don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    https://youtu.be/XRW6KVSSm78?t=1336

Great video for those who think the changes will be major.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Mmmmnah most people have made the same plot assumptions you have cause they're pretty obvious.

They're also pretty boilerplate and range from bad to meh.

3. Powpuck

Powpuck

He didn't dodge the dart because he's a sedative junkie. His plot arc has him overcoming addiction.

4. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Sure. Or... you know, he just got caught off guard by something unexpected happening.

5. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Most people on Retro perhaps, but I said a lot of the people on YouTube. I've watched about 5 high profile reviews and I see people making the same comments, “it makes no sense he can't dodge a dart!”, “Why doesn't Jim Carey look like Robotnik at all?”, etc. My point was just to evidence that these people are shitting on the film without giving any credit to an unknown context. Consider if the Sonic design had been nearly perfect, would all these people on YouTube still be willfully ignorant as to why Robotnik does not immediately appear like the character they recognize, or would they naturally accept that he evolves into the traditional villain, just like a thousand other films have done, without question.

Next, the story may overall be boilerplate, and if so the film should be derided for it, but in no way can any of the examples I cited be considered boilerplate. Yes, it's “boilerplate” for each character to be surprised and scared by the other on first encounter. But no, it's not boilerplate for a character to dodge a dart because he lacks an ability which he later gains. The criticisms I am responding to are an overall willfull ignorance about many aspects of the film. If they think it's boilerplate, complain about that. If they think Sonic is ugly, complain about it. But if we throw critical thought out the window and start complaining that literally everything is shit, when we have no context whatsoever, it only devalues the valid criticisms.

Your response was the same thing, you overlook the valid points I made and said, ~everybody already knows this. And it doesn't matter because it's old hat. To be painfully clear, it's not “ok” to act like everything is fucking trash just because some aspects are trash. We only harm ourselves.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Another "stop complaining, wait and see" cultured take to add to the pile. This series has no historical precedent of (positively) subverting expectations, and first impressions with upcoming Sonic stuff have typically tend to be vindicated as the correct ones with the final product.

Same old bullshit, all-new timeslot.

e: wow didn't know all three of these posts were made in may. lmao this really is some sonic cycle shit.

7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    • Bad character design
    +
    • Bad art direction • Bad production quality in general • Bad plot • Bad casting besides Eggman • Bad concept in general • Bad management • Poor judgment and communication • Complete non-sequitur trajectory for this franchise that demonstrates what little regard the producers held for the property

Tee hee, just wait and see~! Could be good ;)

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    The Sonic Fan base has this battered wife type of deal going on with them. "They...they won't hurt us this time, they've changed. We'll wait and see! It'll get better!"

9. Now y'all have to spend years tracking down the beta movie with the old model.

10. My nephew's apparently p. hyped to see the movie, and it'll release right around his 9th birthday so my sister and her husband are going to take him to see the movie as a birthday present. I'm less than thrilled about the movie myself, but eh... if someone can enjoy it then more power to them. I already went through the "wtf is this shitty movie version of a character from my childhood" with those awful CGI Ninja Turtles movies, I just don't have the energy to care about this movie.

11. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    A lot of the things from "Sonic Fans" I've seen being said involve things like "I'll watch it but I'm not paying for it", which makes me wonder why the writers/directors/animation staff should listen to ANY of them and say "Okay we're gonna change the design". It's bending over backwards for people who will ask you to bend further, which will not only make THEM not want to work with you, but will more than likely mean nobody will want to work with the brand again, meaning no animated movie for you if that's what you've really been wanting.

As someone who's been on board with this movie since it was announced to be in development, I'm staying on board as I've seen zero reason to bitch about "muh arms" "muh connected eye" or "muh shoes", and this movie looks genuinely enjoyable to me. The only thing that's soured my mood has been the people complaining either because they wanna be a part of a trend, or because this isn't the movie they would make. I dread the thought that they would begin to change the design to any of the gross "fixes" I've seen flying around online.

But whatever. We'll see what's next when we see what's next.

12. So hey, I don't mean to be difficult but are you actually engaging in the conversation here or just standing up to false gatekeeping? I haven't followed this topic super-close at all but I haven't seen complaints about the arms/connected eye/shoes here being prominent complaints? If the movie looks genuinely enjoyable to you then hey - go enjoy it! To try to dismiss the fact that others don't think it'll be enjoyable to them as if their opinion is invalid is just dumb, though.

13. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Maybe it's more of general complaints I've seen rather than anything in specific from here, I probably could've mentioned the "gotta fix fast" thing in the first half to make it clearer where that was supposed to be going, but eh. Maybe the entire post was a bit hasty, but I also didn't want to drone on about something I felt most people would brush off anyways.

14. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I think it's clear that the majority of people all over social media find the Sonic design to be grotesque and ugly, and Jeff Fowler wouldn't be commenting on the matter if the feeling wasn't realized to be mutual internally at Paramount.

15. Frostav

Frostav

A guy I know on twitter is a really nice guy, but by god he's one of those Modern fans who feels the need to hold that "I'm gonna hope for the best! c:" attitude towards every fucking thing Sonic related and this movie is no exception. I don't get it at all.

16. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    the best take in this thread so far

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    If you wanted a Sonic film made entirely in CG you could always watch in-game cutscenes. Or that animated Sonic film from ten years ago - it's not really playing to the strengths of the movie industry.

Live action Sonic is immesely stupid but at least they're smart enough to realise it's a film. There's supposedly a CG Mario movie in the works that'll probably follow strict Nintendo guidelines - it's difficult to get excited by the idea.

The bigger problem here though is contempt for the audience. I reiterate - don't buy a ticket.

18. Hey guys

Been away for a while (new laptop, lost old password & email etc) but seeing as I wanted to throw in my 2pence I thought I'd boot up old trusty and get back into my account... and...

It looks fucking shit!!!

It 100% reminds me of when those corporate spiv types on The Apprentice try and do something creative for a task, think they are creative gods when they aren't, then it turns to shit when Alan Sugar rips them a new one in the board room. But by then it's too late, the trash has been made.

But who am I kidding, we where never going to get the dream Sonic OVA, cgi animated with pounding neo techno soundtrack where we. It was always going to be yet another creatively void crapfest made by corporate buffons with sponges for brains...

... and I love it. I love it's shitness, and to be honest I was gutted when they said they was going to change Sonic's design.

Now when I go and see it after 5 hours in the pub it won't be 'oh my god wtf is a Sonic' funny, it'll just be 'meh he looks a bit better I guess' mediocre, and that's a shame.

Thanks for ruining my plans for a good day out Paramount.

On a lighter note, been heavily getting into the legend of zelda franchise, and it's glorious!! Nice change playing these truly awesome games rather than being consistently let down with Sonic.

EDIT: Mods - when I type Sonic Retro in google and click the first result, I get taken to one of those spammy malware type pop up sites

19. Had the same thing happen to me; I typed the site name in to get accurate data on PkR et al's Sonic Adventure stuff for a reddit comment instead of going from memory. I tried it again just now and it's working normally, but when I tried earlier today it was a "Congratulations on being the 568769819th visitor! Click here to claim your prize!" spam thing. I wonder if Cloudflare's just shitting itself and caching the wrong site?

20. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Again, completely mischaracterized my point, which is just so typical around here...

Being intellectually honest does not imply a positive evaluation. I think the movie looks bad from what I've seen. I too find little reason to ever be optimistic about anything Sonic, pre-release.

However, I refuse to hit my head against a sidewalk so I can appease the mob, and therefore, to people like you, I am not extreme enough. How childish.

Wait, wait, I got it -- literally everything is horseshit, especially the shit we know nothing about. In fact, that's the shittiest-shit, and even though I don't know what it is -- it doesn't make sense, it's shit.

OK, can I join the club now, or am I still an apologist in your eyes?