don't click here

In this thread we flip through magazines on the wiki and find prototype screenshots.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Rlan, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  2. Prototype

Prototype

In the "Bienvenido Al Proximo Nivel" (Welcome to the Next Level) VHS promo tape, it contains brief beta video footage of the upcoming Power Rangers game for Megadrive. We see further shots from the early prototypes (which predate drx's protos of the game) in the pages of TodoSega. Immediately identifiable differences from the screenshots include unfinished/miscoloured sprites, different cutscene artwork, different character select artwork, different stage backgrounds, two Monster characters who don't make it to the final (Pudgy Pig and Dark Warrior), and Cyclopsis is referred to as Shiny/K.I. Shiny, an abbreviated form of an early production name from the monster, Knight In Shiny Mirrors. (This name makes it to the earliest of drx's protos, and at least one piece of ancillary 1993 merchandise).

This prototype was previewed in the pages of TodoSega lasting from about Issues #17 to #21 IIRC, with the final release version of the game being reviewed in the following issue, where they acknowledge the massive retooling the game underwent throughout production, which gives an interesting snapshot of the development time.

What I don't understand is why the game was specifically advertised and marketed earlier in Spanish territories. John Pedigo himself states that it was an odd move, but perhaps this was a decision by Saban himself? My working theory is that MMPR was gaining popularity outside of the US, and Spanish folks had grown up with dubbed Sentai. It was potentially a way to gauge reactions to the game from the closest thing to an existing fanbase without hurting it in it's "home" territory of the US.

I analyzed the shit outta drx's protos. Shame that this proto seems to have vanished off the face of the Earth (potentially wiped?). If a copy does still exist, it's probably in some dusty basement in Spain.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    So, uh, this is an interesting little find: a "Fantasy Zone 2" arcade game?

[​IMG]

The article talks about a Fantasy Zone Part 2, where:

• "A little maze sensation added new fun to the shooting game."
    • "Also, a fun arrangement has been added to the money that comes from defeating enemies, and the bills are mixed in the coins that are scattered."
    • "Speaking of the “Fantasy Zone” shop, it was a balloon floating in the air, but in this work the position was fixed. There were also some changes to the items you could buy."
    But it's also not Opa-Opa, because that is listed separately later in 1987. It just sounds a lot like Fantasy Zone II for the SMS in arcade form. What the heck is this?

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  5. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    That would actually match up as it has a Feb. 1987 date--I just glossed over the System E version for whatever reason.

6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    But didn't M2 make a Fantasy Zone II Arcade for PS2 using real arcade hardware? What happened with that version then?

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That one came much later.

Sega did put the DX version in arcade cabinets, but I don't think I ever quite worked out if they actually manufactured real boards or emulated everything. I also don't know how widespread the release was - those Sega arcades are like little communities, with tournaments and one-off special things happening all the time.

But in 1987/1988 Sega basically took the Master System Fantasy Zone II and put it in an arcade cabinet, as they did with a handful of games at the time. I don't know why.

8. Dee Liteyears

Dee Liteyears

deep in the past
    Spriting and hardly getting shit done
    This early screen of Columns for Game Gear from EGM #15 1990
    Interesting how the graphics look more Egyptian themed rather than Greek. I'd Wish I knew if there's more of this version, or if it is nothing more than a mockup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    Interesting, especially since Columns 3 goes entirely Egyptian as you go through a Pyramid.