don't click here

Retro Fighters' Genesis/MD/Saturn & Dreamcast Controllers

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Candescence, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I'm legitimately surprised this hasn't been posted here.

Retro Fighters is a lesser-known controller-making outfit, but their stuff is apparently of really good quality. Their first controller was an NES-compatible dual-stick controller, which was neat, but, well, it was an NES controller. Their second controller, however, the Brawler64, is basically "what if we just made the N64 controller more modern and usable?" (I was perfectly fine with the original N64 controller, but this design is apparently the best N64 controller ever according to folks who've used it.)

And now they plan to release a Genesis/Mega Drive/Saturn controller that not only has all the functionality you ever want from such a controller, but also a more modern design.

[​IMG]

If nothing else, it looks pretty slick.

And lastly, Retro Fighters has a Kickstarter going on for their newest project, a modernised Dreamcast controller with full VMU and Vibration Pack functionality.

[​IMG]

I do love the look of these controllers, and from what I understand Retro Fighters does really good work. I might actually pick up the BrawlerGen controller myself.

2. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Would have liked the Dreamcast controller to have 6 face buttons myself, seeing as theres some great Capcom fighters on there including argubly the definitive version of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

3. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Damn, I like what I see! These guys ought to give 8Bitdo a run for their money, especially if they can nail the d-pads.

The Brawler64 looks fucking dope. Got to get one of those things as soon as I can.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's not a feature, it's a bug! :v:

5. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I want to know more about how the analog stick will work for Genesis games.

6. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    It's really just there for the Saturn functionality. The stick probably either doesn't work at all or works as a d-pad substitute (though why you would want to use it for Genesis games, I can't fathom).

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    The same reason Nintendo put a NES controller out with an analog stick, the NES Max?

[​IMG]

I'm sure there's some functionality for it.

8. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    There was an analog controller for the Mega Drive, the Dempa XE-1 AP, There are several games for the MD, MCD, and 32X compatible with it, such as the After Burner titles. If those games recognise it, that'd be kinda nice.

9. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    Actually, that's a modified controller. This is what the NES max originally looked like, it had a cycloid, not a stick. It's really just a really weird d-pad, and the outer black part was the only bit that actually functioned.

See, this one makes sense, considering there is actual games compatible with this one and it's supposed to emulate the HOTAS controls from the After Burner arcade cabinets. If it actually works for that, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If nobody tells them, they won't even know about it.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
  12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I really don't like the position of the START and MODE buttons. I think they should be switched to mimic the SHARE and OPTIONS buttons on the PS4 controller.

That said, their N64 controller is fantastic and I've backed their Dreamcast controller.