don't click here

UNSEEN(??) SONIC 1 BETA ART

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SMpai, Aug 29, 2019.

1. SMpai

SMpai

FB949832-82E6-43C2-A888-1EEDBEB274F5.jpeg 72CF1B5D-5B7B-4D66-B2AE-763DA32AD991.jpeg Okay so I got a few images from a source I’m choosing not to name out of kindness and respect just Incase BUT. They show some new info for those interested in Sonic 1’s beta! The words “le(t)’s retry” instead of “TRY AGAIN” seem to have appeared at the end of the game if you failed to get the emeralds. “Final zone” also seems to have supposed to have ended with the “outside” background from CWZ/SBZ. Please leave your own theory’s etc ! -sm

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Awesome, thanks for sharing! I wonder whose style is that. Ohshima's, maybe?

3. SMpai

SMpai

I was actually able to verify from Ohshima himself that these are his drawings! the layout of the pages seems very inline with early-mid development documents

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    If the last part of Final Zone was meant to take place outside, those unused "distant explosion" sprites make a lot more sense. Good work.

5. SMpai

SMpai

ohhh! I hadn't even thought of those!

6. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    Welcome to Sonic Retro!

These are very nice discoveries, thank you for sharing!

7. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    I always imagined those would appear at the GHZ part of the ending if the player managed to give eggman the "final hit", considering how there's another, different storyboard within retro wiki, which, which basically shows the same "concept", but in a more complex sequence and including more sprites but said "final hit" always happen regardless. If it got simplified, I get a feeling it was for time constraints, because once you defeat the final boss, what comes next is filled of tiny bugs. So it would be no surprise if the "distant explosion" objects were not made for the same reason.

8. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    A bit like in Sonic 1 8bits' ending when Sonic teleports and land a final hit on Eggman ?

9. Powpuck

Powpuck

Like in 8-bit Sonic 1 where Sonic is teleported above an escaping Eggman, yeah?

Edit: Ninja'd by Adamis. SIGH

10. Pengi

Pengi

These are great! Thanks for sharing them! Is anyone able to translate the text?

The SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works book has an earlier version of the final boss and ending storyboards. The final boss arena has a lot in common with the 8-bit version, with Eggman behind a force field. The exterior/platform shows that the stage is high up in the sky and there are towers and a satellite dish in the background - quite different from any Clock Work Zone/Scrap Brain Zone concept art we've seen. Eggman takes off in a strange plane (no Egg Mobile yet) and after Sonic lands the final hit he keeps falling until he is saved by his parrot/parakeet bandmate, Sharps. Then they land in Green Hill Zone, where the rest of the Sonic Band and the small animals are celebrating, and Sonic does the same jump pose as in the final.

It does all make me wonder how heavily the 8-bit version's Sky Base was based upon abandoned ideas for the 16-bit version. The boss certainly was.

I don't think these are on the wiki anywhere.

There's also concept art of Eggman parachuting, but it's unclear what this was intended for.

11. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    Sure. Please note, I'm not fluent in the language, I have likely fucked up somewhere, just trying to help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Text and translations:

EDIT: Made some translation changes.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  12. Powpuck

Powpuck

Hmm. So there was always(?) supposed to be just the six Emeralds, unless maybe this was later on when they settled on the number.

Also, Sonic does three times damage to the Eggmobile, yet it goes down in just one hit. So Eggman had a three-hit quota instead of the whopping eight?

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm thinking he had 3 instead of 1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Pengi

Pengi

Thanks for translating those! So it seems that there was never any real purpose to landing that final hit on Eggman, just a player satisfaction thing.

15. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    Apologies, when re-reading the translation I realised it was not very clear.

"ボスは3回以上ダメージをあたえる説定とほす" Is literally like "Give the boss damage 3 times or more", thought my translation would suffice, but I didn't stress the "3回"/"3 times" part enough, that's my bad. I believe this is stating that the boss can be damaged 3 or more times, though the outcome of a single hit is not specified. I assume it means you would need to hit the boss 3 times to cause it to enter the damaged state that you get from a single hit in the final.

Also while I'm apologising for poor translations: The final item, "map" should be "figure". For some reason I read 図 (figure) as 地図 (map).

EDIT: Updated my post above to fix some issues.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  16. SMpai

SMpai

Thanks for the welcome!

Thank you so much for translating them! I meant to do it myself but never got the time ><

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2019
  17. Apslup

Apslup

Feelin' Fine. Member
    Awesome! I quite like the idea of the last part of Final Zone being outside, I guess since it gives it a better connection with the rest of South Island (since Sonic 1's zones are pretty disjointed for the most part). Also, where did you come across this art?

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    An interesting find indeed! This actually makes sense of one of the layout choices in Final Zone; the foreground wall between the boss area and the Eggmobile area presumably exists because they thought they'd need to hide the background layer long enough to switch it back to the 'outside' background used in Act 1. A shame the switch wasn't implemented in the final game as it would have made the end a little more cinematic - would be interesting to see a hack implementing it some day. Ditto for Eggman's flight path differing significantly depending on whether or not the player managed to hit him during his attempted eacape.

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Funny they actually mention keeping the player from being able to jump off the ledge, because they didn't implement that. I remember the very first time I ever beat Sonic 1, I accidentally jumped off the edge of Final Zone and had to redo the boss, haha.

20. FireRat

FireRat

Nah. Fuck it. Banned
    Chile
    Mobius Evolution 2
    they keep you from jumping off the ledge only when eggman escapes. Most likely a similar issue as the signposts