don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    All you people keep complaining about "Paramount not sticking to the source material" obviously haven't seen This. Paramount was just sourcing back even farther than we knew. Those crafty execs must be true Sonic fans. You all should take a lesson from their book.
    //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/ruby.png

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I saw Detective Pikachu today and was pretty surprised to see the Sonic trailer before the movie started. Kinda figured Paramount would be all over pulling that. Even so, the crowd seemed entertained by it, especially the bit with Sonic in the duffle bag. Aside from a cute Angry Birds 2 Mother's Day song, it was the only thing pre-movie to get any sort of reaction. The trailer was slightly different than the one published online though (i.e. part of Eggman berating the Major was cut), which means someone was paid to cut up this soon-to-be-obsolete trailer.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Jokes on you - this is real and Mania is the dream.

4. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    ahahahahahahahha Yasuhara posted this:

https://twitter.com/Yasuharah/status/1127463459992375296?s=19

In response to Iizuka saying Sega isn't involved in the movie at all.

This whole thing is such a shitstorm lmao

5. RDNexus

RDNexus

At the same time, it seems another AMA popped up on Reddit...
    Someone saw another test screening of the Sonic Movie

For starters, it seems Sonic may actually look more like this poster:
    [​IMG]

Apparently, said entity enjoyed the movie quite a bit.
    Sonic gets cooler and snarky as the movie progresses.
    He also gets gloves and his trademarks shoes along the way.
    Lots of throwbacks to the Classic Games.
    Paramount seemed to want to make a Movie Trilogy.

If anyone is interested, read the AMA.
    If this is all proved true, Paramount deserves to die in a fire xD

6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    That poster(?) bugs the hell out of me, because it gives me the impression that they were originally pulling for Chris Pratt instead of James Marsden

7. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Eh, I'm gonna go ahead and guess this is fake.

8. I did find it curious how the Sega logo got used in the trailer after hearing all this.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    A quick glance over of the post points in this direction, yes.

10. RDNexus

RDNexus

May be so. The poster on Reddit also said to take it with a BIG grain of salt, since it's difficult to confirm it's veracity.

11. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I think to myself "Take it like a man", but heck, don't force me to reflect on these kinda things! Sounds a bit childish... I'm not a child anymore. If it doesn't tickle your fancy, don't watch it. That's it for now. Paramount should have said something like "Yeah, we can do that. But just so you know, fans won't be happy about the outcome" or "We love Sonic, but maybe you should ask someone else".

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Honestly I think people are too quick to judge. I understand why people are apprehensive about the movie but you wouldn't be writing it off so soon if you've read the script. Here's the scenes after the “Meow” scene in the trailer, for instance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Dr. Flungus:

"There's the frank, and there's the beans..."

Camera pans overhead to view of chili-dog between Sonic's legs.

Officer Burpo:

"That's a fat juicy wiener". He leans his head downward between Sonic's legs.

Camera zooms in to awkward view between Sonic's legs. Burpo reaches out and picks a piece of lint off the tip of the pink wiener, which glistens proudly under the examination light.

Sonic:

"Save some for me, dude!" Sonic rolls into a tight ball and goes to town eating his own chilli-dog, managing to get it in his mouth fairly deep, too.

Dr. Flungus fans herself in a sassy southern lady manner.

[​IMG]

14. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    She's called Blungus, B-L-U-N-G-U-S.

15. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    *if* that's actually the true script, I guess the cat and frog would be a nod to Big the Cat and Froggie. And of course "that's no good" is a nod from AoStH's "Sonic Says" advice.

I'm probably stating the bleeding obvious here though :p

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    More to add to the data than anything else: I saw Detective Pikachu tonight at a Vue cinema and there was no Sonic trailer before hand.

The group I went with pretty much universally reacted with either revulsion or mocking of the Sonic trailer when it was brought up in conversation beforehand, as an aside. Conversely, all of them enjoyed Detective Pikachu.

17. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    John Oliver made fun of the Sonic movie on Last Week Tonight.

[​IMG]

18. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    For all the mockery the movie is getting for its design, methinks the real problem isn't the negative PR but how that PR won't translate into video game sales.

Normies are laughing at this like Carrie at prom after her red shower but it isn't inspiring any kind of sales reaction in regards to the franchise itself. I don't think it'll make new fans but will merely be something to joke about on twitter which will be forgotten by the average joe immediately after release. To that end, I wonder why Sega sold the rights at all? Sure they got a payday out of it but it seems to be a symptom of them not giving two shits about the brand with no long term goal (yeah, stating the obvious).

We know the future of Classic Sonic will more than likely be some Mania successor, we know the next Adventure Sonic game is already in the works, the question is how are they going to monetize the negative momentum produced by the movie? What is Sega's PR plan after this dumpster fire?

19. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    To ignore it, like they've ignored all their other mistakes.....only to reference one character out of context several years later.

20. Who told you the next adventure Sonic game is in the works? Have not seen or heard that anywhere. That seems like wishful thinking.

I do wonder about the PR though. Maybe it's bad or good, but this is the first time in a long time I've heard Sonic talked about this much outside of the videogame space. You basically have to go back to the 90s to see Sonic talked about this much. I don't think that is a totally bad thing at all. The worst thing in the world in entertainment is irrelevance. No one talking.