3 licensing issues can go under the radar in Brazil?

Gaming in Brazil seems to be a very strange beast and I'm very glad I don't have to deal with the same nonsense they do.

8. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    Is it possible on a Euro Mega Drive Mini to switch the games to the Genesis versions? I' want to know if you can play Castlevania Bloodlines on it rather than New Generation and Vampire Killer.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It should, yes.

All the region ROMs are on it.

10. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    Thanks, but do you know how to do this? I thought if I changed the Mini's language that would do it, but the problem is, setting it to English gives me the PAL box arts and game titles (eg Virtua Fighter 2: Mega Drive and CV New Generation). I don't think there's an American setting I can switch it to, unless I'm missing something.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, where's the manuals for the European version? Or did they just not bother?

EDIT: Had to find them on my own by guessing the URL, since they're not linked from the official site, wtf.

Link: https://manuals.sega.com/megadrivemini/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  12. Sixfortyfive

Sixfortyfive

Try setting it to Korean or Chinese. Shot in the dark, but the Euro ROM list singles those out as distinct versions.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So... is "eu_en_Comix_Zone.bin" just the US version? And is "eu_en_Contra_Hard_Corps.bin" a Probotector ROM modified to run at 60Hz?

I wonder which of the ROMs included in all 4 versions don't match anything known.

*Besides Tetris and Darius. =P

14. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    Thank you for this, setting it to Korean got me CV Bloodlines and Contra: Hard Corps. It would have been better if, for certain games, a regional select option was available before you start the game.

Street Fighter II uses the US rom (has the "Capcom USA Inc" text on the title screen). I've tried playing it with the system language set to German, Spanish etc but it's always the US rom.

Virtua Fighter 2 has the Mega Drive title screen for most languages, but changes to the VF2: Genesis title if the language is set to Japanese, Korean or Chinese.

For some reason Super Fantasy Zone's menu box art is much smaller than any of the other games when the system is set to certain languages.

Attached Files:

• sfz.jpg
      sfz.jpg
      File size:
      189.6 KB
      Views:
  15. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    From what I have seen with the European system I got, Probotector (and by extension, Castlevania: The New Generation and Virtua Fighter 2) has defintiely been modded to run in native 60Hz and runs at the exact same speed as the Japanese version. Sonic Spinball is, strangely, the European ROM too, and while that's running at native 60Hz, the music bafflingly hasn't been adjusted and plays too fast (Japanese version is fine).

The Story of Thor seems to be unoptimised, as the framerate stutters. Thankfully, the US version can be played by setting the system language to Chinese, as there is no unique Chinese version of the game so the system defaults to the US version.

All other games on the European system appear to be the US versions and run at a natural 60Hz. Even Sonic 1 is REV00 (more common in the US), and Mega Man has the "Capcom U.S.A." copyrights (the original EU version didn't copyright Capcom U.S.A.).

That's because Super Fantasy Zone's Japanese box actually was that small. Compare it to the cartridge itself:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  16. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    It's a Sunsoft thing. Although a Sega game, Super Fantasy Zone was made by them.

In Japan, Sunsoft manufactured their own cartridges, which had a slightly different design to the usual JP cart. They were all released in small boxes with thicker spines, they also open "the other way" like Japanese books.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  17. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
  18. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Out with the old, in with the new...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll have to scan the booklet and poster that came with the mini tower parts - it's amazing.

19. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    needs the Game genie to be complete

20. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    This booklet?... can't wait to see it :) ...