don't click here

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, May 25, 2018.

1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    So no-one's seen/mentioned this then yet?

I don't quite get how it can recieve an award before it's even finished being made!

https://www.facebook...1647639/?type=3

[​IMG]

2. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Was Forces supposed to be a budget title? It had 3 years of development time. They were teasing it way back in October 2015, so I assume that something must have happened that "forced" them to go back to the drawing board and miss the original release date. I'm guessing that when they reached the 3rd year, they probably decided to just get something out the door and made it a budget title to make it more acceptable.

With TSR, I get the impression that it was supposed to be a Christmas cash-in (i.e. something for Sega to cash in on the Christmas period when they don't have a main game). I'm guessing Sumo/whoever made the classic Sega mistake of being too ambitious. The AI of the team players sound like something that would be difficult to pull off and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where all the development time has been sunk.

3. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    "Best Casual Game" that in its current state is not suitable for filming. I'm all for Sonic games getting awards, but unless it was the only casual game there, I don't think it necessarily deserves the award.

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Four years of development time, Iizuka said it started development after Lost World's completion. The dev team is on record they spent the first year on the Hedgehog Engine 2, then Nakamura (game producer) worked on the project with a small team for the next two years, with the game spending its final year in "full production". A popular rumor going around (which was supported by an account about the game's production, initially posted by SSMB's Mayor D) is that reportedly the game was supposed to be about the Custom Hero rather than Sonic, but a 2015 presentation by ST/SoJ to SoA/SoE was received poorly and forced the former to make changes. It's also worth noting that --similar to Team Sonic Racing-- most of the designers / planner who worked on Sonic Forces are new staff (they were, however, under the direction of designers and a director who have worked on Sonic games dating back to Secret Rings).

And while Forces was a game that had over half of its content recycled from past titles and was released with a $40 budget price tag, Sega was pretty clearly pushing it as the major Sonic release of 2017. Mania was clearly made on a fraction of Forces budget and had the bigger marketing push (although the actual release of the game was hilariously quiet compared to Mania, whatnot with the cheaply put-together demo and Sega refusing to send advance copies to the press). It alongside Mania was pushed as an (indirect) tie-in to the series' 25th anniversary and --the Runners mobile game notwithstanding, and maybe Puyo Puyo Tetris if you count that-- was Sonic Team's first major release since Lost World.

5. Linkabel

Linkabel

This can't be the same demo from E3 since it has the new team and Ice Mountain track that were announced after the event so maybe that's why the flaws are more noticeable since they had such a small time to make a new one?

Though some were reporting the same problems with the E3 demo as well.

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Anyone got a link to this? I've seen it referred to several times, but never seen the original and it intrigues me. Thanks! ^_^

7. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Here you go:

(The original post on SSMB was hidden/removed at Mayor D's request.)

8. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    From the groups I visit on Facebook:

[​IMG]

And a quick, rough translation I made:

Hey guys, I was at Gamescom and I played Team Sonic Racing (just a bit).
    I admit I didn't play other racing Sonic games (except for Sonic R and Sonic Drift 1+2 XD), but here are my impressions:

- I don't know if I played on a normal PS4 or the Pro one, I hope it was the plain PS4; unlocked framerate, reaching 60fps in some moments, but for the most part being far from that, I ended up not liking it very much, sadly.

- Your teammates' AI could be better, as many collisions happened with them.

+ The character/car controls are good, rich and responsive.

+ Many racing items, that were, all of them, useful.

9. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    @Yeow Thanks! It's interesting that the original post got removed. Hopefully the original plan for Forces will surface some day.

10. Well. I had fun with the gamescom demo, but the framerate could be better.

11. Beltway

Beltway

Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes

Sega Europe uploaded a video of people attending Gamescom talking about the TSR Demo.

+ - It goes exactly as you would expect.  

12. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Whoa, is the guy at 19 seconds cosplaying as Eddie Riggs from Brutal Legend?

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Now somebody please upload a similar video but with 100% criticism. :v:

14. Yeah, that video is very reactionary.

I'm expecting it to be good, but not Mario Kart good. To be fair to Sega Nintendo have been banging out Mario Kart for song long now that they are masters of their craft. Sega still has a long way to go until they catch up.

15. Sega/Sumo don't have too much of a gap to close, especially considering that Nintendo took cues from ASSR for MK7 and then ASRT for MK8. Well, so long as this doesn't prove to be taking too many steps back.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nintendo took cues how exactly?

17. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Well, PAX is more accessible and has TSR ready to play? Any expectations since Gamescom or are we expecting more of the same?

18. So I misrembered for MK7, but MK8 certainly did. I forgot MK 7 had the underwater transformation in a handful of tracks. SART came out and vastly improved the concept of environmental transformations, even building a majority of the tracks around it. ASRT properly introduced flight as opposed to simply glding. I suppose MK8 just kept and slightly improved the gliding, but the flight puts Sumo ahead imo on that front.

MK8 did bring in the horn as item, which stems from SSAR. Maybe its my own opinion, but I've always thought the more extensive use of underwater sections in MK8 was a result of how well-recieved SART was.

Hmm, I wonder if Nintendo will ever add missions? Do we know if TSR does yet?

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nintendo had missions in Mario Kart before back in Mario Kart DS, but they didnt keep them for future games for some reason.

20. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Lack of hype seemed to bury new Story Mode details here.
    http://youtu.be/K4RXHH-h7-U
    Dodonpa the Tanooki invites Sonic and pals to race is the set up here.