don't click here

General Questions and Information Thread

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think I need names for things:

[​IMG]

Japan sometimes seems to want to call 1 a "pop" and 2 an "obi" but those are stupid names that don't really describe what these things are. I don't know what terms Sega use.

My intention was to go through every arcade page and make a note of what's missing, and that's quite difficult if we've got INSTRUCTIONS, INSTRUCTIONS, INSTRUCTIONS.

The only thing the world seems to agree on is that the card-sized instructions are called "instruction cards".

3. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    If they always go in the same place you could call them "title card", "bezel card" and "panel card" or something similar. The title card isn't the same thing as a marquee, I assume? Marquees are usually longer.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    For 3, they're sometimes placed below the monitor, sometimes above, sometimes above and below. I'm not really sure what the plan was there - more often than not they seem to be crudely stuck to the screen, which I'm guessing is why in that above image it's in a worse state than the rest.

I did think about calling 1 a "marquee" but when the West thinks of an arcade marquee, they're talking about a section of the cabinet itself that just shows the game title. In Japan it's often used for instructions - in the above case I think the panel that says "ASTRO CITY" is the actual marquee.

5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    This ebay listing refers to 1 as a "top Marquee"

[​IMG]

It might also be referenced in the cabinet manuals?

EDIT: Based on this auction, I would refer to them as the following

1. Marquee
    2. Game Instruction strip
    3. Character Moves strip

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Ladies and gentlemen, you have until... sometime tomorrow maybe to prove that the following Mega Drive/Master System games were brought to Mega-Tech arcade hardware:

- After Burner II (MD)
    - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle (MD)
    - Black Belt (SMS)
    - Enduro Racer (SMS)
    - Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa (SMS)
    - Power Strike II (SMS)
    - Spellcaster (SMS)

Some are mentioned in flyers as "coming soon", but that doesn't mean they were ever released.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    RE: Arcade instructions

Puyo Puyo Tsuu

I went with "instructionstop" and "instructionslong" (2, 3, 4). I'm sure the template could be formatted better.

So yeah, more things for you guys to scan.

8. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Hey Retro, it's storytime! And by storytime, I mean the 1970 Sega Company Profile, an investor relations piece full of fluff and the occasional useful detail. Let's go!

[​IMG]

Check out the full booklet at https://segaretro.org/File:Sega_Company_Profile_1970.pdf.

President and Representative Director D. Rosen

In recent years, the rapid growth of Japan's economy has been remarkable and leisure consumption has been increasing year by year. SEGA ENTERPRISES is a pioneer in the leisure industry with a focus on end-use amusement machines. Although we have increased awareness of leisure for many people, we have tried to spread it. Since then, in more than 10 years, the business of trading companies has evolved as a comprehensive company of leisure sitting business that is unparalleled in Japan and the world.

Currently, SEGA imports, sells and leases a large number of game machines as an agent of the world's leading game machine manufacturers, and also exports its own slot machines widely overseas, helping to earn foreign currency.

This major development is due to the consistent pioneering spirit of the lottery, which always pursues leisurely pursuits based on modern management policies. In order to contribute to the development of healthy entertainment, we are constantly making progress in our own fields.

History of Sega

April 1951
    Established Service Games Co., Ltd.

May 1960
    Separation of Japanese entertainment products in the sales department and Nihon Kikai Seizou in the production department

January 1964
    Merger of both companies Unification of the company name with Nihon Goraku Bussan

July 1965
    Merged with Nihon Goraku Bussan and Rosen Enterprises Co., Ltd. (Rosen Enterprises was established in 1952. This merger was the existence of a thousand specialties handling automatic game machines and sports machinery) Changed company name to SEGA ENTERPRISES
    (Capital: 10.353 million yen)

March 1966
    Increased capital to 11.853 million yen.

September 1966
    Increased capital to 15.03 million yen.

Overview of SEGA
    Creation: April 1951

Capital: 153 million yen (authorized capital [credit line]: 500 million yen)
    Number of employees 1300 (as of January 1971)

Executive Director and President: D. Lawson
    Vice President: Noboru Hirohara
    Managing Director: Jun Kano

Director: G. Magee
    Teruo Miura
    Reina Shiina

Auditor Fukuda hired

Bank of Banks
    Sumitomo Bank, Hibiya Branch
    Hyakuju Bank, Tokyo Branch

Office Tokyo
    Head Office 1-2-12 Haneda, Ota-ku, Tokyo
    Kansai Branch
    2-5-3 Higashi Toyonancho Toyonaka City Osaka Prefecture
    Hakata Branch
    1112-5 Hara, Fukuoka City, Fukuoka Prefecture

Sales office / branch offices
    Sapporo, Asahikawa, Kushiro, Wadahiro, Akita, Senko
    Koriyama, Gunma Takuki, Utsunomiya, Chiba
    Saitama, Tokyo, Kawasaki, Tachikawa, Zama, Yokohama,
    Yokosuka, Izu Hakone, Shimoda, Hokuriku
    Shizuoka, Numazu, Hamamatsu, Nagoya, Kyoto,
    Osaka, Kobe, Wakeyama, Himeji, Okayama,
    Tsuyama, Hiroshima, Ube, Yonago, Matsuyama, Tokutori,
    Kochi, Fukuoka, Koro, Nagasaki, Kumamoto,
    East Kyushu, Miyazaki, Kagoshima

Major overseas trading companies

Rock-Ola Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

Barry Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

Williams Electronics Co., Ltd.
    Chicago Dynamic Co., Ltd.

Midway Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

Other representative manufacturers around the world: many leisure companies.

Main business partners in Japan

Toho Corporation
    Shochiku Daiko Industry Co., Ltd.

Theater Tokyo Co., Ltd.

Koma Stadium Co., Ltd.
    Korakudan Statium Co., Ltd.

Toyokuen Co., Ltd.

Seibu Department Store Co., Ltd.

Hankyu Department Store Co., Ltd.

Tokyo Rakutenchi Co., Ltd.

National Land Planning Kogyo Co., Ltd.

Nippon Radio Tower Co., Ltd.

Seibu Railway Co., Ltd.

Iwata Kanko Co., Ltd.

In addition, there are many operators, amusement parks, hotels, and leisure companies all over the country.

Interparty Amusement Center
    Business details of SEGA
    1) Manufacture and sale of various amusement machines, rental, import, and export
    2) Amusement center. Management of sports centers.

Sales department activities

Through the sales network of 61 locations nationwide, we sell and rent jukeboxes as well as imported game machines and in-house slot machines nationwide. On the other hand, we operate 31 directly operated amusement centers in Tokyo and Osaka.

First-class excellent salesmen quickly measure the demands of the market and character customers at the sales meeting and put the best number of customer services into practice. Only with this positive corporate spirit. today. We have become able to boast of overwhelming market share.

Through our Tokyo headquarters, Kansai branch, and Hakata branch, we deliver slot machines handled by our company to over 270 operators nationwide. We also have abundant experience in the planning and design of various game venues, and we always have many consultations in this direction.

Sega's modern sales system has a rigorous education. Sega's position as a distributor is further strengthened.

Service activities

Complete and quick service. Our perfect after-sales service is very popular. This is because, through a sales network of 58 locations nationwide, we use over 300 service cars and distribute excellent service personnel who have completed basic training and on-site training.

Manufacturing Department

Sega machines are being produced one after another in factories with world-class modern equipment.

Research and development

Our R & D staff is constantly making challenging new arm machines ahead of the times. Prototypes born in this department can be designed for mass production in the production engineering department.

Quality control department

All Sega machines produced at our factory and parts delivered by vendors can be strictly checked in this department. The reason why Sega machines gain overwhelming trust in the market is due to such strict quality control.

Parts room

Our parts room has up to 500.000 parts and is neatly categorized so that we can respond to sudden orders from customers. Every single part is selected through a rigorous inspection to guarantee the highest quality.

SEGA brand worldwide

Import / export activities

Our game machines can be exported to 44 countries around the world and are loved all over the world.

SEGA, on the other hand, imports a large number of excellent machines as the sole agent in the Lidong district of leading game machine manufacturers around the world, including the United States and the United Kingdom.

Overseas export destination countries

Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, France, Ghana, Gibraltar, Guatemala, Guam, Hong Kong, Iceland, Italy, Ireland, Korea, Kuwait, Liechtenstein. Netherlands, Nigeria, Norway, Okinawa, Panama, Philippines, Pakistan, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Sierra Leone, Singapore, South Vietnam, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Taiwan, UK, USA. Venezuela, West Germany, Yugoslavia, Zambia.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Got these in the post recently:
    [​IMG]

The one on the left is the Game Gag 1P Comic Sega-hen book, which everyone and their mother on the internet is using the description I made for Sega Retro, so now I can make a definitive description for it.

The one on the right I have no idea what it is. The listing thought it was an artbook, Black Squirrel think it's a book related to the Sakura Wars movie, and from what I can tell looking through it, it might just be a strategy guide for the first game. Not sure about any of those.

Looking at it's ISBN number:
    [​IMG]

The only two relevant results that come up are both about Gainax, but when you look at the Sakura Wars: The Movie page you'll see Gainax doesn't have anything to do with it.

Any help would be appreciated on this second book as these pictures nor a page currently exists on Sega Retro for this Sakura Taisen book.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Snap

A slightly more terrifying story - I couldn't remember where this was, so I did searches for "1970" and "operations" on the wiki itself and Google, and they both came up with blanks. Impressive.

11. Gryson

Gryson

Thanks for posting this! Much appreciated.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I thought this might be a typo but no:

[​IMG]

Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! was indeed given a rating through Sega's Videogame Rating Council. MA-17? Who'd have thought.

Points to anyone who finds other non-Sega games using Sega's rating system.

13. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
  14. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    So, I'm going slightly crazy.

In Sega Arcade History, the book claims https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=Rock'n_Bark is the first rhythm video game. I'm tempted to trust that, but there's also internet noise that Kasco/Kansei Seiki Seisakusho released an EM game in the early 1970s that had the player lift skirts to a rhythm. However, I can't find any evidence of such a game actually existing, leading me to believe it may have been an unreleased idea.

If you'd like to help me chase down a weird perv rhythm game, I'd appreciate it. Either way, I think the argument can be made that it's the first rhythm video game, but I want to see if it's the first rhythm game overall.

15. Powpuck

Powpuck

It's also another inexplicable use of the word "bark" by Sega. What's it mean???

16. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I'm curious by what you're thinking of by "another", but an educated guess is that it's a weird translation of 鳴く, which can mean birdsong, barking, sound, etc. It's kind of a catchall word. Alternately, it could be the "bark" of a machine gun, but that seems like a stretch.

Either way it's some serious Engrish.

17. Powpuck

Powpuck

https://info.sonicretro.org/Bark_the_Polar_Bear

I thought maybe comparing and contrasting the two might reveal... something?

It'd be interesting if Bark does mean sound, as does Sonic, but like Bark is slow. I guess he claps a lot, could that be it?

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I imagine it's a really bad translation of something. There was a lot of that back in the day, and because it was never imagined anyone outside Japan would ever care, they didn't worry about it.

As for Kasco - my gut instinct is mechanical skirts are a bit fiddly for the early 1970s, so the chances of finding a working model are slim. But then again, everything prior to like, 2000 is a bit of a mystery.

19. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Oh, to be clear: I'm looking for confirmation of a name and year only--a working model is probably a moon shot. We at least have a solid claim of having both, and this other game is just basically "someone said in an interview it exists". That does not count as a claim in my eyes.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Does ANYONE know what "Senjou no Valkyria Settei Shiryoushuu (戦場のヴァルキュリア 設定資料集) is?

It's SOMETHING related to the Senjou no Valkyria (anime) and was released in August of 2009.

It's on this page here: (http://portal.valkyria.jp/goods/book/data/#book_1) but looking it up only gets me the link I posted, the Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive, and this book from Azure Revolution, Aoki Kakumeki no Valkyria Settei Shiryoushuu.

I can't make heads or tails of it when the only source of it's existence is from that website while every other single search gets me those other two books.