don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

So that early western lore made it past the Sonic Bible and early cartoon concepts and onto the official website.

I love how they even tried to explain the origin of Sonic's ability to curl up into a ball. No, it has nothing to do with the fact he's a hedgehog. A chicken invented the move by accident and inspired Sonic to copy it, of course :eng101:

And that's not even getting to the fact that they gave origins to abilities he doesn't have :v:

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah turns out we weren't looking hard enough:

https://info.sonicretro.org/Stay_Sonic

Sadly our wiki's a bit of a mess when it comes to the animal buddies... or indeed much of the Western lore. Pecky is a penguin. What a page.

Something to think about. Or a task for the weekend. Or both.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I would also like to take this moment to appreciate Stay Sonic and it's... things.

[​IMG]

The pink liquid in Chemical Plant Zone - "megamalatricarboSonichloride".

[​IMG]

Oil Ocean Zone was constructed by aliens, and Dr. Kintobor took them to court and won.

They're having a laugh, surely.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well, aliens wouldn't exactly be unknown to the Western canon. Even putting StC aside, Kintobor himself was established as a human whose spaceship crashed irreparably on Mobius.

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    So as I understand it, Bean is Bin's offspring, but is Pecky Pengo's kid???

7. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    So I recently bought this:

[​IMG]

http://info.sonicretro.org/They_Call_Me_Sonic

Basically bought it in the hope to get the original "music video" file mentioned on the wikis around here. This video:

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_nNMrbojqg[/media]

Unfortunately, it wasn't on the disc! Neither the 'Comix Zone' demo supposedly on it.

Does anyone have the original video file? Or know the differences between the versions? I just want a copy of the video that hasn't been touched, so I can get the clearest version of it that hasn't been touched by Youtube compression :P

8. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Here's a minor tidbit I wonder if anyone remembers.

Who here remembers first getting Sonic 3 back in 1994? I distinctly remember when I got it for Christmas that year and it had a silver sticker tab at either the top or bottom of the case that you had to break in order to even open it. Thing is though, I've looked at sealed copies on eBay and I don't ever see this silver sticker anywhere. I can remember it was a pain in the ass to remove and it left residue on the case afterward. I'll have to take a pic just to prove I'm not making this up if no one else chimes in.

Anyone else remember that silver sticker?

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    NPD analyst Mat Piscatella shared some some lists of the top 10 best-selling games for certain retro consoles in the US, ranked in dollar sales (there's also a thread about this topic on ResetERA). The consoles covered are the original PlayStation, Nintendo 64, Game Boy Color, the Sega Saturn, and the Sega Dreamcast.

Sega Saturn:

[​IMG]

Sega Dreamcast:

[​IMG]

For those who can't see the images, Sonic 3D Blast is at #8 on the Saturn list, while Sonic Adventure is at #3 on the Dreamcast list (outsold by NFL 2K and NFL 2K1). (Regarding non-Sonic games by Sonic Team, Nights is at #2 on the Saturn list, beaten only by Madden NFL 97.)

(For rival mascot comparison's sake--Super Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot each topped the list for their respective consoles. Really makes you think...)

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It's not amazingly surprising given the amount of fuss that was made over NFL 2K. Word on the street is that it was genuinely the best American football game on the market at the time. As in, a clear generation ahead of its competitors in 1999 and a genuine selling point that moved consoles.

(they pushed sports in North America - not so much in Europe because Sega never really caught up EA or Konami when it came to football games)

There is something odd about Madden NFL 97 topping the Saturn list though. I feel like I should look into that (and how it's so much better than Sega's offering), but I'm really not qualified to talk about the sport. Maybe it's because US Saturn game sales were just low across the board. Dunno.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Uninteresting but undocumented Sonic 2 prototype screenshot of the day:

[​IMG]

Standing on things confirmed.

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yuzo Koshiro's Jungle Zone Mega Drive version(s): Here

I'm drooling at the idea of the whole GG Sonic soundtrack existing in Mega Drive format.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I have a (possibly) stupid question that I can't find a proven answer to: Do we know if Takumi Miyake is a man or a woman?

Asking because it's kinda relevant for writing texts in other languages than English.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    iirc Takumi is a male name.

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I've personally only ever met male Takumis but it can be a girl's name too. The writer behind Tales of Symphonia is a girl named Takumi, for example.

16. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I've got a question about the SCD JP boss theme. What are the lyrics? "Work that sucker to death" is well known ofc, but there's one line that sounds to me like "get your fucking sand towel". What is he really saying?

17. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    lmao so I'm not the only one who hears that line that way, good to know

This is the best attempt I've ever seen at making sense of those lyrics: http://www.animelyrics.com/game/soniccd/boss.htm

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Uninteresting but undocumented Sonic X-treme prototype footage of the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_gsgWzGhA

It's a whole one or two seconds at about 21:05.

Lots of prototype NiGHTS footage if you're into that sort of thing though. The Ideya Captures are different, as are the arrows telling where the kids need to go.

(the music they're using is from Johnny Bazookatone. That's some childhood knowledge I never thought I'd ever get to use)

19. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-gHjGfAZag[/youtube]

Hey, Retro. Uploaded a better, digitized video of the Japanese Sonic 2 commercial that was featured in a V-Jump 1993 Premium Video tape. Enjoy.

20. Stink Terios

Stink Terios