don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean that's true too, and very sad. I never said they treated the property right though :v: The past 2 years of Sonic have been the most wildly inconsistent I think I've ever seen, but at least we got a good game out of it (Mania).

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    We need to get in contact with the studio, and Sega, and try to get them to cancel the movie. at the very least, contact Sega and let them know how damaging this movie could be.

3. Creature SH

Creature SH

You are not serious, are you?

4. No way, this HAS to be released

It is a gift from the gods, and should be selected for preservation in the National Film Registry

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    This will come out around my older brother's birthday, and he says he wants to see it with me as his birthday present to watch me suffer. Brothers are great.

Shit makes a great fertilizer, so I hope Marza gets a proper chance at this later on. Sonic can be good, but it seems anyone entrenched in Sega corporate and Hollywood has no idea what to do with this guy. I had hoped Mania and Mania Adventures had sent a message. This project started before Mania, so the contrast will be a good object lesson.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think Mania was/will be a good lesson for Sega going forward, it's just been too soon to really see it's influence applied to anything yet.

But we at least have some of Mania's soundtrack composers working on music for the Sonic racing game so that's a good sign.

7. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Should be something to be proud of. It took a couple of Sonic fans to course-correct a franchise and save it from certain demise.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Eh hey as long as it gets the right results who cares how it happened :v:

But yes the Mania team should be very proud of what they did.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Hey guys, remember Sega-Sammy Holdings President Haruki Satomi's interview with CNBC earlier this year, which included discussions about Sonic and the movie in particular?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They've already finished shooting the film a few months ago, it's in post-production now.

Only thing fans can do is just watch the damage that ensues.

10. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    well then only thing I can suggest now is if the theader still has Ralph breaks the internet when this comes out, to go watch that for sonic instead.

Crazy to think that Sega thought Paramount was a good idea when they can't even get Star Trek right now.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    This movies coming out a year from now, so Ralph Breaks the Internet will definitely not be in theaters then.

12. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think the shame here is that we'd all have been happy and elated if they had made a CGI film in the style of say Unleashed's introduction - or you know just anything with some creative ethics and genuine heart and vision behind it. Sega really should have had more control over this. This turning out to be far worse than we expected even when we anticipated a car crash anyway is a bit soul-destroying. Only positive I can think of is that at least the games are on the right track given that a Mania successor seems inevitable at this point because of Mania's reception/sales and could even be announced next year.

So hopefully this film will just come and go and then we'll get a good game again to mitigate the damage. High Fidelity is also right. It's not worth getting upset about this.

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    These memes are giving me life. I saw one with classic sonic earlier (and holding a chili dog). Who are these animators and when are they going to make money for their talents??

15. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    So Ohshima and Naka left some interesting tweets. Also sorry if this has been posted.

First from Ohshima: "I hope everyone involved in this movie will be happy. For that, I also hope that Sonic fans will be happy together. I will support all Sonic." He did reply to one person that explained why we're upset and we want the best from Sonic. He responds saying that "I have no great power. The real savior is Mr. Iizuka. He is fighting alone." He did criticize the idea of making Sonic realistic earlier, but it's still interesting to see.

This is going by Google Translate, but this is what Naka said after looking at a Photoshopped picture: "This picture is good if it is a joke, but I am very anxious whether I can see a cool sonic from this silhouette. I want to see Sonic make a very cool figure of Hollywood quality."

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to Naka's tweet. I get that he's being respectful and all (same goes for Ohshima), but, wow.

16. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Damn son. Guess this is what happens when your job is secure with Square Enix and therefore you can say pretty much anything you want. No way in hell he'd say that if he was still with Sega.

These tweets haven't been posted yet and are new to the thread so thanks for sharing. Very interesting to see the reactions from people that were so close to Sonic.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Please note that when Naka is saying "This picture is good if it is a joke", he's actually talking about a joke picture based on the poster and not about the poster itself.

18. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I did consider that, as it would then make his comments much less severe, but I got a bit confused because he's directly referencing Paramount's official version right after.

Either way the gist of it is Sonic Team via current and ex-members all hate it - but it's interesting Naka in particular still has hope the fully revealed design could still be good.

19. corneliab

corneliab

My expectations for this thing were already super-low, but this is even worse than I could have ever imagined. I have so many questions.

20. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    It's clear Paramount just paid a large amount of money for the rights and didn't think things through pass that point. Not surprising as sitting on a movie IP is usually done to keep the competition from getting it.

I hope after this debacle that we get another Godzilla 98 situation where Toei was pissed at the "Misrepresentation" of their character that they made their own movie just to state, "No, that wasn't fucking Godzilla. The Americans were fucking wrong.AAASSSSSSS".

I'd like a Modern Sonic OVA honestly. We got solid Classic Sonic stuff between Mania Adventures and the OVA, besides it's clear Modern Sonic needs the help.