don't click here

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, May 25, 2018.

1. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    You guys may be right. Starting tomorrow, they are gonna release five new music tracks from Sonic Mania Adventures, all remixes. No doubt Big Arms is gonna be in there.

2. Pengi

Pengi

https://nintendoeverything.com/team-sonic-racing-reveals-doctors-mine-track/

From Famitsu: More info on Team Eggman and a new Planet Wisp track, Doctor's Mine.

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    In-game screenshots are nice, but last check the game wasn't running all that well. Are there any significant tweaks to the visuals anyone can point out?

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I see the trend of Famitsu quietly getting new scoops of new Sonic game news over everybody else continues unabated.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

In lieu of showing us an actual trailer for the game with tangible info and lots of footage, SEGA have released a so-called "making of" video for the soundtrack. There's a few snippets of gameplay in there, but it's mostly just clips of Jun Senoue looking super chill as he plays guitar.
    http://youtu.be/Wa6gaG1OrD0

Frozen Junkyard sounds really awesome, but I can't place my finger on the track at all. Am I a bad Sonic fan?

6. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Game will be good. Amen. Dear god, forgive me for talking bullshit on the internet. I promise I will listen to good music everyday and become a better person. *flies into freedom*

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think the game will be fine. Like literally just fine. It wont blow me away but itll be fun enough I think.

8. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I dunno, the fact that they keep emphasizing the soundtrack over the gameplay doesn't seem to bode well to me...

9. Nova

Nova

I'm still optimistic about the game. From what we've seen of the tracks, it seems like a pretty run racing game and I already liked ASRT a lot. I'm not hugely into Sega's more general output personally, so a chance for more of the same with just Sonic stuff is fine by me.

10. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I find that pretty cool actually. That's some respectable self-awareness.

11. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I feel like this game is a monkey's paw wish. I wanted a sequel to Transformed for a while. But then we get this and it's nothing that I wanted. I wanted more Sega characters and more fleshed out and polished mechanics. I'm not sure if this is what I want or if I'm even going to get it.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea this game is weird. On the one hand I don't mind the focus on one series as opposed to the other 2 games that were just "Hey here's level 1 of said series, a racer or 2 from said series, and items that come from nowhere despite having a lot of series to choose from." But on the other hand this game seems somewhat lazy? Idk. At least the soundtrack kicks ass, and they're bringing back locales that have not been done to death in the Sonic series (like the desert level featuring Sand Hill music and Sandopolis music, both songs which have never been remixed in the series history).

Honestly I'm mostly excited for this game because of the soundtrack, but the game looks ok. I think this will be a fun enough game with a kick ass soundtrack that'll be more fun than it seems. Too bad the CTR remake comes out like at the same time... that won't help.

13. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
  14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

You're really grasping at straws if you're going to talk about an obscure 25 year old remix album...

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Was that even really a remix album? They sound like demo versions given to the sound engineers to me.

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Almost everything about this game strikes me as a Sega executive's/Sega committee's vanity project, to be honest.

Like, of all the things people were asking for in a new Sumo racer (or a new Sonic racer game); I really doubt "ASR but it's Sonic only" was at the top of anybody's wishlist. Even the people who weren't fussed about the ASR games would likely had been expecting another Sonic racer that did something unique with the genre, like how the preceding Riders series and Sonic R did, instead of another kart racer. (And while I've beaten this idea into the ground already, I'll continue saying it--the racing genre is the perfect opportunity to spin off the Boost gameplay into a playstyle where it can actually play to its strengths, unlike the current approach of pushing them as platforming games.)

And hey, maybe they could had taken the concept and done something genuinely inspired by it, but the creative choices taken with the game's design feels anything but that. Maybe there was some potential with the main selling point of teamwork mechanics, but I'm seriously not seeing it within this game, and that seems to be the generic opinion from what I've seen. Every major design choice (character roster, track roster, powerups, car designs, powerups, art direction, etc.) feels like it's being done in accordance to corporate mandates. And the game is being made on a visibly tighter budget to boot; outside of the music, there's nothing noteworthy about the game's presentation otherwise.

The only real surprise this game will offer IMO is just how badly Sonic Racing's ass is literally beaten by Sonic's Ass Racing.

17. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Either you are very clever or serendipity strikes again.

Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled just dropped a ton of footage from a preview event which seems unanimous in "This game GUD". Even before that, they've been dropping screenshots regularly. Remake or not, it was built from the ground up so I think it's a fair comparison especially if Sumo Digital are recycling stuff from ASR games.

FYI Crash Bandicoot was known as "Sonic's Ass Game" during development.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Too be fair, there's only a limited number of ways of showing animals driving cars. Change up the scenery too many times and you'll start being hounded for spoiling half the game, and no doubt their original marketing schedule probably didn't factor in the delay.

But you are correct - if all they're willing to show is old music with a new coat of paint, it's difficult to care that much. Why are we recycling music anyway? All-Stars Racing was sort of a celebration of all things Sega, but this is... Sonic in cars. And Sonic's been in plenty of cars for some reason.

Mario is known for recycling ideas but even it bothers to produce new music for its kart racing games. And they're usually quite good too!

p.s. I think the lack of footage is also so they're not drawing too much attention to how little things have improved over Mario Kart Double Dash in 2003. There have been massive strides in physics and animation over the last 15 years - you wouldn't guess it looking at this.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd say it's a little different though. Mario Kart goes for unique locales and new music because it kind of has to (And even then the only game so far that has a unique song per track is Mario Kart 8, the other ones prior reused songs for different tracks). Most standard Mario levels have no identity. They're designed to fit a trope and more often than not the stages of that trope in the same game have the same music, where as many Sonic games have multiple songs for the same zone. Also Mario games rarely have music that gives a feeling of going fast as opposed to Sonic music which can easily translate over to a racing game.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    As in,

Mario Kart 64 didn't recycle any music from Super Mario Kart. Yes it recycled its own music for different tracks, but it was still an entirely new score (or as near as makes no difference).

Sonic Team Racing's soundtrack is comprised of "remember this?", and "how about this?", which is not a sign of confidence in its musicians.