don't click here

Rare Sonic Art (And restoring it)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JackSkellinghog, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I like how both Sonic and Bowie from Shining Force are adjusting their gloves in that leafet's cover :v:

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    shoes, crica 1995

[​IMG]

https://picclick.com/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-Sega-Genesis-Empty-Shoe-Box-162396162731.html

3. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Recently I have acquired an old 1993 Japanese magazine called Famicom Tsushin that features some coverage for Sonic CD! It has a mini guide book for playing the game with hand drawn level maps of Palmtree Panic, really nice and very 90s typography and graphic design, some information about the game, and the best of all a very rare and hard to find post card! The post card is very rare lost art that I've spent nearly a decade trying to find in good quality and I am so happy that I have finally found it and was able to scan it in good quality.

This rare artwork was featured in a lot of old magazines and flyers back during Sonic CD's development but was always either very small, cropped, or had screenshots and text blocking it. It was always so hard to find this picture and I never thought that I would ever locate it until now. What's interesting too is that the post card is actually a scratch and sniff post card! If you scratch and sniff Amy's bangs she smells like citrus. :) I have already scanned all of the pages that feature Sonic CD but I am still in the process of cleaning up the scans but I figured that I would show this post card early first because I'm just too excited not to lol. I am very happy to present to everyone this once lost artwork that is finally being seen in good quality for the first time!

[​IMG]

4. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Wow, you're bringing me back! I got those for my birthday when I was like 7 years old!! They're not shoes, but slippers btw. I looked and found this pic of them.

[​IMG]

I may still have them underneath my bed as I type, all worn out and filthy from ages and ages ago.... Man, where does the time go.

5. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    @SonicGenesis89 - That's awesome. You rock!

6. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    @SonicGenesis89

Love the Sonic CD art, glad to finally have a better scan of that image.

7. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
    As a kid at school I covered my books with some Sonic styled contact paper. This was one of the bits of art on it, along with something very Spinball cover esque.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wasn't the side artwork used in an actual real life pinball a redemption game as well?

EDIT: Nope, not the same.

EDIT 2: Hey, I never knew that SEGA had used the "Sonic looking" artwork in Europe:
    [​IMG]
    https://picclick.com/Sega-Genesis-Mega-Drive-Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Rare-273467953554.html

Looks a bit weird without noodle arms, though.

For reference:
    [​IMG]

9. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    Thank you for this! I've wanted a decent version of this artwork for so long!

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my, I had missed that post for some reason. Thank you for sharing that amazing scan, SonicGenesis89!

So what's on the other side, anyway?

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

Fun fact: this Coca-Cola Game Gear might pre-date the actual Coca-Cola Game Gear.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That is some stanky ass looking Classic Sonic. His stomach is massive.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Gas. :v:

14. It does not look that bad, but his face format and stomach are kinda wierd.

If thats true, them Coca Cola made the best prizes ever(the handy colored yo-yo, the little aliens, etc).

15. Linkabel

Linkabel

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh my god, thank you for that awesome scan! Never seen that art before.

17. Pengi

Pengi

That's a really great scan! Nice one Casshern!

Naoto Ohshima posted the original sketch (and two alternate versions) on Twitter last year: https://twitter.com/NaotoOhshima/status/858246760682053632

The one where the car has a face is by Ohshima, but it's not entirely clear which one is by Yasushi Yamaguchi (Judy Totoya) and which is by Takumi Miyake.

18. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Man, it's weird seeing good-looking art in this thread.

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd say that Yamaguchi's might be the second one:

(Source)

Also, judging by his "See you next game" hidden illustration in Sonic CD, he seemed to draw Tails's eyes a bit bigger than in the official model sheet... and the used perspective for both cars is kinda similar, too.

20. Speeps

Speeps

Loving the efforts being made on the wiki to replace fan recreations of artwork with official versions, particularly SA2 and Sonic Battle's. Not that recreations are bad, but a wiki should have the best available official version for preservation purposes.

This one is in that crappy anniversary art book. It should be legit judging from the nose.