don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Oh fuck. Sorry for the misreporting everyone. This was reported everywhere as Jim Carrey as Robotnik. Even on ResetERA. Well thank fuck for that. It'd be the most uninspired design of Robotnik ever if it was real. Hopefully when we truly do see Jim as Robotnik he'll be in much more faithful form to the source material - and actually look like Robotnik.

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Finding out that Tika Sumpter is in it just made this worthwhile! I remember her waaaaaaaaay back on One Life To Live. She is fadulous and this movie better not tarnish her career!

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh thank fuck

4. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    If this movie is supposed to have such a big budget, and all we've seen and know about appears to be a tiny budget, then what on Earth are they wasting all their money on?
    I just don't want the whole film to be based in this seriously boring-looking Green Hills location.

5. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I presume the Marza-supplied CG for Sonic probably won't come cheap. IIRC I think it's been implied this will lean on the action, so that might also be an element.

Or maybe this Sonic movie is just a front for an elaborate laundering scheme in disguise :v:

As for the photo shoot, I guess we did jump the gun a bit on that being Eggman. Still pretty damn skeptical on how this movie is going to turn out though.

6. Time for a wild crackpot theory with almost no evidence: do you think this movie might be an "ashcan" movie? for those who don't know, when something's an "ashcan" its basically made so the studio can continue holding onto the rights. Most famously this was done with the Fantastic Four in the early 90's, a movie was made but wasn't released because it was a huge scam just to keep the rights. This is also why X-Men First Class and The Amazing Spider-Man exist, both franchises got rebooted in order to keep the rights from going back to Marvel, even though they weren't terrible they were still made solely to keep the rights from lapsing.

Something similar happened with Dragonball Evolution. 20th Century Fox bought the rights to Dragon Ball back in 2000, and since they hadn't done anything with the property its likely the rights would've lapsed thus costing Fox a ton of money. It was easier for them to make a $30 million box office bomb and extend their rights than it would be to let the rights lapse. This turned out to be profitable for them as Toei/Shueisha couldn't make Battle of Gods, Resurrection F, or the upcoming Broly movie without 20th Century Fox since they own the movie rights.

Back to Sonic, what do you think the agreement Sega made with the production company entailed? Sony was originally involved, but now it's Paramount who's behind it? Its likely that there's not much faith in the movie, especially since it changed hands so easily before production started. Maybe the movie's only being produced to fulfill obligations. Sega's involvement seems to be limited, judging by the town being Green Hills and taking place in what looks like a small Rocky Mountain town rather than a tropical island. Its all just really weird to me, this movie has to be some sort of money laundering scheme. You would think a movie studio would recognize Sonic as the perfect cgi action movie like Big Hero 6, making him into Yogi Bear just feels weird.

7. Could be wrong but I just think it's just a case of the project going to a team not creative or skilled enough to do the Sonic brand justice. How this happened I don't really know, but with all the info we have it's painfully obvious that this is going to be embarrassing. Sony does have a rather good nack of pumping out shit films.

8. XCubed

XCubed

Speaking of which....what ever happened to that fan film project? You know, the one where they actually got Jaleel White to participate? I mean, that looked a lot more promising than this. Seems like another case of "Fans Do It Better." We need a Mania-type (as in the way Sonic Mania came to fruition) project to happen on the Silver Screen!

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Based on the confirmed and rumored evidence floating around, the reason it's taken so long for the film's production to get going was due to studio politics at Sony. The film was announced just before the studio management shakeup caused by the cyber attack/email leaks. Expected disagreements with Sony management (from both former management Amy Pascal and current management Tom Rothman because of course) also ensued. Apparently the final straw for the production company that prompted them to go to Paramount happened when Sony --during their box office bomb streak of 2016-- sent the film into turnaround just when things were finally about to take off in late 2016.

10. It came out in January 2013, keep ur peepers open during the credits and you might see my name under set construction

11. XCubed

XCubed

Oh wow! Thanks! I actually DID see this back then...whoops! I was left wanting more....and still do!

12. Linkabel

Linkabel

Lee Majdoub has joined the cast as Agent Stone which seems to be working along Eggman.

https://deadline.com/2018/09/david-zayas-paramount-body-cam-sonic-the-hedgehog-lee-majdoub-1202467823/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

13. RDNexus

RDNexus

I'm really not seeing much good coming out of this movie... :(

14. Prototype

Prototype

I don't have any high hopes for this movie, and all I see coming of it is further fragmentation of the brand and Sonic's identity. It'll make a bit of money purely because the diehard Sonic fans will see it, and plenty of people will see it just to see how it fails, but I can't see this project resulting in any goodwill for the franchise, resulting in a product like Dragonball Evolution. Given the general lack of quality control for Sonic products, this might just be one of the dying gasps of the franchise. Best case scenario I see something like a stronger focus on the Sonic Mania Adventures kind of media immediately following the movie's advertisement cycle in the same way that Dragonball flourished again due to Toriyama's dislike of how they handled the property.

Frankly I'm a little surprised that they managed to get Jim Carrey for the Eggman role, which I think will be one of the only strong suits of the movie.

As Kail said, it's likely just an "ashcan" movie.

On an "observer" level, it's fascinating how the series at present seems to be stuck in this "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" mindset, and that ironically the fact that everything's being thrown at the wall means that it'll damage whatever goodwill was generated by the one thing that did stick. From a company perspective (or rather an "out of touch company perspective") I can see why they've done this. I don't think SEGA or Sonic Team were actually prepared for the Mania projects to succeed as well as they did.

It's funny though that this is always what the series has done, going back to the various methods of adaptation, like AoSTH and SatAM, except I imagine it's less tolerated now simply because Sonic is no longer the media darling he was in the early '90s.

All I can ask is that they don't follow the trend of awful CGI/Real World movies and release "Sonic The Hedgehog: The Movie: The Game".

15. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    My friend from Paramount said he got some more script leaks. I'm trying to get him to send them to me. I'll post them here once I get them. If he's not lying, there's some pretty interesting stuff about Tails and Officer Burpo...

16. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I got ahold of a couple pages. These appear to be the post credits scene, so DON'T CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Boy I really hope that's a shitpost

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Can "Everything is Awesome" play after those last few lines, like when the production company logos show up? It'll be more epic that way. Tell your friend to sneak that in. In neon green ink. No one will notice.

19. Prototype

Prototype

Hahahaha. That is all I have to say.

20. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I laughed out loud at:

Sonic just randomly crashing the police cruiser in to a tree.

That was hilarious.

Other than that it's clearly just people making fun of the movie again. Who can blame them when this shit's so ridiculous. It's a Sonic movie in 2019 headlined by Jim Carrey with a story that only a Paramount executive would delusionally think is good. I mean I could be wrong and this could be an emotional, heart warming story in the vein of ET like they're shooting for - but that doesn't seem likely.