don't click here

Yakuza General

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by TimmiT, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    More news about Yakuza 7:
    I've gotta say, this sounds brilliant.

2. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Really really really really really not feeling excited for the change to turn-based.

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I ended up buying the digital copy of the collection to play Yakuza 3. Finished it on Monday, so now I've played all of the numbered games in the series since I started at 4.
    Despite people wanting to start at 0 or 1, after playing 3 I realized that you're not missing much if you start anywhere. In 3 it helps to know who Kazama is, but not having played the previous ones won't detract from the story because all major players are either new or don't have much backstory needed to understand what's going on. (I guess the one exception is Kiryu's relationship with Majima, since that is spread out over the series.) I'll probably pick up a physical copy next year so I have them all on PS4.

Turn based battles in 7 won't bother me, because I used to love turn based JRPG's and still do. But it's kind of shame since I also had grown to like the gameplay style - turn based battles are kind of slow and I liked how quickly you could go in an out of battle by the time Yakuza 6 had refined things so much.

4. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    May as well bump with the fact 3-6 have been announced for PC, along with my hopes that Denuvo will at least not be attached to the remasters, since I avoid Denuvo games like the plague.

5. Xilla

Xilla

It'll be interesting to see the changes they'll have to make to Yakuza 6. The Sony branding on things like Kiryu's phone will definitely be gone and of course theres also the baby calming mini game that makes full use of the PS4 controller features. There's also the RIZAP branding too and Don Quinote's been removed from Like a Dragon.

Speaking of LAD....

On Chapter 14 and still not really "doing it" for me! :V

6. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Bought it, installed it on the PS4, still haven't even booted it, such is my disdain for turn-based mechanics...

7. Xilla

Xilla

Surprised I've stuck with it this long to be honest, I've found the grinding to be an utter chore and the battles are just....boring to me. The story and other content is pretty much what's keeping me going, but I doubt I'll play it again once the credits roll.

Had issues with characters getting stuck in scenery whilst getting into position to attack and enemies punching right through solid walls (think I sent yourself an example of that on the Twits)....

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Congrats.

9. What a good day. Did not expect this today even if I thought it was an eventuality.

Also, very interesting that they’ve switch the series’ title to “Like a Dragon.” I wonder if it’s for all games from now on or if it’s limited to non-Yakuza spin-offs.

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  11. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Finally. So excited to play this and see if it's as good as people say, those who have hold it in pretty high regard compared against the other entries.

12. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    IF it's handled like Yakuza Kiwami 2's version of Virtua Fighter 2, a theoretical launcher with online play could be adapted around the game's files for standalone StF. Time will tell.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because they're not great at getting the message across - this is a remake of the currently Asian-only Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! from 2014. Slightly odd because that was a PS4 game (as well as PS3)... and this will also be released on PS4 (and PS5), so about 9 years separating the two.

It's better reflected in the Japanese title, "Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin! Kiwami", i.e. it's a "Kiwami" version of the game.

Ishin is also the second "Yakuza characters but in the past" game, after 2008's Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan! (which I expected would be remade first, but whatever). That one was set in the 1600s, this is set in the 1800s.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki

That's three, do I hear four?

16. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

We have four!

And it's available RIGHT NOW! I'm losing my mind today.

17. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Man they’re pumping these out, aren’t they?

I’m happy for Yakuza fans but I wish Sonic got half the budget and attention this series’ been getting in recent years :V

19. RikohZX

RikohZX

To be fair, a large amount of that budget at this point is probably engine developments and the cutscenes / cast. The cast for how many actual movie and acting stars they get, which is hilarious when Sega will probably never shell out for Ben Schwarz for even a spinoff Sonic game, and the cutscenes for how much motion capture and cinematography work they get.

To this day they'll reuse vast swaths of assets like Kamurocho, animations, effects, you name it, while typically offering up a new city area or two to travel through. 5 going for four cities plus Kamurocho and the Kenzan/Ishin games having new environments by the nature of their timeframe are kind of the big exceptions. The series really saves on budget to better allocate it elsewhere. It's actually a fanbase meme to see what gets reused between games, like how many times a very specific boss moveset might be reused ala the Dark Souls franchise and affiliated titles.

Though Nagoshi before he left did also express interest in the idea of a Sonic RPG, so who knows, if Sega wants something unique and interesting from one of their top studios it would probably be worth the shot.

20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I am digging through "Yakuza: Like A Dragon" debug symbols and there's something here labeled "m_kiryu_naked_aura" lmao, do I want to know?