don't click here

Sonic CD You Say!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    These are still on Final PPz, just on the past version.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Better than that - they're in every time zone except the present. And there's only like, three(?) of them on act 2 and extremely easy to miss. Case in point: I had missed them.

Gut instinct is Sega must have programmed these in early (they're one of the first objects selectable in debug mode), realised they're a bit pointless when you have springs, and began removing them when the layout was changed. The final game forces Sonic into a ball when they're used - that screenshot is consistent with the 510 prototype, which doesn't. There's also no sound attached, which seems a bit of an oversight.

3. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Are those bouncy sticks in the 2011 version? I feel like I've been told of them long ago but yeah, it's an object I never run across when I play CD, ever.

4. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Those "wobbly sticks" are still in the final build of the original game but are only found in the Past, Good Future, and Bad Future versions of Palmtree Panic and are more prevalent in Act 2. :) This is the build of Sonic CD that I am the most interested in and really wish that we can find. This may be the build that still has R2 in it as well. I think that this is the same build that also has the Palmtree Panic enemies in Collision Chaos, the weird different sparkles around Sonic when he's about to travel through time, the different color palette for Collision Chaos Bad Future, and possibly even the early removed Pinball Special Stage! I think that this build is possibly 2 or 3 months earlier than the 510 Beta that we currently have and it's filled with all kinds of great stuff! I really hope that we can find even more interesting things about this build of Sonic CD or even better yet actually find and obtain the actual build itself! :) I wonder if there was ever any mock up screenshots or prototype screenshots of R2 published in any early magazine coverage? I'd do anything just to see what the stage actually looked like. Even if it is just some concept art or a mock up screenshot of it I'll be happy.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

EDIT: Whoops! I had this tab open for a while and didn't realize that people had already responded! XD

They are found in the original vanilla Mega CD version of the game as well as the 2011 port version of the game. I'm really surprised that nobody has ever really noticed these things. I always come across them in my playthroughs. Then again, I do play Sonic CD a lot so that could also be why lol. They kind of act like springs do but are a little different. When you first bounce on them your bounce is low but the longer you jump on them the higher you will start to go. They can actually propel you really high into the air if you bounce on them long enough.

I don't think that they are completely pointless since they don't act exactly the same as springs do. I like them and think that they are an interesting gimmick even if they are kind of similar to how springs work.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3ADengekiMD_JP_01.pdf&page=45

Think this might be the original Japanese article.

6. The Negative Ion

The Negative Ion

Maybe the YOU SAY! had something to do with what it almost sounds like the VA is saying when you pass a "Future" signpost?

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe it was just a temporary object used for testing the voices.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    My best guess it's a Sonic CD equivalent to the "?" signposts you see in the 8-bit games:

[​IMG]

"what did you say?!"

An unusual, unexpected signpost result... except it's a really poor translation that doesn't make much sense. Perhaps, like the Game Gear titles, it was instead of giant rings (Sonic has 19 rings in that shot which wouldn't be enough, but the 510 prototype has giant rings in full view at all times, so it's not a stretch to say it's unfinished).

Alternatively it's there because they knew this was the only level playable at this point in the game's development, and it's an equally poorly translated comment to players - "this is what we've completed so far with CD Sonic the Hedgehog, what do you think?"

Or somebody set up us the bomb.

9. Almost makes me wonder just how "original" that "original version" is.

... Though it's also possible it was an error with the recoloring. Other Sega CD games did some daft things with colors if you let the wrong person handle it. Heck, even "well-done" Laserdisc ports like Road Avenger and Time Gal look ugly if you compare them to the arcade originals.

This incidentally also made me wonder why certain scenes in Sonic CD were arranged the way they were, particularly how there's some pans of Little Planet that aren't really in the "original" version, and why those were added when it'd probably have been better to stick to the pace of how the "original" looked and focused more on making the animation look smooth.

10. Vangar

Vangar

I always assumed the Mega CD version of the intro was a digitized version of the drawn one. it would make sense that they animated it traditionally and 'down scaled' it to sprites or whatever they needed to do. Its not really an FMV but more like a collection of sprites played back, correct?

The one we saw in the Windows 95 version would be the 'original' without digitization. Id guess a few frames were mis-colored during the digitization process.

11. Anyone taken a stab at translating this yet?

12. Frozen

Frozen

Italy, Rome
    https://sonicworldcollectors.wordpress.com/ cover database
    Nice one! And im sure we got this thanks to Samsung.

13. It looks to me like automatically converted animation sequences looked like crap in the hardware used during the early days of FMV, so they had to redraw the animations so they wouldn't look like a block/grainy mess. This was done even during the Saturn days.

The Windows 95 version was heavily compressed, and had a reduced frame rate too. The original is a regular cell-based animation at 24fps from back in the day, which was the standard for any anime on TV at the time.