don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sup,

[​IMG]

https://picclick.com/GamePro-Video-Game-Secret-Tips-Tactics-Passwords-173793992578.html

Any ideas why we might have black rectangles in Emerald Hill Zone?

p.s. I don't think this VHS has been archived, though it might just be pulling content from the TV show?

2. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    So here's something weird: This picture of Madonna and Sonic that's been floating around for years was apparently from a Saturn rotation function demonstration according to Naoto Oshima:
    https://twitter.com/dakota_iso_kilo/status/1119589842227097600?s=21

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It would be good to have a source for that - like so many things in the early years, nobody thought to write this stuff down.

I've yet to come across it in my internet travels but it could be out there.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It looks like we already knew this was usd in a rotation demo (gotta say that I had either forgotten about it or completely missed it at the time): http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=34294&view=findpost&p=825512

But for the Saturn? I suspect it was for this instead:
    [​IMG]

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Guess they were waiting for the magic wiki fairy™ to come along and log this stuff in a more useful place. You can't be blamed for not remembering a 4 year old forum post.

Incidentally I'm also doubting this is from a Saturn demo - having a sprite rotate isn't exactly a challenge for the system and the Mega-CD had been doing it for years. I'd say given the lack of colours, this is probably a Mega Drive thing, or at least something circa 1990 (before they had some more "final" Sonic art to use).

Dunno if that means Tokyo Toy Show 1990 or something different though.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sheesh, is this one of you guys? If so, please cut it out and stop speaking on behalf of the devs, thank you.

7. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Someone from Discord, name sounds familiar.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god, now he's replying about this while mentioning Ohshima and Naka.

If you're reading this, please stop.

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I don't know if he's on Retro (if he is, he uses another name), but he is on SSRG.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So I was wondering, do we know what's the source for these carefully colored pieces of concept art? I mean, besides that book. Does it say who provided/colored them?

I just found it a bit suspicious that the Cyber City one seems to have been made from a more cropped copy of Tom Payne's scan... so they might have been colored afterwards and the Cyber City colors could be totally made up, in that case.

EDIT: Also, not sure why this one is in the "Sonic 2 development" section of the wiki.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Edit: I should have read all the links before posting.

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because you haven't moved it yet - here's your chance :eng101:

There was a bit of confusion for a while as to which versions came from Sonic 2 and which from Sonic 3.

13. Gryson

Gryson

I can say with certainty that I have read an interview with Naka where he says that they showed that rotation screen with Sonic and Madonna at the Tokyo Toy Show '90. The problem is that I can't immediately recall which interview it was... I'll keep an eye out for it.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I also seem to recall seeing something more about that screen recently. I don't think it was from one of the fake alpha demos on Youtube. I feel like it was original footage. Maybe I imagined it, though.

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    For whatever it's worth, Naka liked his tweet.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And mine too.

16. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Wouldn't pay much attention to what the devs do on social networks that's not clear clean info- it's pretty clear to me they often like and reply to stuff pretty much just to do a polite acknowledgement of "I saw this".

17. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    It appears I've found a prototype of Sonic R's network patch. I don't think this is quite interesting enough for it's own thread (although I haven't looked much into it), but it's still pretty interesting.

I found this, surprisingly, on my old Sonic R CD. It came with a copy of the network patched, and I assumed it was just the official one, but this one's definitely different. It displays the string "hr_temp=DP_OK" at the top-left of every menu, and the main menu is missing the text for some reason. It also produces a "sonicr.log" file do the install directory with the same sort of output as the new mod loader's log. Other than that it seems like a normal copy of Sonic R. I didn't notice any obvious differences in the gameplay or the credits.

I've put it up on the Internet Archive, if anyone wants to take a look.

18. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Just a quick question and I don't want to make a whole thread for it. I was going through old pictures I have saved and found this:

[​IMG]

(Text says Sonic 1.)

What was this? Was it dumped or hoarded? Did it turn out be nothing? I have no recollection of where I saved it from, but I've definitely had it a few years.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  20. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Actually it looks like 13933 is the JP version, but yeah, I should have checked the chip serial first. Welp.