don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    If they don't actually go all the way and do this it's not gonna really please anybody.

2. At this point, I'll be glad if they fix the human teeth and human body proportions.

3. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I hope they make it worse.

4. Why?

Would you not want to see a sonic movie that may possibly be decent?

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Changing this movie to be "decent" would likely require it to be re-written and re-shot from scratch. The Sonic design is far from the only thing wrong with this film. You've still dealing with a hackneyed boilerplate story and script that's nothing like the source material and doesn't even look good for what it's trying to be.

And honestly? If this was the route they felt was good for a Sonic movie I'd rather not they waste everyone's time by trying to make it closer resemble the property it is nominally based on at the 11th hour. It only comes across as offering platitudes, because they went back to fix mistakes that shouldn't had been made in the first place.

6. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    I don't know a whole lot about how these movies are produced, but I wonder how easy it is to swap out the model and re-render?

7. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    PERFECT

But knowing they are fixing this changes everything for me, there is still hope after all! I am crying tears of joy!!

8. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I'm not 100% sure on how movie production works exactly, but I imagine swapping out the model with a new one would cost a lot, potentially putting the movie way over the budget. Editing the current model might be the "cheapest" route to go here. Saw some people bring up the possibility of executive meddling on Twitter. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, but probably not.

9. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    There's probably gonna be a lot of pressure to fix this now that Yuji Naka is mentioning it.
    https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1124138211918270464

All I hope is that they go all the way and actually give him his game design rather than simply make him look slightly less terrible.

10. Turbohog

Turbohog

Sonic will still look like shit. Even if they were to actually make a good model, the movie would still be bad though. The trailer was awful.

Also, Naka already tweeted about how bad Sonic looked when the poster was revealed.

11. Toasty

Toasty

BulbaSAUR! Member
    I keep seeing people defending this atrocious design with "it's made to appeal to today's kids, not kids of the 90's!" My kids were born in 2014 and 2016 and they know who Sonic is; they're terrified of this awful design.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ugh I hate shit like that. Sonic's design is basically timeless (particularly classic Sonic). You don't need to mess with it. Make him fluffy fine but the rest doesn't and shouldn't be messed with. It's creepy.

Also another thing that's been bugging me about this movie. WTF is going on with all the fucking electricity? When has Sonic ever shown these electric powers? But its everywhere here. Hell Jim Robotnik licks Sonic's fur and gets electrocuted.... why on multiple levels.

13. Retroman

Retroman

Maybe Sonic's speed produces static electricity all over his body, causing the whole power grid to shutdown when he's going fastâ„¢

That'll be awesome if Robotnik collects these and uses it to power his first Metal Sonic. The teeth are disgusting, the whole model of Sonic looks like a Sonicfied Grinch smashed heads with Sid from Ice Age.

I wonder how they do the live-action stuff nowadays. Do they have a picture attached to the robot that moves with the actor they are interacting with?

I wonder if it's technically possible to change the model 6 months in before the movie's release in post-production. Anyone here with some experience in live action movies can answer this?
    Is this just a stunt to give a positive vibe to a movie? It would be PR suicide if this was a stunt, and I doubt Sega's marketing team would approve that if it was.

I must admit, I love Jim Carey's performance in here. I'd have to be baked to watch this.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic Retro baked live viewing. When's that happening lol

15. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Imagine a world where consumers are upset about a corporation NOT doing diligent focus testing

The cost of reanimating and rerendering the lead character would be enough to sink any movie on its own. 6 years spent in production, confidence lost in 48 hours, movie still needs to ship in 7 months. This RULES

Maybe they can recoup the cost if they start shooting a Fyre Festival-style behind-the-scenes documentary where every disgruntled production staffer gets to cast themselves as the tragic hero who tried to save the Sonic movie.

16. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I just hope Sega isn't footing the bill for the remodeling and reanimateing.

17. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    The movie is coming out in a few month at this point, I don't think they can drastically redesign Sonic at this point.
    It probably won't be too hard to add gloves, at least. And remove these fucking human teeth.

18. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Just thinking this. Man I hope the Sonic CG animators aren't being whipped too badly. Their workload and deadline just got cranked up to 12.

(in b4 they just slap the Dreamcast SA1 model on top of the current footage and call it a day)

19. corneliab

corneliab

Even if Sonic gets overhauled to an acceptable degree (unlikely), all signs still point to this movie being a total dumpster fire.

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I don't think it'll be possible for them to drastically change Sonic's model in the time they have left. We'll probably just get a slightly longer snout and smaller teeth. They'll release another trailer later to an audience that's already over the initial shock and consider it a victory.