don't click here

Sonic 3 A.I.R. Release Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by 360, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    I dont suppose there is a way to activate it without achievements? and if so can you tell me how?[/QUOTE]
    No, it has to be unlocked with achievements first. Or you cheat by replacing the file that stores your achievement progress...

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I like this idea a lot, but it does mean you'd lose the 'random' element completely whenever a shield box was below the water line. Quick question - is it worth implementing a Sonic 2 style "regular" shield that's only used in the random shields mode? That way even with an underwater check there'd be at least one other shield which could be used underwater - it would help maintain that element of randomness when a shield spawns below the water level, as it'd mean there was a chance you'd get a shield which wouldn't help you breathe.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Yes, BRING BACK THE SONIC 2 SHIELD!

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd be down for that, and it'd bring the shield count up to Mania's. Nothing to lose there :V

Speaking of Mania, some lovely soul has ported a good selection of Mania Tails sprites over to this, but unfortunately it's only Tails. I'm really hoping someone does Sonic and Knuckles at some point (At least Sonic anyway I hate Sonic 3's Sonic sprites). Ah well, at least someone at least ported over the Sonic 3 Complete sprites that include fixes for Super Sonic.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    If the Sonic 1/2 shield is brought back, please let it deflect projectiles like the others. In Mania it doesn't and it feels so underpowered compared to them.

6. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Wow, I wouldn't have thought that the simple classic shield is so beloved!
    For the next update, I made all underwater fire / lightning shields either a ring monitor or bubble shield. At least for now.

7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Just wanted to chime in and say how much I appreciate the addition of the Super Peel-Out (which I requested a while back) in the latest version. It plays great and it's a lot of fun being able to use the drop-dash, insta-shield and Peel-Out all in the same playthrough (which of course you could only do in Sonic Mania Plus via a level select cheat-code). Also, the random monitors is a nice idea. Certainly makes it more interesting not knowing what you'll get (I appreciate you changing it for the next update so that you can't get the lightning or flame shield under water).

As for the new achievements. Took me a few attempts to remember how to get all 50 rings in the snowboard section of Ice Cap-carefully timing the required jump in order to get the extra 10 rings which are so easy to miss.

I accessed the first star-post in Hydrocity in act 2 to get a lightning shield and then unlocked the "Electrofishing" achievement (which is tricky because the level layout normally means you hit the star-post with not enough rings to get the Glowing Sphere bonus - you have to carefully slow-down, jump over the starpost, collect more rings, backtrack and then enter the bonus stage). There's probably an easier way to unlock this achievement which I haven't realised.

I mentioned to Eukaryot on twitter that I'd like to be able to play the unused 8th special stages from Sonic 3 and S&K (which could be accesed via the original level-select in S3 and S&K respectively). I know of course those special stages are playable in Sonic Mania, but I'd also like to be able to play them in 3 AIR. Maybe just add them as a playable/unlockable option in the stage select menu? Or better yet add the option to play them in a normal playthrough (after collecting the usual seven emeralds) and you need to beat the 8th special stage to become Super Sonic/Hyper Sonic etc.

As for the Sonic 1/2 shield. There isn't much point in adding it to be honest. I mean, sure it was included in Mania, but aside from the fact that you don't lose the Sonic 1/2 shield when underwater, it's not much use apart from basic protection-doesn't have the advantages of the elemential shields which helps traverse Sonic 3's level design more easily. If you do add it then please make it look like Sonic 1/CD's version as Sonic 2's version of the shield looks dreadful.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    How dare you the Sonic 2 shield is lovely :V

Anyway I noticed a minor bug on my most recent playthrough. The MHZ to FBZ cutscene is slightly broken as a result of the peel out move. Since holding up and jumping results in the peel out, Sonic doesnt actually jump up to the ship. The cutscene will continue but Sonic will look like he's hanging onto air

9. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Fixed that in this small update.
    Plus some other improvements!
    v19.08.05
    • Fix for speed shoes activated underwater
    • When using randomized monitors of any kind, underwater shield monitors are either the bubble shield or replaced by ring monitor
    • Changed original S3&K game behavior that monitors could be opened by jumping at their side (it's more consistent with Sonic 1/2/CD/Mania and Sonic 3 alone now)
    • Fix for corrupted lightning shield sparks after Super transform cancelled or ended
    • Fix for too quiet music after 1-up jingle when using below 100% music volume
    • Added smooth rotation on AIZ and MHZ vines
    • Select Knuckles's start of CNZ and ICZ depending on where he left the previous zone
    • Fix for the CNZ "wheel glitch" occuring e.g. when you stand on a monitor below the first wheel in CNZ 1
    • Fix for random crushing near barrels in some places of CNZ
    • Fix for a MHZ 2 transition cutscene animation glitch when Super Peel-Out is active
    • Allow for jumping off the DEZ light tunnel launchers during the countdown
    • Added screen shake effect for Super/Hyper Sonic's Drop Dash
    • Change to "Squirrels on a plane" achievement: the 5 animals from the boss are neither counted nor needed any more
    • Slightly reduced achievement requirements for most unlockables
    • Added experimental fast forwarding of some cutscenes while key W or gamepad Y is held down
    • Added a confirmation dialog before exiting the game from the pause menu
    • Added restart options in pause menu for Normal Game & Act Select as well
    • Now with proper sample mods
    v19.08.06
    • Added an experimental Sonic CD-like extended camera in the options menu
    • Fixed bugs in yesterday's version causing wrong defaults for options, or on first game start even an error message and crash

I just hope it does not introduce new bugs. If you encounter one, let me know :)

Edit August 6:
    Another small update, link got updated.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  10. IndyCotton

IndyCotton

What do you feel on adding the music from S&K Collection? I'm particularly craving to have the Super/Hyper-theme from that game implemented as an option over the invincibility theme loops:

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I don't believe that was the super/hyper theme?

12. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Yeah, it was merely an unused track. Sonic 3 Complete's use of it wasn't how things were originally done.

I believe Eukaryot's mentioned a few times that he's not particularly keen on adding Sonic & Knuckles Collection audio options to the game, and I imagine swiping tunes from an established, famous ROM hack isn't appealing either. You can make audio mods for the game, though: I made one from the original MIDI data scaled back to Genesis limitations.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M3x63lwLEcWjr9HqhZ_4oG9Zt3Mtin-q/view

The unused track can be made into the Super theme by choosing the Sonic 2 option for Super music. The Sonic 3 Knuckles theme of course requires the Sonic 3 option for it to be set.

13. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    If you're gonna add the basic shield can you please let it bounce off projectiles like the rest of them? It being vulnerable like that in Mania always boggled my mind.

14. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Hey everyone!
    After all the preview versions lately, there's now a new stable update.
    Not much has changed since last week - only some bugfixes and introduction of a portable installation @Delta (see the manual PDF). But no classic shield yet. ;-)
    This is mainly meant to be a replacement for the last stable update released back in May this year.

15. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Nevermind

16. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    Oh nice, thank you! I kind of wasn't expecting it, haha. A very simple solution, too.

17. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Just found a minor bug in the latest version after you've freed the animals at the end of an Act. It happens when you jump and use the drop dash just before Sonic poses; it's done it a number of times now (though Sonic stays a few pixels in the air normally).

I've uploaded the recording so you can see what happens.

Attached Files:

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

Looks like I accidentally discovered a softlock; if you use Tails Control and fly him into the cannon at the end of Carnival Night Act 2, but manage to not get in there yourself, he can't fire and you can't move. Dunno if this happens with any of the other cannons in the zone.
    [​IMG]

19. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Thank you, I'll have a look into the recording!

Tried it out, and it looks like this can happen with every cannon. Shouldn't be much of a problem to fix.
    By the way, nice Sonic 2 HUD :)
    (For everyone wondering, here is the HUD modding tweet.)

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I recently started playing this I have to say that it's an awesome port! This has become my favorite way of playing S3K.

Got a question, though: Is there any way of assigning Hidden Palace Zone its own music track separate from Lava Reef 2? If not, can I request that feature?