don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Powpuck

Powpuck

An argument from incredulity is not worth anyone's time.

2. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    EDIT: The reason I'm so upset with you thinking "Bean" has some significant meaning when you found something related to a duck called a "Bean" is the fact that once Honey was discovered, because the tail and pigtails were not emulated by a glitch in the emulator at the time, people took the name "Honey" and gave it a bear context, and for the first few years of Honey's existence, she was a bear in the eyes of the community. Miscontrived fan speculation does not make facts, but it can make an interesting coincidence.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3ASoftwareEtc_US_Christmas1994_Catalogue.pdf&page=32

4. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    I wish I was a kid in the 90's again... such glorious times...

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    We had some slightly wonky scans of this before, but I've sourced a better version:

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File:DisneyAdventures_US_1992-11.pdf&page=63

The November 1992 issue of "Disney Adventures" briefly covers how video games are made at Sega of America. The magazine is aimed at little kids so it's not exactly a compelling read, but it does have some interesting photos.

Or at least, one interesting photo:

[​IMG]

It's Sonic the Hedgehog 2 CD.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I wish I knew where my Disney Adventures were. They is Sonic Adventure coverage down the line.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    We really ought to sort this out.

At E3 2000, Sega released a batch of screenshots for Sonic Adventure 2 (and a trailer). Our copies are terrible:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    What a choice - half resolution, or covered in IGN watermarks??

(the more eagle eyed will notice that they're actually both watermarked but shh don't tell anyone)

I feel like, with a bit of a push, we could do better. Can we do better?

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sonic's shadow is a carrot.

9. Burrobot

Burrobot

Hey guys, just noticed a little something in the Saturn version of Sonic R's menu screens and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Maybe someone's noticed already - most likely, in fact - but I haven't seen anything written about this little piece of trivia after a quick cursory search and I'm not sure where else to put it, so here we are:

We all know the 'R' at Sonic R's title screen can be manipulated, right? Well so can the rotating icons on the menu screen (such as the time attack stopwatch), as well as the character model currently displayed in the character select screen. By holding L or R down, you can zoom in or out on the current model displayed. Fun!

Again, sorry if it's been mentioned before (or indeed, is common knowledge and I'm unaware), just making sure it's out there.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

Guess they didn't get the message. Oops.

11. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    "Let's Get Blueballs!"

12. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    One step ahead of you, buddy.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

New Zealand.

Go fetch.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbcVIqarQv0

Prototype Sonic 3D Saturn footage. Not sure where it's from yet, but massive gaping holes in the special stage.

15. Pengi

Pengi

https://games.sega.com/survey/

Sega of America survey about various IPs, including Sonic. You can write in some answers, so if you want a Sonic Mania follow-up or a Sonic 3 & Knuckles remaster, let them know.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not only that but that is not the final special stage outro. In the final Sonic continues running after the emerald but here he flies away with it.

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Thanks for sharing this, I always like doing these. Think I'm gonna do it again today at work since I forgot to beg for a new Fantasy Zone lmao

18. Prototype

Prototype

It's weird that even circa '93, Sonic is still referred to as SegaSonic in Japan.

19. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It was a copyright thing. They didn't have the rights to use the name Sonic on merchandise:
    https://mdshock.com/2018/10/15/the-sega-vs-taito-trademark-dispute-why-sonic-was-rebranded-as-segasonic-in-japanese-arcades/

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

For your delectation - the third prototype screenshot we've collected that shows Clock Ork Zone had a broken level layout.

Of all the things they could have taken a photo of.

I think I've identified six(?) prototype builds of Sonic the Hedgehog that were shown to the public in some form:

Tokyo Toy Show 1990 (June 1990)
    Winter CES 1991 (January 1991)
    Green Hill Zone with dark blue water, Marble Zone with missing moving pillars (March/April 1991)
    The fun one with Sparkling Zone and Clock Ork (May/June 1991)
    RING and GHZ ball, but green flowers (June/July 1991)
    RINGS but a few things left to sort out (e.g. Spikes in Marble Zone) (July 1991)

as always, there could be more, but while you would expect (sometimes multiple) builds each working day during development, most would not leave the grounds of Sega and would likely be trashed within a week or two.