don't click here

Cancelled SegaSonic game SegaSonic Bros. (1992) found

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Feb 4, 2016.

1. ... okay, I know people are feeling bad the ROM going around is not the proper preserved one or whatnot, but...
    The "why" to my question seems to have been danced around, rather than answered.

I think this is rather troubling, and the details could change my perspective on the entire narrative.

If the multi-game hack was not used in any of the expos, than clearly that was not what what it was for. In which case, why does it exist?
    Who made it, and for whom? And why is THAT the version that got in the hands of a leaker, as opposed to a "normal" watermark hack?

Am I seriously the only one who finds it suspect that this has a multigame hack at all to begin with?

2. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Oh it's very strange, but knowing how quiet some of the MAME team can be and how touchy this game was to begin with, I don't expect any public details any time soon. That's fine, though. I'd like to know the details, but I'd also rather let them address this at their own pace.

3. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Totally not important question, but I've read somewhere that the red Sonic is called "Ketchup". Is it a name given by fans or is it in the game ? What about the others ?

4. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    It's RedHot Sonic, a hint to Red Hot Chilli Peppers, since Sonic loves chilli dogs.

5. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    I knew it!

6. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Its just a given name by the fans name. The yellow one is called Mustard by the fans too.

7. The condiment-based naming is amusing, but the only one I think can really stick is "Ketchup". ("Heh, heh, GEDDIT? CATCH UP? CATCH UP TO SANIC? HUR HUR HUR")

I'd probably suggest different puns for the others, like maybe "Lemon" (Hur hur he's yellow and a borked car haha AYE SO WITTY) or... yeah I give up on the white one.

8. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Since they're all brothers, this nomenclature makes no sense...

They are all at least Mr. "Hedgehog"s though.

:v:

9. Modern

Modern

what tu hecc is modern! Member
    Sorry chap, finals slipped in and Ive been swamped in studying, however I did rip the first one for you:
    [​IMG]

10. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonese and Blueberry jelly.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    So wait, it's an altered copy then and not the original? what makes it different from the original other then being modified to work on a multi game board?

Since 1991?! that's insane to think SEGA had pre-made music that far back they were just diving into whenever they needed it.

12. Prototype

Prototype

Now what I wonder is whether SEGA just commissioned a shit-ton of music tracks to potentially use one day, or whether they were commissioned for a specific game or games that never ended up being released. I wonder what other goodies are in the metaphorical SEGA vaults?

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    My guess is that there's no other changes.

I think it may be the former.

This vault of pre-existant music could be what was just credited as "SEGA Sound Team" (later known as Wave Master?) and could help explain why:

-SegaSonic Bros shares some music with Sonic 3, the Japanese Sega Channel and that late Mega Drive baseball game.
    -Sonic 3D Blast has that one hidden music track which wasn't used until Sonic 4.
    -Sonic Adventure shares some music with Sonic 3D Blast MD.
    -Billy Hatcher shares some music with Chaotix.

I suspect that we may have heard more of these old tracks in relatively recent games like Sonic 4 but, of course, there's really no way to know unless we keep finding them inside the ROMs...

14. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    I thought this one was already explained We know who wrote each 3D Blast song, and only Senoue's music was reused for Adventure. I recall reading (though cannot find a proper source)* that he did this because the 3D Blast already wasn't a huge seller, and the game never got a Mega Drive release in Japan, so reusing these songs was a chance for them to reach a wider audience.

*I was able to find it on Wikia, and they even cite a source, but it goes to a removed YouTube video.

15. Pengi

Pengi

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwvoSPbY4E4&t=12m50s

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Actually... I don't think that what he says conflicts with the existance of a music vault but yeah, it could of course be unrelated.

EDIT: Is there seriously a word filter that changes "could of course" to "could have course"? Grammar police fail much? =P

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think it's more of a case of "I've got some music on floppy disks that were never put in a game - would you like to use them".

Sega had in-house musicians - you've got to give them something to do. They're probably producing surplus music which could then be recycled at a later date.

"I need some music for my puzzle game"

"Here's three examples, which do you like the best"

"The second"

(the other two get put on a shelf)

18. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I had a thought about this the other day. Would this idea of a pool of unused music explain the use of the same tune in Sonic CD's intro and Sonic 2 8-bit's Green Hills Zone? Is there a deliberate connection between the two games, or did both developers just happen to pick the same piece of unused music?

19. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I am very surprised about the Blue Spheres theme, not for the fact that the music is reused, but the fact that the instruments are virtually the same.

I was expecting it to be the same tune but older/blander instruments, especially considering the rest of the games music appears to sound like those tunes with crappy instruments from Mega Drive/Arcade games around the 1989/1990, it certainly stands out which is what shocked me.

20. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    In that case the two songs were by the same composer, so I don't think so.