don't click here

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Olympics announced

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Frostav

Frostav

How does a character literally no one fucking likes keep getting in these games

Lost World was a disease

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well it's weird, from the looks of it I don't think Zavok is playable. He appears to be some sort of boss.

And honestly I think the answer is that he's a heavy in a series that lacks heavies. It's the same reason why Vector gets shoehorned into situations while Espio and Charmy are left out. Maybe if Mighty or Bark got a modern redesign we wouldn't be forced to see Zavok so much but until we get a new modern heavy rep (preferably a villain) we're stuck with this asshole.

3. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    The best part of these games is watching Sonic job to Mario in a foot race.

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    For the most part I don't really have any interest in this subseries at all. But I am curious to know what was up with that Tokyo 1964 "retro" scene, which shows the characters as sprites from their original games at 0:33 in the trailer.

(Also another case of Sega unable to keep their story straight on whether the original/"Classic" Sonic design from the Genesis days is just a different artistic style from the current Sonic, or a separate character from a different timeline/dimension...)

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

This is the second Olympics title that Zavok is in, and it's very likely the same situation as before - he's a guest character playable only in one event.

6. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Just give me those sweet, sweet remixes, Sega!

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I just totally lost it 33 seconds. Apparently Sonic 2 Death Egg Zone Eggman lives on....he's still "faster" than Sonic :v:

8. Powpuck

Powpuck

Eggman has always been a Walkie Talkie Man. He even has the bright red fluro jacket.

9. netscapenow

netscapenow

I'm interested in seeing how the skateboarding event turns out. Looks like a Tony Hawk clone, let's see if Sega can do better in a party game than Robomodo ever could.

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    CLASHING ASSETS UGGGGGHHHH

Especially the Sonic cast. At least all the Mario sprites are from SMB 1, but Sonic's are from Sonic 1, Tails' are from Sonic 2, and Knuckles' are from Sonic 3, just like every sprite based piece of Classic merchandise.

Could have used those nice Mania sprites they made and maybe made some similar ones for Mario based off his SMW style but nope. Reused assets. I get why I just don't like it.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I stopped caring the moment I noticed they weren't even bothering to make new frames/sprites for the characters.

13. Why would they it isn’t even canon

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    At the same time though they bothered modeling new clothes/outfits for characters that in past games never really changed outfits all that much. They're even giving Sonic characters unnecessary shirts for events.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    What does that have to do with anything?

16. You have to make your noncanon look ugly

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I'm not sure I get it. Is that some weird way of saying that since it's a bonus mode we can't expect them to put a lot of effort into it?

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ... fucking what?

19. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Guys. 'The true competition between Mario and Sonic is not an Olympic one.' That's what I was thinking of.

Fanservice should not be taken too seriously. Besides, does a proper 16-bit Bowser even exist?

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Kinda. They made some more proper Bowser SMW sprites for Mario Maker given the original ones were garbage