don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    What a hot pile of garbage.

Honestly, if they had just not fucked with Sonics design, it wouldn't look....that awful? No....no its awful.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Like ok. If you ignore basically every preestablished thing about Sonic then this movie looks ok. It looks like a kinda fun cute action comedy romp. But it's clear that the last thing this movie was designed for was Sonic fans which is kind of weird but whatever.

3. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    Pros
    >Rolling confirmed
    >Robotnik looks ok after all
    >might be an ok trainwreck to watch

Cons
    >why are we here just to suffer

4. JansenM

JansenM

Devon, UK
    Generations mods
    [​IMG]

Who's willing to bet the delay was from finding a new sponsor and shoe design?

Hey, at least he has socks now... I guess they listened to one thing?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh yea good eye the shoes are different than those of the initial posters. Also Sonic's pupils seem a little more narrow which does look better.

But those teeth are fucking cursed and I hate them.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Welp, that... that is certainly a thing. In terms of live-action video game adaptations, it's hard to believe that this and Detective Pikachu are being released in the same year - one looks like a great, fun take on an iconic video-game franchise, while the other... not so much. I think it's especially bizarre that after retooling the world/characters into more 'realistic' versions (equivalents in-name-only location-wise from what we've seen), they then go and use the iconic Mega Drive sound effects for spinning/ring collection as-is - while as a fan I was happy to hear them, it really jars with the entirety of the rest of their approach...!

On the subject of 'realism' - still not sure what the hell is going on with Sonic's design in particular. It's so unbalanced - they've given his entire body scaled-down adult human proportions (which already looks a little weird as a human that height would be proportioned differently anyway) but then left him with a giant-ass cartoony head more in line with his modern video game proportions. It's like, if you're going to try and make a bizarre new design which gives him human proportions, you either go all in or not at all - this weird-ass halfway approach gives some of the worst of both worlds as the design's left top-heavy from trying to be neither one thing nor the other. Blegh. Also, I get that they wanted to give him 'real' shoes, but surely there's something out there closer to the look of his iconic footwear than just... red trainers? Also, getting the feeling from the trailer this is an 'origin story' for Movie Sonic - presumably he's more of a layabout/rebel and gains his sense of justice from, erm, hanging out with James Marsden's cop character?

Jim Carrey as Robotnik looks entertaining at least - if there's going to be one thing worth having seen this for it'll probably be him, though honestly just that won't be enough to get me to shell out to go and see it, particularly as current circumstances mean cinema visits are somewhat of a luxury right now. Again, not sure why it has to be an 'origin' for him too - surely half the point of having Robotnik in your movie is getting to see him looking like Robotnik and doing Robotnik-like things? On that note - betting that shot of him looking more recognisably Robotnik is from near the end of the movie, setting things up for an almost-certainly-never-to-be-produced sequel.

Anyway, that's just a stream of consciousness of thoughts so far - looks about what I expected given the leaked materials we'd seen beforehand.

Taking bets on how long it'll take for someone to model this design and make a Movie Sonic in SA:DX or Movie Sonic in Generations mod. XD

8. Flygon

Flygon

I... uhm...
    Wow.
    I went in with low expectations and, uhm.

Well, if I'm going to see this, it's going to be with friends and not family. And I know my friends would be going in for the same reasons as me. But not the sort of movie I'd go alone for.

Would've been nice to see a movie about Robotnik without Sonic though. :v:

9. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    There's been rumors going around that the final scene with Jim Carrey having the actual Robotnik moustache is a sequel bait scene at the end.

10. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

The only praise I can give this movie is the spin attack animation. Everything else needs to be a very long april fools prank.

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Am I the only one that... kinda likes it?

I mean as a Sonic movie it's going to be terrible, but if you treat it as a generic superhero movie it actually looks kinda good.

12. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    The trailer itself was exactly what I imagined it'd be, beat for beat.

13. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Sonic looking ugly as sin is the only thing keeping me from being behind this movie.

14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    It's not the worst trailer, but it's not Sonic. Everything about it screams "our focus groups consist of people who heard of Sonic once, so we can do whatever." Let's see how it works out for them.

15. Aww, poot. >:T

That was the best part!

[​IMG]

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Reminds me of Project ALF, but worse. :v:

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I wasn't getting that so much as I got "Sonic by way of boomers that dropped the series when the Playstation came out"

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Would definitely be surprised if it wasn't sequel bait now that I've had the chance to take a longer look at it - his outfit's looking dishevelled, which suggests he's already been beaten, and seems to be in what's likely the movie-verse take on Mushroom Hill - which, if so, at least seems to resemble the source material marginally more than "Green Hills" does in that there are actually giant mushrooms of some sort at least. If it is sequel-bait, then from this brief glimpse my bet'd be it's setup for a movie where Eggman finds his own Sonic-alike to take him down, in the form of a similarly ungodly movie redesign of Knuckles. = P

19. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    Looks to me like he's been shrunk. I'm wondering if they're gonna have him use a shrink ray device so that the minature world can be made to look less realistic and more like the games for a few mins just to give a fan service nod.

20. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    "Gangsta's Paradise" is most certainly not a song I'd associate with Sonic though.