don't click here

Sega Ages (Nintendo Switch)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Mastered Realm, Sep 20, 2018.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'm intrigued by the fact they seem to be using the 32X version, likely for the specific reason it fits modern TV screen ratios.

The fact they leave out the 'Deluxe' moniker may suggest against it though.

EDIT: Scratch that. Looking closer it's not the 32X version, actually I'm struggling to grasp which one it is unless they managed to manually make it widescreen.

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Don't be - they're not :eng101:

3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah, looking again, you're right.

I dunno which one it is actually, unless it's a full on remake in this case.

4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    The arcade version has a 16:9 resolution mode

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Actually I'm curious. Has Sega ever rereleased a 32X game (or a Sega CD game for that matter with the exception of Sonic CD)?

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think Knuckles Chaotix was once released on an online distributor or something.

7. Hukos

Hukos

I don't believe so. Even the Lunar games (in their Sega-CD incarnations) have never been re-released, and those were fairly popular in Japan if I recall correctly.

I still want my Snatcher port :colbert:

8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Yeah, it was available through the now defunct GameTap on demand PC platform. Pretty much the only instance I can think of, but never properly re-released.

9. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Chaotix was on Gametap for a while.

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I can only think of Panic! (Switch) on PS2

11. Hukos

Hukos

Sega AGES will likely just comprise of a lot of Genesis ports, which is all fine and dandy - but Saturn/Dreamcast games have been mentioned as being a possibility. So that begs the question, what are the most likely games from those consoles?

The Dreamcast's library is really Sega 1st party, Shoot 'em ups and Visual Novels, so figuring out what would make it on the DC isn't too hard. The Sonic Adventures, Shenmues, etc. There are some gems, but overall I'm not too huge on the Dreamcast.

The Saturn is the interesting one because if Ages is really capable of Saturn emulation like they claim, that would make things like Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, etc. all technically possible, and although the release of those on Ages would probably be enough to send me over the edge in getting a Switch, I'm not holding my breath.

I also wonder since Gunstar Heroes was on that one 3DS collection that I think was handled by M2, does that mean Treasure's stuff is fair-game for Ages? A switch version of Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes and Silhouette Mirage would be pretty nice. Are developers that are friendly with Sega a possibility?

12. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Titles announced so far:

Arcade: 6
    Mega Drive: 3
    Master System: 2

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think people tend to disregard them because they're so often tied to the Genesis/Megadrive due to constant porting between the three systems.

It's like if they released the original arcade version of Golden Axe or the Saturn version of Sonic 3D Blast, it's still technically a Mega Drive game (arcade Golden Axe with the Mega Drive version's bells and whistles would be awesome though).

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I just feel like these collections just rerelease the same 10 games over and over again. Sega AGES for the most part seem to be the 3DS Sega Classics. There's a fair amount of overlap between these games and those on the Sega Genesis collection. Sega Forever also has overlap between this and the Sega Genesis collection. Then there are the superior versions of Sonic 1, 2, and CD made by Taxman, with 2 of those never actually released on a proper gaming system. And of course they're all handled by different people.

Like can this company get it's shit together when it comes to these sorts of things? They reinvent the wheel constantly, go back to starting off with Genesis games, interest dies because it's just the Genesis core again, then 3 years later they're back at it with a new rebrand. Rinse and repeat. Like at least start off with different games. Actually rerelease the Saturn games. Yes, not as many people owned the Saturn or the Sega CD or the 32X but that's all the more reason to port them over, because there are some good games there that no one played because their business model sucked between like 1993 and 1998. Like find a way to port over SegaSonic Arcade now that Mighty and Ray are back. Port Chaotix or the Saturn version of 3D Blast. Don't release 2 versions of Sonic 1 on the same console within 2 months of each other. Or start with the Dreamcast even, it's been a few years since those games have seen the light of day.

I will say though at least one of the cool things about Sega AGES ports is that if something was released initially on multiple platforms they seem to combine some of those features in the AGES rerelease. This actually almost gives me hope for S3K, as this seems to be the most likely version that would change any of the legally questionable music to that of the PC release if need be. This also gives me hope that if they were ever to port over Sonic 3D Blast they'd find a way to include the Saturn music at the very least, even if they used the Genesis version as a base.

Also maybe they'd actually re port SA1 instead of using SADX as a base.

15. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I do admit to being surprised neither Sonic CD or R were on that list of fan votes. CD would have been especially fitting given it's 25th anniversary.

Though I suppose if S3+K are genuinely out of the question due to the recent ambiguous goings on, then they'll likely have to resort to using Sonic's more obscure titles in time. They've already started on the first two main titles near instantly.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wouldn't mind seeing a Sonic R re-release. I would just hope that they'd find a way to fix some of the games AI issues (at least in the version used in Gems Collection the characters get very confused in Reactive Factory).

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    I'm betting they don't even have the source code for the Dreamcast version(s) of SA1/SA2 anymore.

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Saturn and Dreamcast sold around 10 million each worldwide. Master System sold around 20 million. Genesis sold 40 million. There's just more to work from in terms of catalogue and nostalgia audience to start there.

19. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It's hard to say. They added features to Sonic 1 but kept the standard game as is for the large part, glitches and all, implying they'll add new stuff so long as it's totally optional and doesn't interfere with the original experience. The only exception was the PAL version being optimised for a change (meaning no slow music).

That would imply all the faults in R would be maintained though they might loophole around it with a 'Hard Mode' option or something.

Truthfully I wouldn't mind a Reverse Grand Prix/Versus option to make up for the lack of tracks.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ The Reverse Grand Prix option would be a great addition. Actually I think that and a relay mode of sorts were planned but cancelled for some reason, likely time constraints. At least I think that's what was said on that GameHut youtube page (Maybe they could get in contact with him even for advice?). Sonic R actually does have a Hard mode, it just comes down to some versions of the game having wonkier AI than others. The Gems collection port seems to be the most broken AI wise, the Saturn and later PC versions seem better in that regard.

Of course but when you get to the point of having the same 25+ year old game rereleased 2 or 3 times within the span of 3 months it all starts to look kind of silly.

And if that's the case for SA1 they should get in contact with the guys behind the Dreamcast conversion and the lantern engine :v: