don't click here

Sonic 3 A.I.R. Release Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by 360, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    @sonicblur
    Ports for other platforms - Linux, Mac, Android - is something I'd really prefer to postpone for a while.
    - First because of the time I would have to invest here first. Even if just passing the code to someone else to do the work, as the current code is not really ready for that. In other words, it's a bit of a mess I'm going to clean up over time. The whole thing is just too much in a constant flow of change right now.
    - Second because any new platform has to be maintained with their own builds of updates. And tech support. The later is kind of problem now already, I don't want to imagine having to take care of more platforms than just Windows.

So I think it's the best if I first complete the game itself, make it fully work on Windows, get rid of the technical problems. And then start porting for Linux and/or Android. Or reaching out for someone else who can make and maintain ports.
    (Side note here: I don't own a Mac myself, so at least this port will definitely have to be made by another developer. Good to know you don't have the same problem. :) )

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I encountered a sorta glitch in LBZ Act 1. There's a section early on where you go in one of those elevator tubes and are put out by a lift. If you for whatever reason jump out of the lift you're trapped there. In the original game if you moved far right enough the lift would come back but due to the widescreen the lift is never far off screen enough to come back. Here's hopefully a recording of it

LBZ Act 1 glitch

Also not a glitch but a sprite oversight from the original game, Sonic's vertical rotating tube sprites used in CNZ Act 1 and AIZ Act 1 still use the Sonic 2 sprites as opposed to the horizontal rotating ones that are actually Sonic 3 sprites. Another thing I'm not sure is a glitch involves the drop dash while Super. It can destroy things on screen and trigger a bonus stage just like the Hyper dash and when Knuckles hits a wall.

EDIT: Curious. Do you plan on bringing over some of the features from Sonic 3 Complete like the Knuckles and Tails intros in AIZ and using the Sonic & Knuckles intro as an inbetween cutscene between LBZ and MHZ?

EDIT 2: Feature suggestion. Maybe an option to skip the credits somehow?

3. Vangar

Vangar

First off, this is a great mod(?)! Widescreen works great. Superb work!

Am I doing something wrong with tails though? Tails seems super aggressive compared to the original game. (Playing as Sonic & Tails)

- If you bounce on the AIZ 2 boss right at the start, Tails follows and keeps bouncing on him and kills him, before he runs away after the bridge is burnt (best way i can describe it sorry)
    - Tails will follow too closely and jump too soon after your jump, causing all kinds of strife like setting off triggers, killing enemies you wanted to bounce on, taking your air bubbles. If the flight is set to on, he'll sometimes grab you in flight mode too eagerly. It makes Marble Garden boss far harder.
    - He'll jump on some (not all) carnival night barrels while your pressing up and down preventing them from going all the way down/up.

General nuisance during gameplay but i haven't noticed anyone else mention this yet? Am I doing something wrong?

Happens on both my laptops running windows 10, Using an Xbox 360 controller.

4. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    @Vangar

You probably have to change some setting in the Options -> Gameplay -> Tails Assist section before playing a game. Probably change it to "Sonic 3 Style" and you should see Tails act the familiar way as in the Genesis game.

[hr]
    EDIT (2019-Apr-16):

Recently, I've been replacing music from Sonic 3 A.I.R. with custom remixes that I collected online from the years. I'd like to share some of the music that I'm using in the game. You can check out my SoundCloud account here by clicking the image below. It's incomplete, there's lots more music I have to find to recommend for replacing the soundtrack with remixes.

Do you guys have choice music you modified in your game?

[hr]
    EDIT (2019-Apr-29):

So the track selections are practically complete. There are a few pieces still missing, but the majority of the soundtrack have replacements available from me here:

[​IMG]

5. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I was actually thinking of redoing the soundtrack based on the S&KC MIDIs but I kind of ran out of steam after getting frustrated by how Marble Garden Zone turned out (particularly act 2). I posted some WIP previews of the songs on Twitter, for those interested:

Angel Island Act 1: https://twitter.com/BlazeHedgehog/status/1116565623666958339
    Hydrocity Act 1: https://twitter.com/BlazeHedgehog/status/1116936022019850241
    Marble Garden Act 1: https://twitter.com/BlazeHedgehog/status/1117039559156666369

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think the problem with "remaking" the music from Sonic 3 is that a lot of the tunes are composed with fancy waveforms rather than real-world instruments. It's a difficult thing to "upgrade" - the final product is more-or-less what it was meant to sound like from the beginning.

The best you can do, as is the case with the the Taxman versions of Sonic 1 and 2, is to use "cleaner" versions of the instruments and samples, which is what the default soundtrack here seems to do in a lot of places. Still, huge possibilities for Launch Base Zone if you could get a clearer version of the "Go!" sample (which you can - I've heard it).

7. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Tried that and yes, that's a soft-lock. I took a note, but it looks like that will get kind of tricky to solve.

I guess, I'll leave this to sprite modders. My talent doing sprite work is, erm, quite limited.

That one is fixed in the next update.

Some of the S3C features will certainly get added, but not all of them.

Right, this is definitely missing.

AI Tails is only slightly changed for S3AIR, he reacts a bit faster as you mentioned, and the grab logic is modified to work better with Tails Assist. And both could need some more tuning...

8. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    !!! :)

Closer you can get to feature parity with Complete the better if I'm being honest - as in adding its best features to make AIR the ultimate and definitive version (which it virtually is by the way, your work is beyond excellent and you made a tonne of people happy developing this). Please consider the prototype Flying Battery placement. I know you're not a fan of that but it'd be lovely to see in the game.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Maybe the lift could be replaced by one of the elevator tubes? They basically serve the same purpose.
    Some instances of vertical rotation sprites are actually the right ones I believe (the FBZ tubes seem to use the correct sprites in this case). So they exist, they'd just have to be called
    Awesome!

10. Fadaway

Fadaway

I am on a lengthy road trip, and my laptop is several states away right now. Holy hell, this looks great. I will play it eventually I'm sure. Shoulda brought my computer. From what I've seen, this is just near perfect. Because I can't currently play it, I have seen several YouTube videos. One YouTuber mentioned an oddity with the music after the Knuckles fight. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it should play the S&K miniboss music for that, even if the rest uses S3 miniboss music. I saw that in a video, so don't kill me if it has already been addressed or isn't true; I'm seeing all this unfold on the sidelines while on a road trip. :P

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

You're not wrong at all, but it can still be a fun exercise

When it's not totally exhausting

12. Granville

Granville

US
    In my opinion, the best Sonic 3 & Knuckles music remixes are in the vein of Tee Lopes' Mania songs. A sort of mashup of old higher quality Genesis instrumentation and more modern samples. I've also heard mixes of tunes made by other people which sound pretty cool and similar to Tee Lopes style as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnpm1dwgfg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3db0ljH1qhE

13. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    Fantastic work! This project kind of came out of left field for me. I opened up Retro for my occasional lurk, and found out that someone basically re-ported Sonic3K to PC all of a sudden. Lovely!

I have but one minor feature request. At the moment, although you can extract the game anywhere you want, it always writes to the user's AppData for saves and junk. This is fine since it's considered the 'best practice' to do that, but I would love it if I could easily run the game from a USB stick.

So, perhaps an option for it to write to the program's folder instead of AppData. One way could be to have a command-line argument.

Code (Text):
    1. Sonic3Air.exe --portable
    Alternatively, another thing I've seen done before is for the game to detect if a specially-named file exists in the program folder. So for example, if the file
    Code (Text):
    1. _PortableMode_
    exists alongside the .exe, it could enable portable mode.

14. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

I'm also really partial to Hunty's work

https://soundcloud.com/hunty/hydrocity-act-2-saturn-style
    https://soundcloud.com/hunty/launch-base-act-1-saturn-style
    https://soundcloud.com/hunty/flying-battery-act-1-saturn-style
    https://soundcloud.com/hunty/lava-reef-act-2-hidden-palace-saturn-style

I'm obsessed with that version of Launch Base.

15. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Without looking through 6 other pages, just in case no-one else has found this glitch:
    [​IMG]

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I also ran into that. Launch Base is just filled with path swap fuckery though so I didn't really think much of it.

17. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Oh yeah, Launch Base Zone. That looks like a good place to add yet another path swapper. :)

18. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Here's a first proper preview for the upcoming update.
    Why preview? Because I made lots of changes and didn't find time to test all aspects of the game, so this might include a few new bugs not present in the previous version, i.e. the full game release.

What to expect: Hardly any new features, this time it's all about bug fixes.
    Here's the more or less complete changelog. You may find some of the bugs reported here in this thread (thanks to everyone :) ) in the changelog, but I've still plenty of known issues to have a look at.

19. IrnBru

IrnBru

Played it tonight. Amazing. You basically just made my dreams come true.

20. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Holy shit, how have I been completely unaware of this for almost two weeks? Sonic 3 AIR is a god damn work of art! Finally I've got the perfect game to try out my new 8BitDo M30 controller, and it works like a charm. All I could possibly ask for is the Sonic 3 Complete zone order restoration option. It's probably my favorite thing in S3C, I love the Flying Battery nighttime palette and the transition into Icecap. Gonna be playing the shit out of this as is right now though, it's already more than I dared ever hope for.

I don't know what Sega's hangup is with Sonic 3 & Knuckles nowadays, but in any case I could not be happier to see this. Sonic fans are pretty fucking dope.