don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Whitehead's not talking about making a 3D sonic, but making a 3D game generally. I remember he made some comments a few years back that he was making a 3D game that was like a dreamcast title. I'd love to see what he could do with 3D.

Realistically speaking though, I imagine he would work on a 3D Sonic game if he had the option.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah thinking about it more this is probably the clearest and most sensible interpretation and the one that's most likely correct here.

Guess I'm just so wanting of Taxman/Christian to continue his work with Sega whether it be 2D or 3D and though it'd be super interesting to see an original project from him I do hope he continues to work with Sega on Sonic - particularly on that hypothetical all-original zones Mania-style game we all want as the successor to Mania.

Aaron did say at SXSW that Sega has "locked Christian Whitehead away" heavily inferring they intend to work with him again - so I do hope that intention comes to light eventually.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I would imagine that had to do with him finalizing Mania Plus and overseeing the overhaul patch; while I don't deny that a 3D Sonic headed by Taxman would be amazing and I wouldn't be shocked that work has or will soon begin, the comments during SxSW almost definitely has nothing to do with it.

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Sorry for quoting myself, but does anybody know? I don't think that the stuff inside the art booklet has been properly documented anywhere yet...

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    [​IMG]

Sonic Mania Plus is the highest-rated Sonic game for 25 years. 90 Metascore on Switch.

6. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Highest rated Sonic game in 25 years. That's awesome and so well deserved.

So, it's the highest rated since Sonic CD?

I received my copy of the Jp (PS4) version today <3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The JP variant of the Mega Drive version box art is god like. I need it.

But congrats Mania Plus team. A well deserved accomplishment. You've done better than every game Modern Sonic has ever shown up in :v:

8. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Excellent news and it's astounding that Mania Plus beat out the original Mania in terms of reviews. It's better in almost every way so the critical success is well-deserved. Hopefully Sega takes note of the re-release doing even better than the first (at least in reviews though early sales reports are also promising) and this ensures a successor at some point. So happy the game's doing so well.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    'cuse me while I bring up this old nugget from Mr Lange:

On that note, I personally found it a bit odd that the marketing / PR team avoided referring to numbered scores when referring to Mania's critical reception prior to this tweet. The accolades trailer for the original trailer and the official Mania Plus description (on press releases / back of the retail release) only referred to quotes, such as GameSpot describing it as the "Best Sonic game ever!"

In some fairness, Adventure 2 was --prior to Mania [Plus]-- the best-reviewed major Sonic release in years, and is only behind Mania Plus (Switch) by one point at 89.

Then again, that was the original DC release. The enhanced re-release on the Gamecube that added new content to the base game and was released some months after the original game (not unlike Mania Plus....) received a 73. :v:

10. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I also received my JP copy today, I plan to scan everything in High Res this week.

11. corneliab

corneliab

It's great that Mania Plus is reviewing well so far, but I think it should be pointed out for perspective's sake that there are much fewer reviews for it than the original game. Comparing the platforms that garnered the most reviews on metacritic (PS4 for both), you're looking at 70 reviews vs. 19 right now and a negligible difference in the average score.

I imagine many of the outlets that weighed in on the original Mania won't bother scoring Plus. Also, with such relatively few reviews at the moment Mania Plus is particularly vulnerable to having its average pulled down by sub-9 reviews.

Even so, it seems safe to say that Mania hasn't lost its critical appeal over the past year. A Sonic Adventure 2 Battle situation this ain't, lol

12. Speeps

Speeps

Nonsense, Mania Plus doesn't come close to the highest rated Sonic game of all time.

That said it took them long enough to beat SA2, haha. I'm glad that this game was the one to do it though. It's really good.

13. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Still a resounding success either way even if it's a less impressive feat than the original Mania achieved given it's a smaller pool of reviews. I just hope Sega takes note of Plus' success though given their reaction to how the original Mania did I'm hopeful and optimistic we'll see more Mania-style games at some point. Sales are probably more important than reviews. I read on ResetERA that Plus' chart debut in the UK was the best since Sonic Heroes for example which is quite the achievement given that was forever ago. Sonic is still immensely popular in the UK it seems and Plus' retail presence seems to be amplifying sales relative to the original Mania which was digital-only. If I'm reading these sales reports correctly Plus has a stronger debut in the UK than the original Mania - right?

It's an excellent start for the game (excellent reviews, very promising early sales reports). I just hope Sega isn't oblivious to all this and Plus' success has influence on future Sonic games.

14. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    I think I've been hit with a bizarre bug in Time Attack mode on the Switch version: all of my Replays appear to have vanished, but the game tells me that I have "insufficient replay space" and asks me to delete old replays if I try to save a new one. I can't delete them individually, though, since the Replay menu insists they don't exist: I seem to be left with no choice but to use the Data menu to wipe them all. If I select a time with a replay attached while selecting an act to play, the game opens an invisible menu and lets me move between options, but no options do anything, preventing me from watching, challenging, or deleting a replay from within this menu too.

I'm wondering if there's some sort of issue where the supposed maximum amount of replays and the point at which the game tells you that you've hit that maximum aren't the same value, or if a value passed to the Replay menu overflowed. Needless to say, this has stopped my speedrun attempts dead in their tracks.

Has anybody else seen reports of this? I'm struggling to find any information on it, but confirmation that it's not just my copy of the game would be appreciated.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Maybe there should be a separate bug report thread for consulting things like this (wink wink).

16. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I have only ever heard of Gamespot. Who are all these other reviewers?

EDIT: Okay, and EGM.

Also, is there a trial/demo of Mania out for PC? I haven't played it yet but don't want to get it if I don't like it's feel.

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The next level of Sonic speedruns is here with Ray.

Holy crap, take a gander at these.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    There is no demo. The most basic way I can think of it is, if you like the MD Sonic games, you'll probably like Mania, if you don't, then Mania probably won't do much for you.

19. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Oh hell yes, this is absolutely true. Check out my friend's run of Stardust Speedway 2 with Ray:

https://twitter.com/chenginerd/status/1022343689908043776

20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I liked them, but it just visually looks so much like Chaotix to me that it has scared me off this long to even try it.