don't click here

Mega Drive / Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Seems according to several reviews the audio is....off somewhat, or laggy.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

Huh, so there are some interesting differences depending on which language you set your Genesis Mini too. If you switch it to Japanese you get Puyo Puyo instead of Mean Bean Machine and you get the later revision of Sonic 1 in Japanese and the original release in the US. It seems like most, if not all the other games that had regional differences will still retain these differences simply by changing the language. Pretty cool although I wish you could just change the versions shown/played without changing the entire language.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

Does the original version of Sonic 1 have some bugs? Seems stupid to include it.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea my thoughts exactly. The US version has the spike bug thing and none of the funky background effects. It's not like Sonic 1 had any actual Japanese in it.

5. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks like Darius is getting a product code starting with "T-11", just like Taito's other games released back in the day:
    [​IMG]
    T-11183?

6. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    So I just got an update from Amazon:
    That's... a few extra days that I wasn't expecting. :( Oh well, still excited. And considering a gift card brought it down to $30, it feels like a steal.

7. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Glad I switched my pre-order over to Best Buy for in-store pickup. The Amazon delivery guys around here are terrible and lose our stuff all the time, anyway.

8. So on one hand I'm kind of excited for this as it means I'll have an excuse to play these games again. And yet... I had my Genesis Model II from my childhood for years, along with 50+ games. After I moved to my current apartment in late 2014 the console never left the box I packed it in. Somewhere around the middle of last year I gave it away to a friend so that it can see some use instead of just sitting in a sealed box gathering dust. I feel like if I spend money on this mini-console then I wouldn't play it much beyond the initial "oh hey look at the novelty of this experience" that wears off pretty quickly. I experienced something similar with Nintendo's SNES Classic, even after modding the console and loading several games onto it.

I'm speaking as someone that played the HELL out of the Genesis and SNES for several years after they were officially "dead" as well; I missed out on most of the 32-bit era as I (correctly) thought that well-done 2D artwork trumped early bad 3D. I also (incorrectly) thought that 2D was the future and 3D was just some flash-in-the-pan nonsense that wouldn't amount to anything. I mean I want to be excited for this mini-console but I don't know if I have it in me.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    >tfw SoNick was SEGA with the Saturn

10. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Digital Foundry just put up their review and analysis of the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    13:35 UGH.

12. JustAMotobug

JustAMotobug

Eggman Robot Member
    United States
    ????
    Pretty cool to see Puyo Puyo on an easy to find a device to play on that isn't from across the other side of the globe without having to deal with importing and the sorts. I think I'll pick up the Genesis Mini just to officially support Puyo Puyo and have a Sega Genesis playing on a CRT I own. Unless it doesn't have Composite Cables, and just has HDMI. Then I'll have to buy a converter.

13. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    What is it with that track in Comix Zone that makes it such a pain?

14. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Something to do with frequency overflow when the note played is very high? Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure it also happens with The Machine in Sonic Spinball.

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Upsetting if it's only for Tubers to gloat about it.

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Shaq Fu is notorious for this, if it's the issue I think it is:

What it should sound like(?):

What Kega Fusion says it sounds like:

18. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Yeah, here's another one.

It only ever seems to come up in western (STI?) titles.

19. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So, there *is* an officially-produced Tower of Power for the Genesis Mini... and it's an extremely limited run sent only to a handful of YouTube "influencers." (TGC was not among them, alas.)

I NEED IT. And I wish they'd make at least a FEW more of them. I think a limited-edition item like that would sell to hardcore Sega fans, no problem.

https://twitter.com/SpawnWaveMedia/status/1173631693313531905

EDIT: Ugh, sorry, I'd just woken up and didn't see this was already posted earlier!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I pre-ordered the Japanese one, but I'll be spitting chips if there is a limited run for an official PAL tower that was unavailable to purchase.