don't click here

Mega Drive / Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Apr 8, 2018.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    woot.
    [​IMG]

P.S. Thanks Amazon, for the dent on the Genesis box. A first time for everything I guess. :argh:

2. Sixfortyfive

Sixfortyfive

Anyone done a deep dive into the ROMs on this thing and documented which games have changes from their original retail versions? Or does anyone have a how-to on extracting/decrypting data ourselves? I'd kind of like to dig into the actual content on this product but it seems like everyone else is always more interested in just loading their own stuff onto these machines instead.

Shinobi III's option screen looks like it's missing control options, which is curious. I'm wondering if there's a way to activate 6-button controls without a properly functioning Mode button.

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    We've got side loading.

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

Any time I order something from Amazon and care about the box, Amazon packages it so poorly it gets dented. If it bugs you, you can order an exchange. They'll send a replacement. I would then wait until you get the replacement before sending back the original (just in case the replacement is even worse).

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So... Anybody tried it yet? Does every unit come with that annoying sound lag which "some people won't notice"?

6. Flygon

Flygon

Apparently some units don't seem to suffer the audio buffer lag at all, but others do.

But all the "fixed" units seem to be sold in Japan, so. :psyduck:

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The only proof I've seen of any "fixed systems" is some footage snagged from a live stream, which might have happened to just have a bigger amount of video lag than sound lag.

8. Sixfortyfive

Sixfortyfive

Looking into the Mini ROMs.

Can confirm that M2 is reusing some of their prior patches for their Genesis releases. Phantasy Star IV has some of the same code that was added to the Virtual Console version to fix the lv99 bug and alter some of the graphics.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  9. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I haven't noticed the sound lag, but this is the first time I've ever experienced input lag. It's not exactly a huge amount, but precision platforming in Sonic isn't as fluid as it should be. I think I got my TV just before "Game Mode" became a standard as mine doesn't seem to have any form of a lag correction setting. :(

10. Sixfortyfive

Sixfortyfive

The version of Shinobi III on the Genesis Mini appears to be the same version used in the 2013 3D Classics line. The build date of the ROM (mid 2013) lines up nicely, and screenshots of the in-game Options menu (with missing in-game control config settings) matches.

Top: original Genesis retail release
    Bottom: Genesis Mini (and 3DS?)

[​IMG]

What I'm curious is whether it's still possible to activate 6-button controls on the Genesis Mini. The cartridge version has a button code to activate that mode (which wouldn't be possible here because it requires the use of the Mode button, and the Mode button on the Mini doesn't actually function as a Mode button). The 3DS version, from what I understand, had a toggle on the emulator front-end to enable or disable the 6-button controls (as well as the stage select). I am unsure if there is any similar capability for that to be done here.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, I've read that Megaman The Wily Wars is the actual Sega Channel version with a build date prior to the PAL and Japanese ones.

Garfield The Lost Levels might still be alive somewhere, after all.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Sixfortyfive

Sixfortyfive

I've been playing Wily Wars a bunch, and it turns out that the game might not be as poorly optimized as its online reputation has led me to believe.

Anytime I've played it in an emulator or seen it played by others, it's exhibited a ton of slowdown. The MM1 Yellow Devil fight is one of the most egregious parts of the game. Check the below video (24:20) and notice how much the game starts to chug once the boss fully spawns.

It plays way better on the Mini.

I was wondering if all of that slowdown was emulator specific or if this version of the game is somehow better optimized. I asked dark1x of Digital Foundry about it (he has a Rockman Megaworld cartridge), and he said that the game actually doesn't slow down like that on real hardware in the first place, so the Mini is more accurately representing the game in this case.

So that's a pleasant surprise at least. I guess it's unfortunate that the game has a slightly worse rep than it actually deserves due to the limited and flawed ways that people have been able to play it. The JP cartridge is expensive as fuck, PAL games are basically 50Hz bootlegs in the first place, and WW happens to be one of a handful of games that doesn't play nice with common flash carts, so emulators are basically the only way to go for most people. I wonder what it is about this particular game that makes it run so poorly on the likes of Fusion and other common emus.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    After seeing the gameplay videos, I'm starting to suspect that the slowdown was intentionally added to the PAL and Japan versions, as in certain shoot 'em ups...

14. Gryson

Gryson

I have played Wily Wars on real hardware and the slowdown can be BAD, especially during boss fights.

However, a simple overclock on real hardware will remove the slowdown completely, so I imagine that it would be very easy to correct on the Mini.

15. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I've had this since day 1 launch, but I've been so busy at work I haven't had a chance to open them

[​IMG]

And here is a picture from the modest display at my local store. I wouldn't mind seeing some display shots from around the world

[​IMG]

Any word on whether this has been a successful launch? Can we expect a Master System Mini next year?

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd expect they'd do a Dreamcast mini before a Master System Mini (At least in the US there is absolutely no Master System nostalgia to be found).

Also I doubt this would ever happen but I'd like to see a combined Dreamcast/Saturn mini (basically Dreamcast mini with a few Saturn games thrown on). Idk how much selling power a Saturn mini would have but there are at least a handful of Saturn titles that are worthwhile. Plus we're in need of a good Saturn emulator anyway so get on it Sega :V

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  17. gamerz31w

gamerz31w

Banned
    Will Nintendo never make N64 hardware re-release? What about Sony's Playstation 2?

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean maybe? That's up to them lol. Although I'd imagine Nintendo is more likely to make an N64 mini before Sony makes a PS2 mini (I'd imagine a Dreamcast mini's chances to be somewhere inbetween the two)

19. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Dreamcast Mini would probably be feasible from a hardware standpoint at least, we're seeing decent DC emulation happening on the RPi 4. Doubt it'd be feasible from a financial standpoint, but I'm far from a market analyst.

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I have suspicions of a Mega Drive II mini with a 6 button controller.