don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Yeah it did

and now we have pretty good evidence, too.

IIRC the water color was changed to mask a parallax scroll bug, but it is unclear whether this happened before or after Sonic's palette was changed.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

... yeah I can't tell.

As you were.

3. [​IMG]

4. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    The work in progress iteration of the game used for the Nick Arcade looks to already use the mute palette for Sonic himself. The Marble Zone digitizer(?) mockup.... completely unsure. Color correction in Paint.NET did not get me anywhere in matching the saturated palette.

5. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    [​IMG]
    Stay tuned.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49-MRRbc0QM&t=0s

Remember the Sonic 1 Almost Remastered project for Sonic Mania? Well here's Sonic 2 Almost Remastered by the same developer. It seems to be a fairly decent amount of the way done too which is pretty surprising as I don't think we've seen any of this so far. But I can't wait, I loved the 1st Almost Remastered project and I like Sonic 2 much more than Sonic 1.

Also for those who liked Sonic 1 Almost Remastered and were upset that it no longer works with the latest version of Mania, fear not because they're currently working on an update. They just want to polish up some other things too before they release it which is fair.

7. kazblox

kazblox

Diassemblies and decompilations.
    I can clearly see that Sonic is using his final color within the last photo posted. Tweaking with the hue and saturation proves this statement much more clearly, and the cartridge used for the Nick Arcade test pilot shows. It is presumably, given the evidence plus my observations, the same one used for all the common demonstrations of this era.

8. Jdpense

Jdpense

Sonic 2 Chaos Adventure
    I like the idea of remastering older Sonic games while utilizing Mania's game engine, since it will definitely make playing Mania a more interesting experience for me...

As for me, here is a clip of what I am working on for this year...

... it's a similar concept to a hack I released about a year and half ago...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Loving the 8-bit power-ups, but I think you need to give the rocket shoes a little bit more slidyness to make them feel more like the original.

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Nice work Jdpense! :) Will you be porting these over to S3K at a later date?

11. Nintorch

Nintorch

Just another programmer. Member
    There are a lot actually..
    (my first post, heh) I'm working on my hack, i don't created a name for it, i want to show you some screenshots (i will change FG and other original content)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    P.S. This Tails was ported by me.

12. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    All of the older levels in Sonic Mania: The Misfits Pack are being retrofitted with new paths/mechanics, better visuals, and overall more polish. Here are a few pictures of the latest version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Release date: When It's Done

13. Nintorch

Nintorch

Jubbalub, this looks very good, most of all I like your Labyrinth zone with this awesome BG

14. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    It's looking good so far, my favorites are the Wood Zone because of the use of the saws, it reminds me of a level from Pandemonium and I like Labyrinth Zone for it's more "ruiny" approach =3

It's my birthday today, so I wanted to show something off:

Pop quiz - Which player is the CPU player?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  15. Nintorch

Nintorch

Hmm, this looks interesting, Markey. It is really something new i think. And, I think upper player is CPU.

16. shawnsmitherson

shawnsmitherson

RocketDogShawn Member
    Happy Birthday, Markey! Damn, that menu you created is slick. Loving that little remix, too.

17. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Happy Birthday Markey! Pretty much everything about that video blew my tiny mind, great to see it in motion.

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Awesome work as always MJ! With you and Natsumi teamed up together, you two are making one amazing S3K hack! (Or is it just a standard Blue Spheres hack? Either way your work always impresses me!) Also I think both characters are controlled by the CPU. :P

19. I'm going to guess Player 2 is the CPU. Player 1 seemed to move closer to how I would when I play the levels, and Player 2 had some pick-up patterns that were different than how I would have done it.

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    And the winner is Ravenfreak!

They're both CPU players...

The CPU players have been written as if they knew how to play the game, but have never played the level before. They react in a similar fashion to the way a human (or rather I) would have done, so you'll see at the beginning they'll look around to see where the blue spheres are before going, this is typically what a normal person would do upon starting a level. If it doesn't see any blue spheres, it'll go into "roaming mode", where it'll roam around the level and turn/dodge red/bumper spheres, and it'll keep doing this until blue spheres appear on the screen which it can see, the instance it sees a blue sphere, it'll go into "goto mode", here, it'll attempt to goto the blue sphere any way it can, it'll even jump over a series of red/bumper spheres if it thinks it can land and turn to get to the sphere correctly, or else it'll turn and find another route. If it ends up looping around without achieving anything, it goes back to "roaming mode" and looks somewhere else. If it should get to the blue sphere it's found, it'll go into "follow mode", where it'll follow the blue spheres which are next to it (to the left, straight, and to the right), it'll usually turn right first, but if it finds that going right is just a single strand of blue spheres, and going straight or left is a block of blues, then it'll do the block first (This is why the first CPU player in the video always did the 3x3 block before turning to the exit line of blues). While it's in "follow mode" and collecting these blue spheres, it'll be paying attention to blue spheres around it on-screen that might be in the distance, and it'll remember a blue sphere it saw. Once it's finished collecting all of the blue spheres in that group in "follow mode" it'll try to go into "goto mode" and go to the blue sphere it remembered (provided it's not too far away now), if however it sees a closer blue sphere along the way, it'll go for that instead first. If there are no blue spheres to goto that it can see or remember, it'll go back into "roaming mode" and roam around until it finds something. And finally, if it finds itself being in "roaming mode" and being somewhere it's already been before, it'll assume it's not trying hard enough and go into "desperation mode" where it'll roam, but it'll attempt to jump over red/bumper spheres in the attempt to find a different area where there might be blue spheres. In the above video, both CPU players only reached "desperation mode" after all blue spheres were collected, so it really is a last minute desperation thing.

Thank you d=

This is actually for the S3K hack, though, we ran out of ROM space and had to expand and modify a few emulators to support the new 8MB range, distributing the hack might be a problem though since we're not sure on whether or not it'd be OK to distribute modified versions of Kega and Regen, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.