don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    That's the best part about watching your translated videos. It's actually shocking how different the Dubtitles are a lot of the time. I'll have to have a proper watch through the Japanese Forces translation soon!

2. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I think a lot of people believe you. Although there are some on the SSMB who seem to be a bit sceptical :v:

Are there any other interesting tidbits in the annotations of the script?

3. Windii

Windii

Robot Stonks Riser Member
    Not much, though there are a few cells labelled "AW" (Aaron Webber?) which has a few comments that I thought were pretty funny.
    Tails defeats Eggman alone in SA1. Why is he suddenly so weak here? Is it just dramatic effect?
    Tails and co just let Sonic get captured? Big loophole here.
    Wait, wha? Silver? Why is he here?
    Lets not call them Buddy. Sounds childish.
    Why doesn't Tails remember Generations?
    "We're going in Hard and Fast" will be the most played line from the game on YouTube out of context
    UGH! We do this every single time. EVEry SINGLE TIME. Generations end. 06 End. SA2 end. ALL OF THEM. Whyyyyyy (on the "Sonic's friends cheering during the final boss" part)

4. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Wow, really? Why did he put the annotations there for?

5. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Too bad they didn't take on board what AW said. I agree with all of those comments.

Excellent work as usual Windii. Out of interest did this document have any character profiles or add character artwork like the Sonic 2006 one (I'm guessing not).

6. Windii

Windii

No. Besides the script and those comments, it's rather boring. Infinite's name was already changed from Zero (which was his original name according to Nakamura) by this point, for example. If those are indeed Webber's comments then I can't help but feel bad for him. He looked fucking dead on the sonicofficial stream the day Forces came out, so this cannot be a coincidence.

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Presumably this document would have been shared with someone in Japan while it was being worked on, with such comments being for feedback purposes.

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    if that's the case, is Aaron Webber partially responsible for the name change of Buddy?

And I didn't realise he had this much say (which I realise wasn't much) in the games. I thought he just marketed them.

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    My god these comments are hilarious. Are we sure they weren't added by the dude that leaked the document ?

10. Windii

Windii

They are clearly labelled as "AW" so no.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow, that kinda makes me sad. Someone tried to warn them and they just ignored all of it, and sure enough everything he pointed out fans ridiculed and hated.

FFS Sonic Team listen.

12. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    What a leak. Ugh, these are the worst in your daily work routine.

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Someone at Sega warning Sonic Team of problems with the storyline that they ultimately ignored? Now that seems way too believable for it to be true. :v:

Reminds me of the legitimate Smash Bros. Ultimate leak posted on 4chan that people blew off as the fakest of fakes.

[​IMG]

14. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Wow. I'm glad Aaron actually cares about the continuity on a deeper level than just references and fan-service. It would be so easy for him to just shrug and say "Sonic story, amirite?", so the fact he tried to address these things is promising. Makes me wonder how a Sonic game would go if he had more creative control over the finished product.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think my favorite part is where he's like "wait. Silver? Why?"

Seriously they never explain that. And the comic doesn't count that was definitely just an ass cover. Who thought Silver was a good idea anyway? Also good that he called out the cheer them on in the final fight schlock.

16. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    Their basis for discussing continuity (aka this document) doesn't seem right and should be handled separately. What is it good for? Working under circumstances where it's not quite clear what it takes to fulfill a dream leads to nothing. On the other hand, if the answer to misery was something as simple as "continuity" the industry wouldn't have such a hard time presenting new iconic names. Aaron had a point there, but could it be that these entries served another purpose?

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Specifically with that Silver comment, I almost wonder if the Ian Flynn prequel comics were a direct response to these problems that Sonic Team just didn't want to deal with re-writing so they used the comics to retroactively validate the lazy story decisions.

And they ARE lazy story decisions. I don't know if there were more ambitious story beats planned originally that got whittled down, or if there just weren't enough drafts written, but either way, the end product is garbage regardless of which language you played the game in.

It just feels like the pool Sonic Team has to play in has gotten incrementally smaller and smaller with every release. Three years ago they were making a MOBILE GAME For goodness sakes. Are SoJ trying to phase out having a dedicated development team for Sonic games? Because at the rate they're going, that's sure what it looks like is going to happen, intentionally or not.

18. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Meh, that's all I got. I'd like to say something here about the internal notes presented but Meh. I can't even be arsed to feel anything on the subject.

Sonic Forces was a mediocre game. Hearing someone tried to warn them but were dismissed only validates what we already suspected.

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Probably pretty safe to assume. Particularly how Silver's comic also answers "Wait, why is Knuckles the leader of all people...?" at the same time. The comic is also a Western affair, so I can imagine it being their initiative to try and fill in some of the obvious gaps the main game left while also being able to make it a fun little promotional thing. When it comes to Forces, you gotta do the best you can with what you got, I guess. All of Forces is just such a shame.

20. Windii

Windii

Ian Flynn was indeed supposed to write for Forces. I heard he got as far as to write his own entire script, but they just used this one due to the fact that voice actors already started recording lines.

This reminds me all too much of when Drummond relocated so he could record for Shadow the Hedgehog only to find out they'd replaced him without telling him.