don't click here

Puyo Puyo Champions (PS4, Steam, Switch, XB1)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Coming May 7th.

I guess Puyo Puyo Tetris did well enough over 5 years to warrant another localization. This version is bare bones by comparison, with a focus on competition over modes and story. Also no Tetris. But, if you're looking for online play with blobs only, this is a good way to play officially. No pricing yet, but IIRC launch price was about $5 in Japan, which gets a physical edition for $20 in June on PS4 and Switch.

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I wish I knew how to gitgud at puyo. It's a lot of fun for me on easier modes :v:

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Probably gonna buy it simply because it's Sega.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Puyo Puyo Fever again.

Shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you I guess, but it's hard to get excited by the same cast of screaming girls. Especially when Tsuu mode will still probably be the best.

Be brave - give us Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine 2 and make it look exactly like AoStH (or at least a polished version of it).

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's puyo puyo tetris stripped of most of the content.

Yay I guess? Idk it's only $10 so you get what you pay for. But I agree with you Black Squirrel I don't care for the cast either.

6. Jason

Jason

I mean we're close with modding.
    http://youtu.be/FOAo69312sc

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's closer but you need more than a reskin I reckon. The presentation is still rooted in 1992, with each member of the cast making a small number of noises and couple of animations to convey happy or sad - I just feel like we could have a more immersive experience in 2019.

8. Powpuck

Powpuck

9. Jason

Jason

You won't find too many puzzle games with high production values. Only one I can think of lately is Tetris Effect. It's generally not a priority in the genre.

10. Hukos

Hukos

There is this:
    https://puyonexus.com/wiki/How_to_Play_Puyo_Puyo

Still doesn't make it any easier though :v:

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Hum, the problem I have with this game isn't the lack of Tetris (it's understandable since it will probably be a one time only spinoff), it's the lack of rules and playable characters. This game has Tsu mode, Fever mode, and that's it.
    what about Sun? Mission Puyo? And so many cool characters are absent from the roster, it's just lame.

I'll probably pick it up because this will be the main multiplayer puyo game for a while, but I still think they can do better.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean it's called Puyo Puyo eSports in Japan, the focus is solely on competitive play so it makes sense that a lot of the features were cut out. But it's only $10 so it's not like it breaks the bank.

13. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    You'd be surprised how upset Puyo Puyo players have been with the online play for Puyo Puyo Tetris. Almost everyone who plays it play online play Tetris, and Puyo Puyo vs Tetris matches are heavily stacked against the Puyo players. A Puyo Puyo-only package seems more for them.

Plus it's so Sega can do tournaments without having to pay The Tetris Company royalties.

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I...didn't know about that. Why did they rename it ? E-sport is an English word to begin with.
    Well, since it's just a template for tournaments I guess it's not that bad. But now I'm salty that this is the game they chose to release worldwide instead of puyo puyo chronicles.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's a good question. Idk maybe because E-sports sounds kinda meme-ish internationally? But yea that name would have made total sense and I'm not 100% sure why they bothered changing it, although this one reminds me of when they renamed Sonic the Fighters to Sonic Championship in the US.

Good ol redundant, unnecessary changes :v:

16. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    So, the game came out today. Had a bunch of gold coins on my e-shop balance and figured I had nothing to lose.
    It's fun but I'm still miffed by the lack of playable characters. You'd though all the characters from Puyo Puyo Tetris would be present since this game seems to be a modded Puyo Tetris. Oh well.

I dig the UI though. Pretty similar to Puyo Tetris but they changed a few things here and there and it looks pretty damn cool. I always thought the UI was one of the most overlooked element in gaming; I can appreciate the devs making sure their menus look cool.

If any of you guys end up picking it up on switch, make sure to give me your friend code so we can play online together. The online seems pretty stable from what I've seen so far.

17. Jason

Jason

I bought it on PC. For a version not released in Japan, it sure has a lot of Japanese players eager to bury me in garbage. Lack of instructions on how to even play the modes is frustrating, because boy howdy I don't understand how Fever works. There's apparently an update in the works for some lessons, so maybe that will help. Otherwise, it's a pretty basic edition of Puyo for $10.

18. I liked the idea of a new standalone Puyo Puyo game, but... eh. I've never been crazy about the cast or whatever; I just want the gameplay without the voices and character animations. I'll skip out this time, but you all have fun with it.

19. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    All the new characters suck. But hey, really fuckin' solid $10 Puyo on PC with no Denuvo this time around? Fuck yeah.

20. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    Some of the new characters are actually old characters way back from the Compile days.
    Pretty cool to see them back, though I doubt they'll become regulars.