don't click here

Sonic Classic 2

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jul 21, 2011.

1. How about instead of new characters, you unlock a set of reskins for the existing characters? Like, if I beat the Secret Act for the first Zone, I unlock the option to still play as Sonic with no new abilities, but now he's either using Modern-style graphics like Sonic Advance, or 8-bit Master System/Game Gear/Pocket Adventure graphics. That way, each secret character can have optional unlockable skins as well.

Hell, if you set up the tilesets correctly and have a single option that loads a different tileset that's organized identically, you could even go so far as to have reskins for entire Zones or Acts. Imagine getting to play Time Trials of the first Zone, but you're playing with an 8-bit Sonic and the Zone's been reskinned to look like it's from the Master System. The Zone's and character is still identical, but it looks completely different. Of course, going that far, if there isn't an easy way to swap the tileset, would be way too much work. Manually doing it would end up being like building the whole game all over again. If you could pull it off, it'd be like playing Super Mario Bros. Crossover, only in a Sonic engine.

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I guess, without giving away too much, I should mention that there are a lot of unlockables that are achieved by other means. Sonic's skins, hyper emeralds, etc. I'm looking for some reward that is better than a skin, or a play-through setting (e.g. flipped level mode, flooded levels, etc).

Correct -- super sonic is unlocked by normal special stage means. Hyper Sonic is an unlock-able mode via beating challenges. Unlike before, I'm thinking it will unlock hyper rings and 7 additional special stages. We'll see with the time frame I've set for myself.

I wouldn't be opposed to a secret level. Maybe having 3 long acts. As it sits now, the hidden acts that are unlocked are intentionally made to be very difficult and frustrating, but beatable. Sort of a fun challenge.

Its accomplished by other means.

That would take a lot of reworking. I wouldn't be opposed to "for fun" skins. Like a Sonic Master System Skin.

3. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    If things like skins are reserved for other places of the game, how about making the reward for beating all secret acts be either an alternate ending or a bonus boss battle after the final boss? (Or even both, assuming you successfuly beat the bonus boss.)

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I'd suggest unlocking the secret acts in level order instead of unlocking the one linked to the red rings collected, and make that set of acts a side story with an specific character that wouldn't play the standard game, not to have a new playstyle, but just for the sake of intertwining both paths for a deeper plot. You could later unlock the extra character in the main game and the standard characters in the sidequest by beating it completely. A bit like that game world for the emeralds in Sonic Colors, but, you know, actually fun.

5. Noah Copeland

Noah Copeland

The most obvious reward for beating secret acts would be a new character. But it's hard to say who that would be since I imagine you've already got some of those planned.

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    This video was originally just meant for the discord channel, but since its been a long time since an update, heres a video. Mind you that I didn't bother to avoid glitches. This is just strictly to show you progress. I'm aware of a lot of the bugs, however still point out any you see. I want this polished af.

https://youtu.be/-1VKsGAaEJo

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Nothing special to say other than it looks promising. I'm still amazed by the sheer amount of content this game appears to have.

8. TizerisT

TizerisT

Pending Member
    Good job mate....Will there be any graphics filters in this? Or reshade compatibility?

9. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    There's an option to turn on aliasing. I have also played around with some scan-line options. I'll probably leave those in as options to play as.

10. Nintorch

Nintorch

Just another programmer. Member
    There are a lot actually..
    I played SC 1 somewhen in the past and got through it, I liked it, when I saw some SC 2 vids, I really wanted to play it. It's great, Hez. Good job. I can't wait to play a full release.:thumbsup:

11. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

I'm with JustMe.

12. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Good to hear you guys liked SC1. SC2 will have revamped SC1 levels included. I feel like I owe it to everyone.

I guess while I'm at it, I can give an update. All Sonic Classic 2 level layouts have been completed. More bug testing and beta testing is happening at this time. Shout out to beta testers for doing amazing jobs! Sonic 2 levels have ring/monitor layouts ported. As well as palettes and rotating palettes. Special stages are still a WIP. I'd love for ideas, because I hate what is there right now.

As always, feedback is welcome!

13. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I never really liked the special stages in classic 1 because you had a different objective for every one. The strict timer made it so you pretty much had to fail every special stage at least once in order to understand what you're supposed to do.I was so bad at these I never unlocked super sonic, lol.

I think you should focus on one gameplay style that progressively gets harder, like the classic games. As for ideas...I dunno how doable 3d gameplay is on whatever software you're using (mmf2 ?), but you can't go wrong with sonic running automatically and having to collect a set number of shit or something.

14. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Its a mix of "collect the blue spheres" and "SCD Mode7" currently. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. I'm exploring going down a Sonic 1 route, but I'd have to do some heavy re-coding for that.

15. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

Maybe you can trying the Special Stages used in Sonic Heroes. Innovate it with your own formula, and you got yourself something special.

16. Nintorch

Nintorch

Some offtop but meh.
    Do you want some funny thing?
    I have Sonic Classic 1 on a disc (really)

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I hope you didn't pay for it (Not that Classic 1 is a bad game, it's good, but yea selling fan games is a no no)

18. Nintorch

Nintorch

I paid for it, but there is a SEGA games too.
    I think i should end my offtop, but i want Hez to see it, heh.

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    You totally should not have paid for it. Do you recall where you got it from? Also it'd be interesting to see the disc.

20. Nintorch

Nintorch

Idk, It contains SC1 but it's not only game here. If ya want, here is a disk (sorry for russian lang, i'm from russia)
    It says "Sonic Antology part 3".
    In disk back you can see all games in it, with:
    "Sonic the hedgehog Classic. Game created by fan Hez for PC"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019