don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That's... exactly what I've done?

Fill in anything I might have missed by all means (p.s. that sentence applies to everything ever).

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  3. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    On the topic of odd depictions of Robotnik. Check this out from the Zone Zapper Adventure Gamebook!
    [​IMG]

4. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Weird. The file info page for many of the pics still list their width as 1280px, and claim that they haven't been updated since 31th, even though they were updated with the larger scans as you claim. I'm guessing that's a wiki bug.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It can take a few hours for the wiki software to get around to drawing new thumbnails. It's not ideal, but it probably makes sense if you've got 49832094803294803924 uploads a second (aka you're Wikipedia).

But it's definitely a confusing thing for new editors. I wish I could make things less clunky but a lot of this is out of my hands.

6. JustAMotobug

JustAMotobug

Eggman Robot Member
    United States
    ????
    Curiously enough, Grounder from The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog has some weird detail I picked up from a plethora of episodes where he is seen from behind. This frame happens to come from Lovesick Sonic where I first noticed this upon first viewing of the episode. No other character in this show has this detail consistently used besides possibly Robotnik, so take that as you will.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    why does he have an ass

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I remember seeing his ass when I was younger and wondering why he even had one when he’s a badnik? xD They didn’t need to add that detail but there it is!

9. Powpuck

Powpuck

His exhaust has to come out somewhere

10. JustAMotobug

JustAMotobug

Eggman Robot Member
    United States
    ????
    I suppose there was a different way to design an exhaust pipe, this design being the weirdest I've seen in any robot produced by anyone. I guess the reason for it being that Grounder was canonically made from Scratch's tail feather which was made of random garbage as per this scene in the first episode.

11. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

12. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    The only one I can make out is "Ganbare yo!" ("Go for it!"/"Do your best!"), the others are much too indistinct.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  14. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I think we are officially running out of things to talk about :V

I find it interesting that Grounder actually has what looks like a 'number-plate' (or maybe model number?) above his 'butt'. That would be the other question: What actually is it and why would he need one?

It appears to say "X-IU" or maybe "X-14" - any ideas?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  15. JustAMotobug

JustAMotobug

Eggman Robot Member
    United States
    ????
    Possibly his model number used as some sort of license plate. I suppose it makes sense since he's the only badnik in this show that isn't scrap metal that's not based off of an animal.

16. Powpuck

Powpuck

The creators of the show might've been unaware of it, but the badniks grounder is based on are moles.

No idea what "X-14" could mean, but I'd ask Milton Knight if I cared enough.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Grounder also has real hands.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because I haven't had Sega Retro to keep me sane, this weekend I've been attempting to sort out Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie comics), a series I know nothing about (and hope to keep it that way).

Anyway in so doing I (re)discovered Sonic the Hedgehog ¼, which was apparently released on the same day as Sonic 2 - 24th November 1992. This is nearly a year before the Saturday morning cartoon, which means SatAM was inspired by Archie, not the other way around... contrary to what has being saying otherwise since 2009 (oh dear).

It also means the Archie cast likely pre-date the early Sonic cartoon. So that's a thing.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    It really depends on how much pre-production SatAM had, I guess.

I've been hearing conflicting things since 2000.

20. Pengi

Pengi

The Archie comic was based on the DIC cartoon. In Michael Gallagher's introduction in "Sonic the Hedgehog: The Beginning" (later repackaged as "Sonic the Hedgehog Archives vol. 0"), he mentions getting offered to write the Sonic mini-series on 23 July 1992, and receiving DIC's model sheets shortly after. (As an aside, he specifically mentions that he received model sheets for the non-roboticised versions of Uncle Chuck and Muttski. The non-roboticised Muttski also shows up in Sonic Spinball.)

An early sketch for the splash page layout of the first story has notes like "NEED REVISED DIC MODEL SHEET" (for Cluck) and "NEED DIC REFERENCE" (for Snively, who didn't show up in the printed comic until much later - I guess they had to wait on that reference).

There's a series bible that dates back to February/March 1992. Tails is in it, so that's kinda interesting.