don't click here

Mega Drive / Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    If they're built to the same quailty the Retrobit recreations reportedly are, then I'll at least want the 3-button controllers. I'm suprised they're even using 3 button at all, considering the Mega Drive mini comes with 6 button ones. This begs the question: what games will use the 6 button layout on the Mega Drive mini that are not on the Genesis mini?

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Good to see Castlevania Bloodlines be part of the set. That games needs a fuckton more love. Good selection so far!

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wait till they announce that the European version will have PAL speed as a feature. :v:

5. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    So are they gonna reissue REV00 of Sonic 1 yet again? It'll be rather stupid if they do.

Too bad this won't be actual hardware like TecToy's reissue. What's the point if you can't play anything outside of its built-in library (short of modding it)?

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This reminds me, it would be awesome if they used Sonic 2's REV02 and we could finally get a real ROM dump of it.

7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Happy with the games announced for the NA/Europe release, especially the inclusion of Ecco The Dolphin. It's a shame Ecco wasn't included in the recent Mega Drive classics collection for current-gen consoles (which I think was due to a legal dispute regarding the IP-which are hopefully now resolved).

I'm a bit surprised they've chosen Sonic 1 for the NA/Europe release whilst opting for Sonic 2 for the Japanese line-up. SEGA Jp is doing a "one game from each IP" policy. Whether this also applies to the NA/Europe line-up is anyone's guess.

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    1991:

[​IMG]

2019:

[​IMG]

Nice.

9. Pengi

Pengi

The European version will have an RRP of £69.99/€79.99. Same release date/controllers/games (so far) as the American version: https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/1111968818203643904

There was a lawsuit, but I think that was settled before the release of Mega Drive Classics/Genesis Classics. Maybe they would have had to pay royalties? Since the Mini has third party games, they've budgeted for those kinds of expenses. The legal text at the bottom of the web page sheds a little bit of light on the matter:

It's a bit odd that only the Japanese version is getting the 6-button controllers, since Comix Zone makes use of it, and there's sure to be a fighting game included.

10. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    If Japan has any games that outright require the six button pads maybe that's where things changed?

If only they sold Model 2 Minis as well, that's the model I had back in the day, not the Model 1.

Maybe they'll sell the six button pads as an optional extra, or the upcoming RetroBit controllers might work as they're USB?

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Same, as toy-like as it was, I loved my Megadrive II.

I'd love if they actually started selling separate peripherals like pads and such, like SEGA getting a little revival of their console era. Hell why not make a Mega CD Mini so it doubles as a (now much cheaper) CD player? :P

12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I think I'm out since the Genesis Mini has Sonic 1 instead of Sonic 2.

Who the fuck made that decision?

13. ^ They're probably going with the "classic" moniker like how both Sony and Nintendo was going for. So it's understandable why there'd be Sonic 1 and 3 button controllers.

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sony's is shit and Nintendo put all three fucking games on theirs.

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    If every Sonic game sans S3K isn't on there, I'll be very surprised. 40 games people remember and want? All the Sonic, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Shinobi, and some more arcade ports will be on it. They're probably revealing them in different orders for each region to hype it. What will be surprising is what third-party games will be on it. Konami already has Bloodlines, Bandai Namco has a game I've never heard of in. What would Capcom have that's exclusive?

16. Pengi

Pengi

Sega of Japan tweeted that there would only be one game per series (they had a poll to choose Sonic 1/2, Shining Force 1/2, Puyo Puyo 1/2) for the Japanese version. This rule won't necessarily apply to the western versions though. Sonic is a bigger deal in the west, so I can see them including both Sonic 1 and 2, maybe even Spinball to cover the pinball genre.

Since we know Konami are playing ball, I'd really like to see Rocket Knight Adventures 1 and/or 2 make the cut. As for Capcom, Mega Man: The Wily Wars may not be the best entry in the series, or a game that defined the system, but it is a very rare and sought after game in a high profile series.

Shame there almost certainly won't be any Disney games.

17. Turbohog

Turbohog

I don't think I'll get it unless it has S3&K. That's still my favorite game. Plus I can play it on my real Genesis.

18. Powpuck

Powpuck

I'm sure Earthworm Jim is a given. And Pugsy would be welcome, though I'm not counting on it.

Just please, please have Marvel Land and Pulseman. I don't care if the latter was never localized; it's a goddamn platformer.

19. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Wonder if there's any chance of the original Mortal Kombat being included. It was pretty big on Genesis back in the day since that one had all the blood/gore in it and the SNES version didn't.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    MK1 on MD really is the inferior port regardless of the blood. Personally the MD Mini should just stick to games that are exclusive to that system.